Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:12:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ROI question on mining rigs  (Read 7712 times)
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 07:28:47 PM

I invested a little under $10k in hardware, this includes electrical upgrades and also cooling units

https://i.imgur.com/MRqCW8B.png

How many kW are you running and what are you paying per kWh?  Have you seen your electric bill yet?

$0.075/kWh, used a little under 5000kWh last month

Man that is good! I pay over double that ($0.20/kWh) congrats man those are good earnings indeed for only 10k investment!
eth4lyfe

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 09:01:58 PM

I invested a little under $10k in hardware, this includes electrical upgrades and also cooling units

https://i.imgur.com/MRqCW8B.png

How many kW are you running and what are you paying per kWh?  Have you seen your electric bill yet?

$0.075/kWh, used a little under 5000kWh last month

Man that is good! I pay over double that ($0.20/kWh) congrats man those are good earnings indeed for only 10k investment!

I wasn't very descriptive with the item names (should probably do that), but I made running totals of how much I spent across newegg / ebay, etc. Most was from Newegg lol https://pastebin.com/KxanE0g8
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 10:50:47 PM

OP after a quick(and pretty rough) calculation I think for about $4000-6000 you can make yourself 3-4 rigs which will net you about $400-$500 in total every month. Now if you could work something out to pay less for power you'd be swimming in money. These new electricity meters are often checked wirelessly and can also have their settings changed this way, without need of opening it up and breaking the seal or whatever. Just a thought Cheesy

Where are you coming up with those numbers?  This guy, blockoperations, is a pretty big miner operator and on his website he has some costs on building a rig - 6 GPU for 2,250.  He includes a break down of the components and prices.  So, for 6k that would only put you at 2.6 rigs.  Maybe it can be done cheaper than blockoperations, but at the same time quality components don't break down as fast.

https://blockoperations.com/6-gpu-mining-rig-amd-rx580-intel-lga-1151-ethereum-zcash

That's if you insist on going to 6-card riser rigs.

For $6750 you can easily build 5 and possibly 6 no-riser 3-card rigs, and if you go with Phillipma's favorite Biostar 4-card board you can probably build 4 or 5 4-card rigs.

The smaller rigs have the advantage that if something breaks, you lose half as much hashrate - at the cost of slightly more power consumption and *usually* somewhat more space needed.

You also get better reliability IME, risers have a bad habit of having issues and 6-card rigs can be a pain to get working reliably since the drivers aren't really INTENDED to handle that many cards.

You also don't NEED a "frame" for a non-riser rig, which saves back some of the money (as does not needing risers) you have to pay for 2 MB/CPU/RAM/drive sets (PS is a push, one big with a GAZILLION connectors to power the GPUs AND the risers vs 2 half-size "normal number of connectors needed" is pretty much the same price on high quality PS).

I'm NOT impressed with a couple of the blockoperations picks:

Not real fond of Antec PS, and their plat PS is *BARELY* more efficient than the EVGA 1300 G2 "gold" or the Seasonic X-1250 "gold" models while costing noticeably more.

They're paying too much for their ram - 4GB is plenty for most mining rigs, and DDR4 still carries a price penalty over DDR3 (but if you INSIST on Intel, most of their recent MB are DDR4).
 I'd suggest 2GB but it's almost impossible to find 1GB SIMMS any more (and they've gotten kinda expen$ive).

Buying the OS on a stick/SSD might make it easier to deploy the rig, but does waste a bit of money over just buying the stick and doing an install of a FREE OS (even the free mining-specific OS distributions).

With all that said though, that site DOES give a good "this is a place to start" on the cost and choices to make for a 6-card riser rig, and their total cost is pretty reasonable all factors considered.

As far as electric cost goes - before I moved into my current place (fixed-price electric built into the rent by negotiation with the landlord before I moved), my last full-month electric bill was for $394.86 all up, on 8640 KWH used, or just a bit under 4.6 c/kwh

I figure about 13k of that was mining gear.

Buying hashrate from Nicehash *can*, sometimes, make more than owning - but most of the time you're fighting other folks that probably don't HAVE any mining gear and you end up paying more than you would make from pointing YOUR gear at Nicehash, much less what you can often make by pointing it at even MORE profitable options.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 11:27:43 PM

I'm lucky... I get deals on computer parts since I live in Silicon Valley....

memory is dirt to me and my friend (he used to be a head at PIIceon back in the day)...

The last H97 Anniversary We ordered for Henry's rackminer only cost $130 shipped... came with ram and processor too.

That price is bonkers if you ask me...

Let me try and break down the price of Henry's Rackminer:

$130 MB+CPU+RAM (ebay score BIN)
$100 Rosewill 4U case (he got a deal on Amazon for damaged box/returned or something retarded)
$100 Coolmax 1600w PSU (his friend sells them)
$80  6x risers (right angle, and 6 pin connector)
$2000 ($400/ea)5x GTX 1080 (used, craigslist)
$600 2x GTX 1070 (Used, CL again)
$25  Ace hardware, aluminum trim for making bracketry to support the GPU
$45 130CFM fans x3
....   I dont think I missed anything else....

That's $3080..... and it does this:
http://zpool.ca/?address=1kLsGT9egk3utSKZH46ydTbKj5oMnmBoN

Presently he has added a second 1070, so he had me put both his 1070's in his home pc so he could game on them as well... that's why you see two miners....   subtract .5Gh if you don't want to count one of the 1070's.  still quite a profit...

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
VyprBTC

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 11:34:09 PM

memory is dirt to me and my friend (he used to be a head at PIIceon back in the day)...

The last H97 Anniversary We ordered for Henry's rackminer only cost $130 shipped... came with ram and processor too.

$100 Rosewill 4U case (he got a deal on Amazon for damaged box/returned or something retarded)
$45 130CFM fans x3

Presently he has added a second 1070, so he had me put both his 1070's in his home pc so he could game on them as well... that's why you see two miners....   subtract .5Gh if you don't want to count one of the 1070's.  still quite a profit...

How are you mining skein?

I am trying using nemos zpool but it's mining everything but skein atm so I don't know how to get it to just mine skein, it keeps rejecting if i delete all algos except skein.

I only have 2 1070's on a windows 10
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 11:59:21 PM

mineskein.bat
Code:
:start
ccminerAlexis78.exe -a skein -o stratum+tcp://skein.mine.zpool.ca:4933 -u 1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP -p **INSERT ID HERE**,c=BTC,skein,stats
goto start

This should get you going.

replace my BTC address with your BTC address; and either delete " **INSERT ID HERE**, " or change it to " SOMETHINGELSE, "

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

VyprBTC

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 12:12:06 AM

mineskein.bat
Code:
ccminerAlexis78.exe -a skein -o stratum+tcp://skein.mine.zpool.ca:4933 -u 1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP -p **INSERT ID HERE**,c=BTC,skein,stats
goto start

replace my BTC address with your BTC address; and either delete " **INSERT ID HERE**, " or change it to " SOMETHINGELSE, "

thanks a ton! i have so much to learn it's staggering
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 12:45:10 AM

mineskein.bat
Code:
goto start

Once you get your feet wet you realize its actually somewhat simple.

The hard part is testing everything over and over and over again....  Its taxing....  This is why I support minerx in what hes doing here with his version of my batch;  it surely lightens the load Wink  He goes that step further and provides a whole package.

I'm an ass and make people do their own work... lol

If you haven't yet, reading through my posts via the batch file link in my signature;  you could learn a lot of the juicy stuff.  Things like the normalization, the original batch file, etc... they all do (hopefully) a good job at describing what's what and how it works and will bring more scope to what you must pay attention to.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

VyprBTC

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 01:45:25 AM

mineskein.bat
Code:
goto start

Once you get your feet wet you realize its actually somewhat simple.

The hard part is testing everything over and over and over again....  Its taxing....  This is why I support minerx in what hes doing here with his version of my batch;  it surely lightens the load Wink  He goes that step further and provides a whole package.

I'm an ass and make people do their own work... lol

If you haven't yet, reading through my posts via the batch file link in my signature;  you could learn a lot of the juicy stuff.  Things like the normalization, the original batch file, etc... they all do (hopefully) a good job at describing what's what and how it works and will bring more scope to what you must pay attention to.

Thanks again I definitely will have have a few, I've basically been reading non stop for the past week - the problem with this the more reading I'm doing, the more money I'm spending on GPU's lol. I just pulled the trigger on 3 more 1080 ti's for a 3 card non riser rig, just trying to figure out which mobo will be able to do this at the best price.

Ok now that I've spent money, back to more reading. Smiley

And again, thanks for your help and time, much love!
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2017, 03:21:51 AM

always glad to lend a hand... its what i'm most proficient at in life I think....

If worst case comes around; follow phil's route and find MB's that have 4x PCIE slots (any combination of 1x-16x) and just hook up 4 cards cause I doubt there will be any issue at all with lane addressing;  or any older 4 by 16x slot motherboard like the 1st gen i7 boards so you don't need risers at all  (as long as they aren't bigger than 2 slot like the evga non-ref cards are)... cause they are relatively inexpensive as a MB/ram/CPU combo second hand.   Many of my miners are on this platform.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

darkshad

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 04:09:36 AM

Alright.  Just broke down and ordered five 1080 ti cards to mine zcash.  Now trying to figure out Linux/Windows.  If Linux, which distro? Does Claymore's program support the 1080 ti cards in Linux?

Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 05:10:34 AM

$45 130CFM fans x3

How are you mining skein?

I am trying using nemos zpool but it's mining everything but skein atm so I don't know how to get it to just mine skein, it keeps rejecting if i delete all algos except skein.

I only have 2 1070's on a windows 10

don't use zpool use yiimp, zpool earnign are 30% less than what is reported in their website, it's indeed a scam, use ccminer 2.0 to mine skein with -a skein parameters, or use the alexis version which is even better more speed

JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2017, 03:37:57 PM

My earnings on zpool speak for themselves via the previous links for my 1PHSD address, or even the 1K address you quoted (ignore the gigantic spike in my last 24hr payout; it was a donation)....  The error you speak of is directly related to the spread between coins buys/sells on the marketplace and volatility therein.   Notice how most coins swing by ~20% Roll Eyes

I see my payout pending line fluctuate with the vary coins I hold on exchanges and am mining (AUR, DGB, etcetera)... so I have found where it comes from myself.  I challenge you to do the same and see the exact correlation.  Just because before the coin sold it was valued at something, doesn't mean people are paying that for said coin;  buy orders are typically under, and not always 1 satoshi under.

To the 2nd reply above,

I use windows;  Just download the latest driver, and used the alexis78 version.   Easy as pie for the layman to set up; and using the nemosminer package you can download the latest miner apps in one shot.  You can use his batch file, or one of mine.. they all have different uses and work differently depending on what one you use for which feature you like best.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 01:32:10 AM

If worst case comes around; follow phil's route and find MB's that have 4x PCIE slots

Or go my route and build 3-card rigs with no risers and still have the spacing for good cooling - and they're not much IF ANY MORE per GPU than riser rigs while being noticeably easier to set up, get working, and tend to be more reliable.

Mining generally does NOT need PCI-E 3.0 for full speed performance, as it's not bandwidth-heavy to the GPU in most cases - so going a lower-cost AMD route on the AM3/AM3+ socket and DDR3 (which is STILL cheaper at the low end than Intel's needed DDR4, though the price gap IS finally narrowing) is very viable.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2017, 05:30:03 AM

If worst case comes around; follow phil's route and find MB's that have 4x PCIE slots

Or go my route and build 3-card rigs with no risers and still have the spacing for good cooling - and they're not much IF ANY MORE per GPU than riser rigs while being noticeably easier to set up, get working, and tend to be more reliable.

Mining generally does NOT need PCI-E 3.0 for full speed performance, as it's not bandwidth-heavy to the GPU in most cases - so going a lower-cost AMD route on the AM3/AM3+ socket and DDR3 (which is STILL cheaper at the low end than Intel's needed DDR4, though the price gap IS finally narrowing) is very viable.

Can you elaborate on which PCIE specs are viable for mining and which ones are not viable / when x would become not viable anymore?

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
VyprBTC

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 06:08:43 AM

Which boards are you using that can handle 3 dual PCIE cards? I would love to know - I'm using all no riser builds but my builds are all 2 GPU, would love to get some 3 or even 4 no Riser rigs setup!

Thanks, and if you know of any boards that support 4 that would be awesome as well. I've seen this one but not sure if it will fit 4 1080Ti's -

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html#productFeature-section

It looks like the 4th one on the bottom wouldn't be able to accommodate a 4th dual GPU
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 07:50:33 AM

Asrock 970X Extreme 4 on socket AM3+
Asrock FM2A88X Extreme 6+ on socket FM2+ on my usual "mixed rigs with an APU"

There are a LOT of similar options for Intel, and several others for AMD, but this pair tend to be the lowest cost or VERY close to it, and they *work*.

4, you're looking at a very limited selection of Intel boards - the one that sticks in my mind is a Biostar "Racer" model with 4 x PCI-E 3.0 16x slots (but not all of them are electrically 16x, which isn't a significant issue for mining on).

The MSI MB you linked to WILL support 4 dual cards - you just need to run it as an open rig, or use a case like the Thermaltake Vista V34 that has specific "8 peripheral slots" support.
 Cards do NOT have to overlap the motherboard if the case makes provision for that (most cases don't).

Just don't try to run more than 1 of the Gigabyte AORUS cards on a setup like that, they won't physically fit (those cards are at least 2.5 slots wide and some apparently are 3).

The MAJOR down side on 4 card rigs is cooling gets a lot tougher to make work. I doubt you will be able to keep a 4-card non-riser rig full of 1080 ti cards cool - it's hard enough by report to keep 4 card rigs like that with RX 470 or 480 cards cool unless you undervolt a lot and turn the TDP limit down, and those are only 150 watt OR LESS cards to start with.

I end up using one of the Gigabyte "ITX" very short cards in slot 3 of my *3* card rigs in order to keep the middle card cool (the middle card gets ONE fan completely unobstructed and the other fan(s) almost completely blocked, vs the #1 card having all fans with a narrow space for airflow and therefore partly obstructed), running 3 x 1070s.

Mining is NOT bandwidth-intensive to any significant degree, or riser rigs with cards running from 1x slots would show VERY bad performance on those cards.

VyprBTC

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 08:30:08 AM

Asrock 970X Extreme 4 on socket AM3+
Asrock FM2A88X Extreme 6+ on socket FM2+ on my usual "mixed rigs with an APU"

There are a LOT of similar options for Intel, and several others for AMD, but this pair tend to be the lowest cost or VERY close to it, and they *work*.

4, you're looking at a very limited selection of Intel boards - the one that sticks in my mind is a Biostar "Racer" model with 4 x PCI-E 3.0 16x slots (but not all of them are electrically 16x, which isn't a significant issue for mining on).

The MSI MB you linked to WILL support 4 dual cards - you just need to run it as an open rig, or use a case like the Thermaltake Vista V34 that has specific "8 peripheral slots" support.
 Cards do NOT have to overlap the motherboard if the case makes provision for that (most cases don't).

Just don't try to run more than 1 of the Gigabyte AORUS cards on a setup like that, they won't physically fit (those cards are at least 2.5 slots wide and some apparently are 3).

The MAJOR down side on 4 card rigs is cooling gets a lot tougher to make work. I doubt you will be able to keep a 4-card non-riser rig full of 1080 ti cards cool - it's hard enough by report to keep 4 card rigs like that with RX 470 or 480 cards cool unless you undervolt a lot and turn the TDP limit down, and those are only 150 watt OR LESS cards to start with.

I end up using one of the Gigabyte "ITX" very short cards in slot 3 of my *3* card rigs in order to keep the middle card cool (the middle card gets ONE fan completely unobstructed and the other fan(s) almost completely blocked, vs the #1 card having all fans with a narrow space for airflow and therefore partly obstructed), running 3 x 1070s.

Mining is NOT bandwidth-intensive to any significant degree, or riser rigs with cards running from 1x slots would show VERY bad performance on those cards.

That is a ton of awesome infomation, thank you so much for all the detail it's greatly appreciated and definitely helps me understand all the wonderful stuff much better!
taufik0911

Activity: 1274
Merit: 104

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 04:17:15 AM

what is the faster GPU for mining? i want to build mining rig
i've been try with AMD A6 profit mining just 0.000011 BTC per day

Macadonian

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 07:33:07 AM

what is the faster GPU for mining? i want to build mining rig
i've been try with AMD A6 profit mining just 0.000011 BTC per day

The fastest for mining the ZEC is the nVidia 1080Ti.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: