Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:46:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My first 8gpu rig 6 pci + 2 pci m.2 need recommendation on PSU  (Read 3834 times)
mewhoyou (OP)

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 02:43:59 PM

Going to start building my first 8 gpu rig..
Celeron
4gb Ram x 1
120gb SDD

Gigabyte RX570 x 8
Riser x 10

Any recommendation on the PSU?

will 1300 Gold fit the job?

Ethereum the Next Big Thing?
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 03:31:02 PM

Going to start building my first 8 gpu rig..
Celeron
4gb Ram x 1
120gb SDD

Gigabyte RX570 x 8
Riser x 10

Any recommendation on the PSU?

will 1300 Gold fit the job?

you not going to build a 8gpu rig with that configuration Smiley
btw , you also going to need a motherboard  Grin

and 1300watts psu not going to be ok for a 8 gpu build without proper bios mods , fine tune , undervolting
you should get 1600 watts psu

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 03:52:10 PM

got that covered Smiley sharing my setup soon...

mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 03:52:59 PM

Its going to be 1 gpu on board and 7 on risers ... so i think i am good at 1300w

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 03:59:24 PM

Its going to be 1 gpu on board and 7 on risers ... so i think i am good at 1300w

there is no different if the gpus are on risers or onboard , still going to use the same power Smiley
1300 watts not enough Smiley

let us know if you going to be able to get 8 gpu working in that mobo  Grin

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
stef_stef

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 04:18:50 PM

there is no different if the gpus are on risers or onboard , still going to use the same power Smiley
1300 watts not enough Smiley

let us know if you going to be able to get 8 gpu working in that mobo  Grin

Not only he would not be able to power the cards, but most 1300w PSU do not have enough cabling to do so Cheesy
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 04:33:45 PM

Oh yee of little faith ... I will upload a YouTube video and you better subscribe Smiley

maleemk

Activity: 304

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 04:41:29 PM

The idea of using M.2 is good. but still lets see how it gonna work in the end. Ill for sure see your youtube video and subscribe it gonna help lot of members to add 1-2 more GPUs using M.2 slots.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

░░░░░░░░███████████████████████░░░
░░░░░░░░▀██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀
░░░░░░░░░▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀█▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░░░░░░░▄█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░░░░░▄█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▄█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░▄█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░▄█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▀
░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░

evakka

Activity: 700
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 08:17:05 PM

Nice trick using M.2 slots!

It's doable to power more than 6 cards with this PSU indeed.
What OS are you going to use?
Just mentioning... I suppose that you are aware that windows 10 consumes more power than Linux distributions...

In any case, I would also suggest to use a "bigger" PSU.
Even if you do all the necessary adjustments to the cards for reducing power, the PSU will work in its limits
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 09:42:34 PM

Point taken but I will be using 1500 as I will push this with dual mining. Cards alone I expect 1200 watt and additional 300 for the system.

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 09:50:38 PM

Point taken but I will be using 1500 as I will push this with dual mining. Cards alone I expect 1200 watt and additional 300 for the system.

If you expect the system to draw 1500 watts a 1500w PSU is not nearly enough.....you will want at least 1800w. Pushing a PSU to its max rating will both lower the efficiency by a bunch, burn the PSU out more quickly, and most likely cause a bunch of crashes/hangs as the PSU will not be able to regulate its voltage properly at 100% usage. Thats on top of the instability you are building into the system by running too many cards on one board.

That looks like the Asus Prime H270 Plus...I see no supplementary power for all those PCI-E slots. Is that not a concern for your build running 8 cards?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 10:51:17 PM

If you expect the system to draw 1500 watts a 1500w PSU is not nearly enough.....you will want at least 1800w. Pushing a PSU to its max rating will both lower the efficiency by a bunch, burn the PSU out more quickly, and most likely cause a bunch of crashes/hangs as the PSU will not be able to regulate its voltage properly at 100% usage. Thats on top of the instability you are building into the system by running too many cards on one board.

That looks like the Asus Prime H270 Plus...I see no supplementary power for all those PCI-E slots. Is that not a concern for your build running 8 cards?

I am trying to build within a certain budget. I will be drawing power from 2 PSU. I am looking at 850w gold. 1 psu will power the system, 2 boards, and all risers where as the other unit will power the remaning 6 psu alone. I had an issue splitting riser to two PSU which gave a reverse current and blew one of them.

Either that or i get 1 PSU to power up the System and Risers and another PSU to power up the GPU. Rough calculations of 90watts per GPU alone would be sufficient. Ultimately this would be a better setup for me. But surely its going to be very messy....

mcturkey

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 12:16:39 AM

I am trying to build within a certain budget. I will be drawing power from 2 PSU. I am looking at 850w gold. 1 psu will power the system, 2 boards, and all risers where as the other unit will power the remaning 6 psu alone. I had an issue splitting riser to two PSU which gave a reverse current and blew one of them.

Either that or i get 1 PSU to power up the System and Risers and another PSU to power up the GPU. Rough calculations of 90watts per GPU alone would be sufficient. Ultimately this would be a better setup for me. But surely its going to be very messy....

You should not use a different PSU for the riser than you use for the GPU.  The powered USB-cable risers should never have power beyond that necessary to carry the signal, and will not short something out (outside of a catastrophic failure).  The GPU will draw some power from the riser, and some from the 6/8-pin on the card.  These two sources should be the same.
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 12:38:19 AM

You should not use a different PSU for the riser than you use for the GPU.  The powered USB-cable risers should never have power beyond that necessary to carry the signal, and will not short something out (outside of a catastrophic failure).  The GPU will draw some power from the riser, and some from the 6/8-pin on the card.  These two sources should be the same.

Will construct the frame today and start piecing it together... Smiley

Spavvn

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 01:03:55 AM

I am waiting for M.2 risers to arrive, will try similar project. Really interested in your results.

I'd try two identical 850W gold PSUs, they ain't that expensive either. My last build was 2x750W TT connected via copper wire and it is working fine. Just keep in mind to use same psu on GPUs and corresponding extenders. Power on AC setting on MBO also recommended.
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 03:14:59 AM

can not wait to see your working , dual mining 8 gpu setup on youtube  Grin
Just because you added 2 x m2 adapters , your system not going to be plug and play  Wink Grin

forget 2 psu setup ,forget 1300 watts psu !!! get a strong psu with at least 1600 watts , or you going to have a very unstable setup ...

mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:02:42 PM

can not wait to see your working , dual mining 8 gpu setup on youtube  Grin
Just because you added 2 x m2 adapters , your system not going to be plug and play  Wink Grin

forget 2 psu setup ,forget 1300 watts psu !!! get a strong psu with at least 1600 watts , or you going to have a very unstable setup ...

thanks ... i have just finish the frame... got a factory to start laser cutting the frame... ops ... Smiley

about the PSU i am more keen on 2 850w than 1600w. Just that money spend seems more practical ... the more the better...  its just 1600 with so much cable is not giving me the comfort.

muratizm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:23:43 PM

Although 570 uses a bit more power, with proper bios mod, they can run around 110-120w max each card.
8 x 120 = 960w
mobo ram ssd cpu is no more than 100w
1060w total.

why 1300w psu is not enough?
if it has enough vga (6 or 8 pin) cables and can provide enough AMPS for hungry graph cards, It probably can?
however, buying 2x 850w power is probably cheaper and provide better current to whole rig.
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:54:15 PM

Maybe you are more lucky than me but I could not detect any gpu using an M.2 to pci-e adapter. Got refunded at least.

I do have a 8 (RX480 8Gb) GPU rig running from a z270 with 1x3 pci-e switch.

But I am using about 1500w of power. I am not undervoltage alot(-96mv) with memory timing shift and a little over clock on memory. But my aim is to get zero memory errors and have a stable system.

Keep us posted on your m. 2 test run. Hope it works for you

Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:59:03 PM

I am running an 1200w and 650w psu on that system. All modular and platinum. Not cheap but power is expensive where I am and loading is MB+5gpu and 3gpu. About just under 80%
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: