Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:00:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My first 8gpu rig 6 pci + 2 pci m.2 need recommendation on PSU  (Read 3842 times)
mewhoyou (OP)

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 10:56:02 PM

Maybe you are more lucky than me but I could not detect any gpu using an M.2 to pci-e adapter. Got refunded at least.

I do have a 8 (RX480 8Gb) GPU rig running from a z270 with 1x3 pci-e switch.

But I am using about 1500w of power. I am not undervoltage alot(-96mv) with memory timing shift and a little over clock on memory. But my aim is to get zero memory errors and have a stable system.

Keep us posted on your m. 2 test run. Hope it works for you

All my miners are running 6 x 470 with a 850 psu. This would be my first set where i will start to do dual mining. Try to remove the hassle of insufficient power when I push it further.

Ethereum the Next Big Thing?
muratizm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 07:25:45 AM

Yesterday we've tested rx570.
it shows 120w usage on default (+ modded bios ram timings) without any voltage tweak.
msi armor 470 4gb shows 84w in full load in same system, but it draws more from wall.

rx570 says 120w, but it's more accurate (perhaps 132w from PSU, but more from wall due to power factor, mine is 80+ psu no bronze/gold/silver)
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2017, 03:48:05 PM

you always need to know a real power draw for your system ... Gpuz measuring only the gpu power draw , not any another components on the vga cards !
Always check the power draw at the wall.
If you are using ur psu at max wattage , there is a chance your mining rig going to be very unstable . The optimal wattage is around  80% of the max rated wattage.
Yes you can way undervlot , underclock your 8 cards system for dual mining , but you are going to lose from max hashrate on both coins you are mining .
Yes you can run the 8 cards setup from 1300 watts psu , but then forget the max hashrate you can get out from your cards , in that case , better to build a 6-7 cards setup with proper bios mod , im talking about bios mod , not paste and copy mem straps !!!

Dont be cheap with the psu !!!

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 04:17:03 PM

Houston we have LIFT Off!!!! aLL 8 CARDS have booted up.

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2017, 03:46:55 PM

Houston!  U have a call ! if your system is up and running stable with 8 cards , im sure that youtube video you mentioned earlier  is up ? Can we have a link ?  Grin Grin Grin so we can see the miner program is running hours , days without any error with 8 cards stable  Wink

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 05:12:09 PM

Nice project! Good to hear you got all 8 cards working. I will definitely check out your YouTube channel as well when you post it.

May I ask if you are running a Skylake or Kabylake processor on the motherboard? Reason I ask is I heard that some boards have had issues running too many GPUs with Kabylake processors.
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 03:27:03 PM

Houston we have LIFT Off!!!! aLL 8 CARDS have booted up.

Houston ! Houston ! What happened ? Engine failure ?  Grin Grin Grin
Can we have a youtube link as you promised ?  So we can see the miner program is running hours , days without any error with 8 cards stable , or at least some screenshot so all of us can see your op system recognized all 8 cards and hashing ?  Wink

Your post From another topic looks like you have some power issue :

There is a slight problem currently facing which is the mobo has insufficient power ... i am setting up a 8 card and the board is givin in.

"the mobo has insufficient power" are you sure is not your PSU ? Wink
or maybe you celeron cpu (paired with 4gb of ram) can not handle all those pci-e lanes ?  Wink

Bare

Activity: 130
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 06:12:06 PM

First thing I learned when I started mining is NEVER EVER cheap out on your psu!
Listen to these guys mewhoyou, psu is the heart of your rig, I even went as far as getting myself 1700w platimax,(which I know is an overkill for my rig with 4x390 but is capable powering 6x390, problem is you only get 5x 2x8pin pcie cables and you have to order 6th separately)
Sure as hell never had any power related problems with any of my rigs. you can get a good deal for enermax platimax 1700w if you're from EU, ~300€ compared to all other competitors which are usually priced around ~400€  Wink
blacklig

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 09:00:59 PM

First thing I learned when I started mining is NEVER EVER cheap out on your psu!
Listen to these guys mewhoyou, psu is the heart of your rig, I even went as far as getting myself 1700w platimax,(which I know is an overkill for my rig with 4x390 but is capable powering 6x390, problem is you only get 5x 2x8pin pcie cables and you have to order 6th separately)
Sure as hell never had any power related problems with any of my rigs. you can get a good deal for enermax platimax 1700w if you're from EU, ~300€ compared to all other competitors which are usually priced around ~400€  Wink

You are not spending your money wisely. You should better buy another GPU and some decent PSU for like 100 EUR. I use those "normal" brands for my PSUs and have problem like once or twice, got replaced under warranty and no problem till then.

and to OP: yes, you will get difficulties with MB as there are also power lines giving juice to PCIes and if you are using 8of them, you could burn your MB.. Happened to me  Smiley It is best to create your own powered PCIe risers so you are not drawing almost no current from MB..
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:34:15 PM

Sorry for not updating this thread ... I seem to have a problem and talking to the factory about the mobo. It seems the board I am using has insufficient power supply to the board and they requested I should use another board.

I was able to run 7 cards but damn it was awesome when it was able to detect the 8th card but when start mining things get from bad to worse. Include the board going up to 80c which was scary.

Few sleepless nights  Huh

raxel

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:47:02 AM

hi......

i use the same 8 GPU
but use 2 1000W power

i have 480 *6 & 580 *2

power1 800W
power2 750W

it's really use

sorry eng bad......

my PC
asrock z270 killer SLI
ASUS RX480 *6
giga RX580 *2

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 02:53:56 AM

hi......

i use the same 8 GPU
but use 2 1000W power

i have 480 *6 & 580 *2

power1 800W
power2 750W

it's really use

sorry eng bad......

my PC
asrock z270 killer SLI
ASUS RX480 *6
giga RX580 *2

few picute about your rig and a few screenshot about your mining software running stable would be great Smiley or its never happened Smiley

raxel

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:17:34 AM

http://imgur.com/2O6B6Av
http://imgur.com/GYla8md
http://imgur.com/5DMcKoY
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 03:35:56 AM

Those pictures are great , but all 8 cards hashing ? all cards are recognized ? mining software running stable ? i still did not see any screenshot Smiley for some reason Smiley

raxel

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:05:35 AM

i am new user for mining
just diy PC 20years
the device just run 1 hours OK(8 GPU)
next week online...
today just test.....

and sorry .....
i use 2 X 1000W power
relly use is 800W&700W

http://imgur.com/6hSASYx
http://imgur.com/n2VKzvQ
http://imgur.com/Ew6MeAH
http://imgur.com/YrDTqAF
http://imgur.com/JY8s93G
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 06:42:00 AM

Sorry for not updating this thread ... I seem to have a problem and talking to the factory about the mobo. It seems the board I am using has insufficient power supply to the board and they requested I should use another board.

I was able to run 7 cards but damn it was awesome when it was able to detect the 8th card but when start mining things get from bad to worse. Include the board going up to 80c which was scary.

Few sleepless nights  Huh

Are you not using powered risers? No mb can provide 8x 75W = 600W via the PCI-E bus.
daynomate

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 07:55:52 AM

Maybe you are more lucky than me but I could not detect any gpu using an M.2 to pci-e adapter. Got refunded at least.

I do have a 8 (RX480 8Gb) GPU rig running from a z270 with 1x3 pci-e switch.

But I am using about 1500w of power. I am not undervoltage alot(-96mv) with memory timing shift and a little over clock on memory. But my aim is to get zero memory errors and have a stable system.

Keep us posted on your m. 2 test run. Hope it works for you

Hey, how is the pci-e splitter? Any issues and where did you get it from?
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 03:03:35 PM

i am new user for mining
just diy PC 20years
next week online...
today just test.....

and sorry .....
i use 2 X 1000W power
relly use is 800W&700W

good job ! now you just need to build some kind of frame for your rig Smiley

mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:30:02 PM

i am new user for mining
just diy PC 20years
next week online...
today just test.....

and sorry .....
i use 2 X 1000W power
relly use is 800W&700W

good job ! now you just need to build some kind of frame for your rig Smiley

Thanks for the supporting words ... just a quick update... i had all cards working but the mobo is warmer than i would like. I had actually written to the manufacturer and they mention they will look into my complain. I took things apart and place it on a temporary rigs as below.

Well I am getting a custom setup going. My team plans to build a 5U server rack with 8 GPU. Here are the prototype.

devkowow

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:04:18 PM

First of all, 1300w PSU would be sufficient if you have enough cables. Buying expensive PSU - pointless, buying oversized PSU - pointless. You have to take into consideration only 2 things. Your system power draw is around 100% of PSU power rating or below and PSU is gold rated or above. That is it.

All those comments - get expensive PSU, get 2x1000w or what ever other wattage PSU are complete BS and are factless. Period. I got couple of 8 gpus (gtx 1070) rigs running with SINGLE 1000w gold rated PSU! Stable! First of all, to all people giving those random things like unstable, reduced lifetime etc I would suggest go and study little bit of structure of PSU and how they work.

Most of normal PSU have 5 or more year warranty, meaning you can run them straight at 100% load of at least 5 years! End of the story.

One I am using is Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W PSU that have 4 12V 30A power rails. Quick calculation P=IV=1440W + sata cables that supply part of power to GPUs trough powered risers are on different rail thus there is even more total wattage supplied by PSU. And that is just amount it have to reach to have Over Current Protection (OCP) kick in. This is reason I would suggest using multi rail PSU if you require more then 500-650W - extra safety as if you have everything on one rail that have OCP, lets say 100A, then most of your equipment will burn out until OCP trips and switches off PSU.

Most of PSU manufacturers will state total wattage produced from 12V rail while there are 5V and 3.3V rails that supply mobo, sata, etc that are not included and alone are extra 100-150W.

Oh and in all my years working as electronics engineer, we design things capable of working way above values specified to customers!

Currently I am building 8 GPU rigs with 2x750W Chieftec gold rated PSU just because it cost less then getting single 1000w-1300w.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: