Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:49:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High temperature  (Read 301 times)
andrew2k (OP)

Activity: 417
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 06:17:44 PM

I got 2 RX 480's 8GB on my little rig (one is an Asus STRIX OC and the other a Sapphire Nitro+). The Asus works like a charm, 20% speed fan, ~70C, good hashrate in any conditions. Problem is with this guy called Sapphire. I also got an additional RX 460 whom I use for daily tasks and occasional Monero mining.

At first I had my DVI cable plugged into the Sapphire card but decided that the hashrate drops were too big whenever I watched a Youtube video, or whatever, so I decided to plug it into the 460. Until I switched the DVI cable the Sapphire card was mining at around ~70C with 30-40% fan speed. After I switched the output to the RX 460 the temps of the Sapphire went through the roof. Now it stays at round ~75C with 60-70% fan speed. To me it doesn't make any sense but maybe I'm missing something. Whenever I switch the DVI cable back into the Sapphire RX 480 its temps go lower again.

Few details:
-got a Corsair 1000w PSU and I use a single PCI-E cable to deliver power to both RX 480s (in case it matters);
-I haven't changed the location of the rig at any point.

Any ideas?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 06:19:22 PM

75C isn't high temperature at all.
While I agree that such an increase under that condition is peculiar, it shouldn't be worrisome.
andrew2k (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 06:31:00 PM

While I agree that such an increase under that condition is peculiar, it shouldn't be worrisome.

I'm worried about the fans getting used up much faster for no apparent reason. I'm curious if others have encountered something similar and whether or not they found a solution.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2017, 08:23:45 PM

I'm worried about the fans getting used up much faster for no apparent reason. I'm curious if others have encountered something similar and whether or not they found a solution.

Whats happening is your GPU is lightening its processing load on the mining, and trying to balance out for the video rendering...  this in turn, is making it not work quite as hard as if it were just mining.  I know AMD's processors are arrange differently than Nvidia, so this is the first i've heard of this type of thing personally.   I have a machine the mines that I use daily, and even game on while its mining.  I can even run a nvcaputre recording program at the same time as well.  I get about 1/3-1/2 the hashrate that I normally get when not playing games.

Anything under 80* is fine honestly;  I typically (during hot summers) put my GPU's at a fixed 75% fan speed and the GPU's usually hover at an acceptable level.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
andrew2k (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 10:05:52 PM

Whats happening is your GPU is lightening its processing load on the mining, and trying to balance out for the video rendering...  this in turn, is making it not work quite as hard as if it were just mining.  I know AMD's processors are arrange differently than Nvidia, so this is the first i've heard of this type of thing personally.   I have a machine the mines that I use daily, and even game on while its mining.  I can even run a nvcaputre recording program at the same time as well.  I get about 1/3-1/2 the hashrate that I normally get when not playing games.

Anything under 80* is fine honestly;  I typically (during hot summers) put my GPU's at a fixed 75% fan speed and the GPU's usually hover at an acceptable level.

Well your explanation does make sense, didn't really think about this possibility. I guess it will all work out well, although it's a bit noisy at 60%+ fan speed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: