Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:35:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The End Is Near  (Read 11568 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:20:42 PM

I find the blue font color lends a lot of credibility to this argument. Only a counter argument in a red font could convince me otherwise.

Second. And well said. +1

Could everyone else spare an extra internet for RodeoX?
lol, thanks. You will get an invite when my private internet is done.  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:23:12 PM

games are made in 1-4 years and you would like global currency to fall from the tree?

Such an idea as Bitcoin appears once a millenium. Bitcoin lost its chance, now time for its descendants.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:26:51 PM

games are made in 1-4 years and you would like global currency to fall from the tree?

Such an idea as Bitcoin appears once a millenium. Bitcoin lost its chance, now time for its descendants.

you are deluded, plain and simple. The bitcoin experiment is going amazingly well. You just don't like it because your own altcoin will never see the light of day. Your forum only has about 3 people on it. Deal with your failed experiment instead of declaring an amazingly successful one dead.

Sour grapes for dinner anyone.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:35:55 PM

send here than
1JdTAUtCuraV9Vy19gnhnutGLs4J9Pa7Jf
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:39:44 PM

send here than
1JdTAUtCuraV9Vy19gnhnutGLs4J9Pa7Jf

Already sold for U.S. dollars, sorry.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:03:40 PM

People lost their faith in Bitcoin. ... For me it's obvious now that The End Is Near. Bitcoin failed, time to move on...

What people? Does bitcoin care?

Before you say bitcoin has failed, first you must define what a success would be for bitcoin. To me, a successful bitcoin has the network running securely, confirming transactions in a timely manner, allowing me to send value across the globe or store value securely until I need it later. We have achieved a small amount of success, but there is still room for improvement. Right now I can store value as bitcoins, and I can send those bitcoins, but these features are still limited.

To be massively successful, bitcoin will have to gain these things:

1 - There should be worldwide consensus that bitcoins hold value. This is just a matter of the vast majority of the world acknowledging the existence of bitcoins, and that they do in fact represent value. Not everybody has to own or use bitcoin, just that when you mention you want to pay using bitcoins they understand what you mean and have some way to receive the payment.

2 - Good exchanges should exist for all localities. Local laws and monetary conventions are different all around the world, so each locality needs to have an exchange that conforms to their own rule-set. Bitcoin will function best when there is a way for anybody in the world to move from bitcoin to their local currency (or the other way around) without much trouble.

3 - The value of bitcoins should be stable. Putting money into bitcoins should be regarded as simple saving of value for the future, not as an investment (something like gold is used today as a way to save without being subject to inflation, hypothetically). Changes in the USD/BTC rate will reflect how well or poorly the USD is doing, and not how much attention BTC has gotten in the news.

In conclusion, the network is still running and there are people who are willing to exchange btc for something somewhere, so bitcoin has not failed yet.

I find the blue font color lends a lot of credibility to this argument. Only a counter argument in a red font could convince me otherwise.

EDIT: Added the color just for you Cheesy

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:12:02 PM

People lost their faith in Bitcoin. ... For me it's obvious now that The End Is Near. Bitcoin failed, time to move on...

What people? Does bitcoin care?

Before you say bitcoin has failed, first you must define what a success would be for bitcoin. To me, a successful bitcoin has the network running securely, confirming transactions in a timely manner, allowing me to send value across the globe or store value securely until I need it later. We have achieved a small amount of success, but there is still room for improvement. Right now I can store value as bitcoins, and I can send those bitcoins, but these features are still limited.

To be massively successful, bitcoin will have to gain these things:

1 - There should be worldwide consensus that bitcoins hold value. This is just a matter of the vast majority of the world acknowledging the existence of bitcoins, and that they do in fact represent value. Not everybody has to own or use bitcoin, just that when you mention you want to pay using bitcoins they understand what you mean and have some way to receive the payment.

2 - Good exchanges should exist for all localities. Local laws and monetary conventions are different all around the world, so each locality needs to have an exchange that conforms to their own rule-set. Bitcoin will function best when there is a way for anybody in the world to move from bitcoin to their local currency (or the other way around) without much trouble.

3 - The value of bitcoins should be stable. Putting money into bitcoins should be regarded as simple saving of value for the future, not as an investment (something like gold is used today as a way to save without being subject to inflation, hypothetically). Changes in the USD/BTC rate will reflect how well or poorly the USD is doing, and not how much attention BTC has gotten in the news.

In conclusion, the network is still running and there are people who are willing to exchange btc for something somewhere, so bitcoin has not failed yet.

EDIT: Added the color just for you Cheesy

Can't name the people who lost the faith. It's just my feeling that most of people consider Bitcoin a "become rich fast" scheme.

For me success is measured by ability to buy something except fiat money.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Can't name the people who lost the faith. It's just my feeling that most of people consider Bitcoin a "become rich fast" scheme.

So, for you, failure is when the people who had been selling things for btc stop taking btc. Do you have any examples of people removing the "pay with bitcoins" option from their websites?

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:27:47 PM

So, for you, failure is when the people who had been selling things for btc stop taking btc. Do you have any examples of people removing the "pay with bitcoins" option from their websites?

No, for me, failure is when there is no or little progress during a long period of time. I live in the capital of a small European country, but I haven't seen "pay with bitcoin" there. Also, in ur post u didn't address technical issues. They seem to be unresolvable.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:31:14 PM

No, for me, failure is when there is no or little progress during a long period of time. I live in the capital of a small European country, but I haven't seen "pay with bitcoin" there. Also, in ur post u didn't address technical issues. They seem to be unresolvable.

What technical issues?

papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:31:57 PM

ROME WAS NOT MADE IN 1DAY... SO DID PAPER MONEY...

but guess what... paper money can't travel in the internet which is our latest technology as of the moment and still growing... the only "THING" traveling through internet is the manipulated numbers by BANKS and all their fees and etc...

ONLY BTC CAN TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WITHOUT ANY MANIPULATION OR HOLD OR ANY SHIIIITY SHIIT.... AND ANY GOV CAN MAKE...

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:39:39 PM

LIKE ALL PLACES IN THE WORLD GOT INTERNET YET? DO A LITTLE FAVOR FOR ME... IS INTERNET STILL GROWING? AT WHAT PERCENTAGE? HOW FAST?

I think there are still 5-20% of the earth population who does not know what INTERNET IS... and with 40-80% who are NOT INTERNET SAVVY....

BTW internet is moving from computers alone to... phones... to tvs... to refrigerators... etc... you name it...

now imagine if INTERNET/TECH IS 100% being use in earth and everyone is INTERNET/TECH SAVVY... why would anybody use paper money?

It may not be in our time but... I can SAY THAT TIME WILL COME WHEN THE ONLY USE OF PAPER IS FOR WIPING OUR BUTTS... after using the toilet... Cheesy

so yeah... we still have a long way to go...

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:40:20 PM

ROME WAS NOT MADE IN 1DAY... SO DID PAPER MONEY...

but guess what... paper money can't travel in the internet which is our latest technology as of the moment and still growing... the only "THING" traveling through internet is the manipulated numbers by BANKS and all their fees and etc...

ONLY BTC CAN TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WITHOUT ANY MANIPULATION OR HOLD OR ANY SHIIIITY SHIIT.... AND ANY GOV CAN MAKE...

I don't say all cryptocoins failed. Only Bitcoin. Yes, Rome was not made in 1 day. But we r talking about an open-source digital currency. It should be changed 10 times a day, thousands contributors should add hundreds features each day. Unfortunatelly,
It doesnt even moved from beta yet ...
Something is wrong, isn't it?
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:46:42 PM

OP is just another "chicken". Bye bye.

I hope soon we will completely get rid of these whining creatures and bitcoin will continue its progress.
Ben Thomas Clayton

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:47:25 PM

4 Years is nothing!

E-books
Invented: 1930
Became mass popular: 1992

Microsoft
Started: 1975.
Became Popular: 1995

Christianity
Started: Approx 4 BC
Became a world religion: The 16th century

Cars
First prodused: 1672
Became a World Wide Product: (Not yet)

And so on, etcitra, and so forth...

In 4 years since the launch? U r kidding.

Bitcoin adress: 1973dn8zAtXVfLXxwuRSfnWGfHRRUihDtx
Devcoin adress: 17iyPzDjgDovga7feUNyctJisg2VNyboEQ
Earn Devcoins by Writing
townf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:47:33 PM

Come from behind is correct. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

BTC will fail as the single, arch-cryptocurrency. It's got some real problems. All you dang kool-aid drinkers put down the isopropyl alcohol spiked kool-aid for just long enough to use your mind and learn what the flaws are and impartially analyze them already, for crissake. I'm not saying it's a train wreck. But because it is open source, it is bound to be improved upon, itself and by forks.

He's not saying cryptocurrency is a failure.

Bitcoin succeeds as being the prototype of cryptocurrency, because cryptocurrency will prevail! Think about it. This is the first go round. Others are already proliferating. Some address btc specific flaws, others don't. The markets will decide. I don't think bitcoin is going to come out on top.

When it's practically as easy as doing a git clone and changing what you want, posting what you did here, enduring the flaming kool-aid drinkers, and supporting the product, then better (and worse) alternatives are surely going to make themselves available. That's another bitcoin success!

I think it will stablize in the future with many different competing and complementary cryptocoins, some for international purposes, some localized geographically used as reserves for notes issued by local banks or governments. Some will store wealth better, like bitcoin, some will spend better and have more velocity, like something like freicoin. Some will only be useful in California, others the world over on the internet. Some will only be pertinent to certain industries, like devcoin is to geeks.

Bitcoin fails as the be-all, end-all, only meaningful cryptocurrency, but succeeds wildy in spawning a whole new monetary system.

This is just my opinion.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:52:33 PM

Before you say bitcoin has failed, first you must define what a success would be for bitcoin...

You make some very red points there.  We have a winner!  Grin

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:56:07 PM

I am very new to BTC.  I assume messages were posted like this repeatedly throughout the past few years? We will need to bump this thread in a year or two and laugh when BTC is worth 10X as much as it is today.  

Here is my two cents: My husband mentioned BTC to me about a year or so ago.  We were hesitant to get involved then because it seemed risky and we were not sure if it would get any traction at all at that time.  With the regulations that were mentioned for money laundering in the US we finally bought in thinking it was being taken more seriously.  Then it started to sky rocket but of course it has been volatile since then.  Personally, I think we are just on the brink of it gaining at lighting speed, even more so than the last big jump.  With the conference coming up in May there will be more press around that for sure!  Venture Capitalist are working on providing more and better services to make BTC more accessible to the average person.  It is just a matter of time.  Personally, I am pleased that will all of the drops and price fluctuations, the value seems to still stabilize around $100 or so. If the value stays around $100 then I don't feel any real need to panic.  If I sold my BTC I would not really lose much money at this point.  In reality, I won't even panic if we lose all the money we have in BTC because I believe the risk is worth it.  There are not many opportunities like this so it is riskier not to give it a try!  I would be so upset with myself if I did not take a chance on it.  What is more depressing, losing a few thousand dollars giving something new a try or realizing that when you had the chance to invest a few thousand that could not be worth a few hundred thousand you did not take that risk?  I already learned that with the fact we did not buy a year ago so I know the answer to that.  Wink  

The greatest proof for me that we have just barely scratched the surface on this is that when I talk to my friends and family NO ONE has heard about BTC.  We live a pretty technologically advanced area of the US too.  

Patience people.  Patience!!!

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:05:26 PM

I am very new to BTC.  I assume messages were posted like this repeatedly throughout the past few years? We will need to bump this thread in a year or two and laugh when BTC is worth 10X as much as it is today.  
Indeed, this is the boring standard routine every time the price goes down. I'm sure someone with time on their hands could dig up at least 100 similar threads. At least this one tries to combine it with altcoin pumping. Yawn.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Ivica

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:07:53 PM

Can you change topic name to "The end is nigh"?
Kthx.

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: