Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:06:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mined blocks containing zero tx  (Read 811 times)
behindtext (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 07:02:49 PM

i saw a few of these scroll by on blockexplorer.com in the past few days: blocks with zero tx besides the BTC 25 award to the miner. have also seen some with just a few tx in them.

recent examples are 234221 and 234217.

am i missing something here or is someone mining empty blocks? seems like a rude thing to do. i am guessing there is some edge to mining empty blocks.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:09:27 PM

I have seen some speculate that mining empty blocks could be some kind of attack vector. I don't really understand it well enough to explain, but creating a fork of empty blocks is easier that full blocks.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
behindtext (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 07:13:01 PM

I have seen some speculate that mining empty blocks could be some kind of attack vector. I don't really understand it well enough to explain, but creating a fork of empty blocks is easier that full blocks.
the immediate consequence i see is that tx during that time period must wait to be included in the next block, which is more irritating than anything else.

i'm sure i could figure it out if i dig, but maybe someone here knows who is doing this. not unreasonable to single these people out because they are kinda fucking up the infrastructure.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:59:05 PM

The protocol supports mining blocks that have only a coinbase transaction.  There is no technical obligation that miners include additional transactions in their blocks.  Of course failing to include additional transactions means that you miss out on all the transaction fees from those transactions, so it generally hurts the miner more than the rest of the network.  The one reason I've heard that a miner might choose to not include transactions in the blocks was in the case of a trojan mining bot.  The distributor of the trojan would want to minimize the amount of information that the bot needed access to, and could reduce this to simply the hash of the previous block if they didn't include any transactions.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:14:19 AM

the immediate consequence i see is that tx during that time period must wait to be included in the next block, which is more irritating than anything else.

i'm sure i could figure it out if i dig, but maybe someone here knows who is doing this. not unreasonable to single these people out because they are kinda fucking up the infrastructure.

Unless they control a significant percentage of the mining power, how can they fuck up the infrastructure? They waste their resource in exchange for just a small delay in the processing of transactions.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:16:39 PM

Unless they control a significant percentage of the mining power, how can they fuck up the infrastructure? They waste their resource in exchange for just a small delay in the processing of transactions.

If that is the case, hypothetically taking the blocks as attacks, it could cause one or two people to complain about delays and generally cause a bitcoin price fluctuation that allows the attacker to aggressively enter the market beyond just mining blanks.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 06:36:41 PM

If that is the case, hypothetically taking the blocks as attacks, it could cause one or two people to complain about delays and generally cause a bitcoin price fluctuation that allows the attacker to aggressively enter the market beyond just mining blanks.

"empty" blocks (like all other blocks) don't delay non-empty blocks from being solved

to be precise, after the difficulty readjusts, they would delay waiting for a non-empty block by

(10 min) * (their share of the network hashrate during the previous 2016 blocks)

which is negligible

tiktoc

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:16:26 AM

There was talk in the p2pool thread of someone modifying p2pool not to include transactions to gain less rejects as it reduces lag.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: