Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:50:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Devs faking Statistics?  (Read 802 times)
Veronica88 (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 06:03:14 PM

Hey there,

I have a very annoying transaction ongoing, which hasn't been confirmed since 8 days.
Check: https://blockchain.info/de/tx/d1948980d9b968de591c9b2ade202cddc89357430f7ae18c6175e70b0a5a0c24

Now here comes the strange part. The transaction was sent on the 19th of this month. Yesterday, when I checked I noticed that the blockchain sais now sent on 24th.

So I am wondering if this is a method to hide the range of problems the network actually have. With this kind of editing, the stats about the average time transactions take until they get confirmed, are completely wrong.

Its only some thoughts about something I cannot really understand. Maybe some one here can explain why the date of a transaction can change afterwards...

Another thought was that transactions get automatically rebroadcasted after some days and that's what changes the date. This case would still come down to wrong statistics and hide the fact that single transactions could go through an infinite loop without getting confirmed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:23:05 PM

No, it was Vod. He does it a lot. He's desperate for a few satoshi.
Blame him

Nagadota

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

ClaimWithMe - the most paying faucet of all times!

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2017, 07:29:21 PM

1.  Blockchain.info is a private company and is completely and utterly separate from any development team.

2.  Blockchain.info does not have to be a fully accurate representation of the blockchain.  The only way to get that is by running a node.

3.  You (or let's say, the Blockchain.info wallet) set a low fee on the transaction.  You should set your fees based on this page, based on the assumption that your transactions that have one input will be 226 bytes and each extra input will add at least 148 bytes to the transaction.

freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:35:15 PM

Devs have nothing to do with these kind of things, you guys are clueless, you don't know what you are talking about, 120sat/B is not enough and you should use 240sat/B when it comes to blockchain.info.

Did you think they own the network to change anything at will?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:48:05 PM

8 days

i guarantee you within a couple days the tx would have got dropped by the network anyway. at which point you could have made a fresh tx with a higher fee to become more tempting.

however it seems you just allowed it to re broadcast out the same tx with the same low fee again

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Veronica88 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:48:28 PM

First of all, I had no influence on the fee. I'm simply receiving a payment.

Second. Why you come up with blockchain.info?
It was a random blockexplorer to show the transaction. The data are loaded from the blockchain, so the change of date can be seen in any other blockexplorer.

I know that the fee is little but 8 days is still a too long time. I sent a test transaction with zero fees and with 0.0001.
Both arrived within 3 and 4 days. You wanna tell me that 8 days and more is a normal time period to wait? If so, how long would be the longest possible time to expect?
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:49:25 PM

Hey there,

I have a very annoying transaction ongoing, which hasn't been confirmed since 8 days.
Check: https://blockchain.info/de/tx/d1948980d9b968de591c9b2ade202cddc89357430f7ae18c6175e70b0a5a0c24

Now here comes the strange part. The transaction was sent on the 19th of this month. Yesterday, when I checked I noticed that the blockchain sais now sent on 24th.

So I am wondering if this is a method to hide the range of problems the network actually have. With this kind of editing, the stats about the average time transactions take until they get confirmed, are completely wrong.

Its only some thoughts about something I cannot really understand. Maybe some one here can explain why the date of a transaction can change afterwards...

Another thought was that transactions get automatically rebroadcasted after some days and that's what changes the date. This case would still come down to wrong statistics and hide the fact that single transactions could go through an infinite loop without getting confirmed.

They are not hiding anything, most likely your transaction was re-broadcasted to the network from your node or another node depending on what type of wallet are you using.  That might be the reason why don't you see the actual date that it was sent.

Bitcoin is decentralized so devs are not really trying to hide anything here, everything is open. There is a known issue that people are looking to solve, the issue that bitcoin capacity is on its knees, it can't simply verify all of the transactions because it wasn't made for this at first, and 2nd it wasn't expected that the need will be now.

There are 2 main proposals to solve this issue: Bitcoin Unlimited and SegWit (search through furmu, or simply google it). Because there are to many unconfirmed transactions it requires you to put higher fee, as other people put higher fee. With the higher fee you will get confirmations faster, thats the only thing that you can do now until this get fixed in the future.

In the meantime you can try to use viabtc pools accelerator, they are a bitcoin mining pool that are trying to help users to push transactions, all you need to do here is to enter your transaction ID, when it is successful you need to wait for them to mine a block.  https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/

Here you can see aprox. number of unconfirmed transactions https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions lets say that in one block there can be around 700-3000 transactions depending on the transactions sizes. At this moment size of all unconfirmed transactions is 114038.318 (KB), have in mind that blocks can be 1mb in size + that they come every 10minutes.
Veronica88 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 08:21:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, lizardbtc.

Viabtc doesn't take any requests atm. Trying since few days. Will look into the other options, thanks.

I'm using mycellium wallet and it has the great feature to bump the transaction fee. But somehow it's crashing every time I try. Looks like it only works for the transactions I sent myself.

If there is someone around who could help getting it through it would be very much appreciated.

I check the unconfirmed transactions every day but doesn't help me if I get pushed back all the time. Have seen a bunch of transactions with same or lower fee, but never seen it going over such an insane time frame.

If there is a chance that a transaction goes back, Im wondering how payment processor bitpay deals with it. Every payment even with zero fee gets accepted right away and digital good or orders get processed right away. So I thought that possibility of transaction going back can't happen often in total.
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 08:30:57 PM

Thanks for the reply, lizardbtc.

Viabtc doesn't take any requests atm. Trying since few days. Will look into the other options, thanks.

I'm using mycellium wallet and it has the great feature to bump the transaction fee. But somehow it's crashing every time I try. Looks like it only works for the transactions I sent myself.

If there is someone around who could help getting it through it would be very much appreciated.

I check the unconfirmed transactions every day but doesn't help me if I get pushed back all the time. Have seen a bunch of transactions with same or lower fee, but never seen it going over such an insane time frame.

If there is a chance that a transaction goes back, Im wondering how payment processor bitpay deals with it. Every payment even with zero fee gets accepted right away and digital good or orders get processed right away. So I thought that possibility of transaction going back can't happen often in total.

It is not safe to accept the unconfirmed transaction, first time I hear that they operate in this way. If node stop to rebroadcast your transaction it should dissapear after like 72hours from the memepool, and you won't see it as unconfirmed transaction anymore.

2nd thing that can be done is double spend, if a user send 2 transactions : one transaction goes first with low fees and after some time user broadcast new transaction with higher fee to some other address. Transaction with the higher fee will go through leaving the first transaction with lower fee to just disappear.

Thats why it is advised to wait for at least 1confirmation, in case of bigger sums of money need to wait like 3-9confirmations.

Well your best bet is to try viabtc every hour, there are paid accumulators but  i like viabtc as it is free one, so when I need to I use them.
Adelajda

Activity: 207

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 10:52:37 PM

First of all, I had no influence on the fee. I'm simply receiving a payment.
Second. Why you come up with blockchain.info?
It was a random blockexplorer to show the transaction. The data are loaded from the blockchain, so the change of date can be seen in any other blockexplorer.
If you are not aware of the blockchain.info wallet then you must know about that because it was one of the first web wallet that was available and it is not just a random block explorer like the rest. Tongue @OP it looks like your transaction is still pending and it will get rejected and send once again and i hope they have increased the fees.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2017, 11:25:40 PM

As you can see at https://www.pscp.tv/TheButterZone/1kvJpQdnogOxE & https://www.pscp.tv/TheButterZone/1MnxnanrmLEJO if you submit to ViaBTC at exactly xx:00:00 it works then.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 11:44:18 PM

Devs have nothing to do with these kind of things, you guys are clueless, you don't know what you are talking about, 120sat/B is not enough and you should use 240sat/B when it comes to blockchain.info.

there shuld be option to setup fee by byte cost current system is unaceptable to me.
I choose fee and i agable how much I will pay per byte.
I can see how much it will be only when i hit send button and see that on blockchain.
WHere can i setup byte price manually ?

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2017, 01:23:49 AM

there shuld be option to setup fee by byte cost current system is unaceptable to me.
I can see how much it will be only when i hit send button and see that on blockchain.

Electrum

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 01:37:22 AM

There is a very frightening amount of users who do believe that there is some entity that is able to change the network at will, or they don't know how fees work, in the recent week or two. It's not good for the forum at all because I have been seeing a lot of these users spreading misinformation and that's not going to reflect well when a new users comes here (if at all) and they see constant conflicting information.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:37:45 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 10:23:44 PM by HI-TEC99

Electrum

+1

The transaction's confirmed now.

https://blockchain.info/tx/d1948980d9b968de591c9b2ade202cddc89357430f7ae18c6175e70b0a5a0c24

To prevent the same problem recurring in the future install the electrum wallet and use the instructions in this quote to configure it to pay dynamic fees.

First upgrade to the latest version of electrum, then use the instructions in this quote to set dynamic fees on your wallet. Afterwards your wallet will automatically work out the best fee to pay by itself, and adapt its fees to account for increases or decreases in the number of unconfirmed transactions in the network.

For future transactions try these instructions, they are for the latest version of electrum. Older versions have a different layout for the settings windows.

Click tools in your menu bar, then preferences in the drop down menu that appears.

Click the fees tab in the window that opens and copy the settings from this screenshot. Click the close button to close the preferences window

When you send coins move the fee slider shown in this screenshot all the way to the right for fast confirmations.

worldmobilecoin

Activity: 159
Merit: 11

World Mobile Coin

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2017, 03:25:43 PM

Electrum

Seems Electrum to be the best option right now if don't want to use online wallet. If do not want any delay. Spent more on fee.

WMCC: wc1qcl3qeqkjamt8m7ass0weu9ep6s8se722y553jm
BTC: 1N1ZM9xCzHtn8mD4a4JYUm7bC5T54CBDmD
ETH: 0x6145e253196C7a7CEDDA1797B69E2ba67Fe3219b
BCH: 18CW3B95oTtW5MYG7GAs8isABA4TeNntWA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: