Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:53:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX Support - Dont Get your account frozen  (Read 1557 times)
mem (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 01:34:34 AM

So my account for mtgox was frozen (issues with OTP) anyway Im going through the reset process no issue there.

Except for  the following: When mtgox freezes your account all orders are suspended, 3 weeks later after unfreezing they re-activate all your orders automatically and execute them with you having no control or chance to cancel.

Now I had to ask their useless support agent "James"  the same question 5 times in an attempt to get a simple yes or no answer. Each time he would post a vague canned response and close the call. It seems "James" is allergic to yes or no answers and is only able to copy and paste replies from their support script.

Im just employing logic here but the only 2 fair things to do would be:

* execute order book as normal while account is frozen.
* wipe order book while account is frozen.
* pause order book while account is frozen and do not unpause/ freeze until the user logs in and confirms he wants his unfrozen orders to go active.

Instead we have the following fiasco:

* Freeze order books, wait 3 weeks and DROP all unfrozen orders on a market they were not planned for giving user no chance to intervene.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:47:37 AM

They should have it in their TOS what they do if an account is frozen for whatever reason. Personally I would vote for cancelling all standing orders, and notifying the customer about it when it happens. The customer should also be able to learn this before signing up.
mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:13:42 AM

They should have it in their TOS what they do if an account is frozen for whatever reason. Personally I would vote for cancelling all standing orders, and notifying the customer about it when it happens. The customer should also be able to learn this before signing up.

Agreed, this is a terrible way to handle account lockouts imho.

Grover

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:22:12 AM

Definitely your orders should have been frozen.  I hope you didn't lose a lot.

If you did memtingale your way out of it.  Grin (And just being a smart-ass)
mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:59:22 AM

Orders are frozen until the account is unlocked  then orders are made active automatically before you log in.

It means I will miss several bounces, fortunately only some of my funds are in mtgox Smiley

abbyd

Activity: 159

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:47:30 AM

That's so convenient!  Imagine your cell phone gets suspended. When you pay the bill it calls everybody you tried to reach in the past 2 weeks with an automated message -

"Hai, mem finally paid his phone bill so now he can call you again, buh-bye!"

Grover

Activity: 137

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:06:03 AM

Orders are frozen until the account is unlocked  then orders are made active automatically before you log in.

It means I will miss several bounces, fortunately only some of my funds are in mtgox Smiley

I worded that poorly. I understand the trades were locked when the account was frozen.  I meant the trades were still frozen when you got use of the account again.  Better wording would have been the trades should be deleted before your account was made active again.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:58:44 PM

That's so convenient!  Imagine your cell phone gets suspended. When you pay the bill it calls everybody you tried to reach in the past 2 weeks with an automated message -

"Hai, mem finally paid his phone bill so now he can call you again, buh-bye!"

This sounds pretty funny actually.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:58:37 AM

Yer it worked out better than I hoped, I managed to catch a drop to $88 with the bulk of my funds and resell @ 20% profit Cheesy

Ignore MrPOO-ER guys and girls, he thinks he can find misery in the forums but doesn't realize it follows him everywhere.   Grin Grin Grin

mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:01:48 AM

So what happens is yes, my orders do get frozen then dropped onto the market.

Fortunately I have confirmed with mtgox that should I have a buy order set at $88 (which I did)
and the current price were say $82, Id start paying for bitcoins at $82 UP TO $88 until my order volume was filled.

Given Im down to the 0.2% trade fees on mtgox this is not going to hurt me nearly as much as I expected.
In fact given my recent luck catching the floor again @ $88 Id safely say I can absorb the small loss if any Smiley

Other people that lock themselves out may find this info useful Smiley

mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:15:41 AM

2013, using Gox  Roll Eyes

It is your own fault OP.

GOX has the best rates the best for selling btc and sending AUD to an AU bank account, they only charge $10 aud for the transfer (for any amount). Id recommend anyone in Australia to use MTGox for putting funds into their bank account.

Also I love their android app for trading Smiley

The other exchanges I also use are:

bitnz.com - AU citizens can have NZ bank accounts, so I built up about 5k NZD just from catching the bounces, keeping that for a nice holiday for myself.
btc-e.com (love the trollbox, registering OKpay to do my withdrawls).

El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:22:02 AM

2013, using Gox  Roll Eyes

It is your own fault OP.

GOX has the best rates the best for selling btc and sending AUD to an AU bank account, they only charge $10 aud for the transfer (for any amount). Id recommend anyone in Australia to use MTGox for putting funds into their bank account.

Also I love their android app for trading Smiley

The other exchanges I also use are:

bitnz.com - AU citizens can have NZ bank accounts, so I built up about 5k NZD just from catching the bounces, keeping that for a nice holiday for myself.
btc-e.com (love the trollbox, registering OKpay to do my withdrawls).

It is always good to diversify. Gox as a last resort might be okay but risky (as you saw first hand).

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:59:49 AM

It is always good to diversify. Gox as a last resort might be okay but risky (as you saw first hand).

Too true Chaang.

While the handling of this by Gox is less than stellar I share part of the blame for not backing up my 2FA keys.
Another valuable lessoned learned at a fairly cheap price Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: