Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:20:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how to say 'Bitcoin' in your national language?  (Read 8031 times)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:42:35 PM

Maybe they're serious trolls? I mean, they can be sincere. Just don't forget that they can also be sincerely wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shantee

Activity: 381
Merit: 274

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 03:40:55 PM

I can tell you how to write it in thai : บิทคอยน์
It won't be pronounced like you'd pronounce bitcoin in english though, it should sound like "bitkoy"

Everywhere we use roman characters (abcde...) the word won't change but the pronunciation might differ a lot.  In my concern I am french and  I pronounce it the french way (even though I got not problems with english language and even if it kind of sounds silly in french)

10 Great Bitcoin & Litecoin related domain name on sale ! | MY ltc adress : LdCEBkFWAoXNcXXgvJ2zGRk35ircZouUx8
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:46:05 PM

I can tell you how to write it in thai : บิทคอยน์
It won't be pronounced like you'd pronounce bitcoin in english though, it should sound like "bitkoy"

Everywhere we use roman characters (abcde...) the word won't change but the pronunciation might differ a lot.  In my concern I am french and  I pronounce it the french way (even though I got not problems with english language and even if it kind of sounds silly in french)

How would you read bitcoin in french? "beet-kwahn"? That probably looks silly to you Smiley

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Thracian

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:58:00 PM

Actually, in post-1981 modern Greek, it would be:

μπιτκόιν

No point above ι, accent in o, no diaeresis or trema above ι .

check if these are correct:

Latin: bitcoin
Japanese: ビットコイン
Chinese: 比特币
Traditional chinese: 比特幣
Hebrew: ביטקוין
Cyrillic: биткoйн
Hindi, Marathi: बिटकॉइन
Arabic: بتكوين
Greek: μπίτκoϊν
Korean: 비트코인
Tamil: பிட்காயின்
Esperanto: bitmono

Please OP write the ones you know in your first post, not only in that image, it is unreadable

also an old thread    
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128009.0
shantee

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:18:57 PM

How would you read bitcoin in french? "beet-kwahn"? That probably looks silly to you

Yes I suppose you can write "beet" in english to represent the way would pronounce "bit" in french  as for "coin" in english I can't write it using roman letters because you don't have that sound in english but in phonetic alphabet it should be  "kwɛ̃" ..
so in french bitcoin = "beet"+[kwɛ̃]

Now yes it sounds a little funny to me but I am not sure why exactly. Probably because "bit" sounds like "bitte" in french which is a slang term for "dick" and also "coin" ([kwɛ̃] ) sounds like what ducks do [kwɛ̃] [kwɛ̃] [kwɛ̃] [kwɛ̃] . An other reason could be that it's still a new word and I haven't heard a lot of french speaking people pronouncing it yet.

I don't speak dutch / hindi , chinese or any other language (beside french / english / thai) but I suppose some other language could have very different way to pronounce it, and it might also sound funny

10 Great Bitcoin & Litecoin related domain name on sale ! | MY ltc adress : LdCEBkFWAoXNcXXgvJ2zGRk35ircZouUx8
bitcoin_bob (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:26:19 PM

Guys,

thanks for your input, I've been quite busy with my auction running answering questions there so not had a chance to turn attention to the notes, but rest assured im grateful for the contributions and will be using them on my prototype designs.....
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

How would you read bitcoin in french? "beet-kwahn"? That probably looks silly to you

Yes I suppose you can write "beet" in english to represent the way would pronounce "bit" in french  as for "coin" in english I can't write it using roman letters because you don't have that sound in english but in phonetic alphabet it should be  "kwɛ̃" ..
so in french bitcoin = "beet"+[kwɛ̃]

Now yes it sounds a little funny to me but I am not sure why exactly. Probably because "bit" sounds like "bitte" in french which is a slang term for "dick" and also "coin" ([kwɛ̃] ) sounds like what ducks do [kwɛ̃] [kwɛ̃] [kwɛ̃] [kwɛ̃] . An other reason could be that it's still a new word and I haven't heard a lot of french speaking people pronouncing it yet.

I don't speak dutch / hindi , chinese or any other language (beside french / english / thai) but I suppose some other language could have very different way to pronounce it, and it might also sound funny

Heck, it sounds funny to me whenever I hear somebody actually say "bitcoin", and I am a natural English speaker. I read about bitcoins on the forum all the time, but I don't actually hear people say it often. Probably just something to get used to over time.

shantee

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 06:15:23 PM

Heck, it sounds funny to me whenever I hear somebody actually say "bitcoin", and I am a natural English speaker. I read about bitcoins on the forum all the time, but I don't actually hear people say it often. Probably just something to get used to over time.

+ 1

I am just coming back to the subject of that topic because I am wondering now..
What's the use of designing a bitcoin note ? Sorry if it's a silly question,  but i was believing such things would never exist since bitcoin is a virtual cryptocurrency.  That means you'll have to write a private key on a your note ? And then it would exchangeable only one time (and personally i won't trusty somebody giving me such a paper and telling me "ok , here you go, here are your 10 btc"

oh and have you thought about learning about design and stuff before starting your project ? Smiley

bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:53:47 PM

+ 1

What's the use of designing a bitcoin note ? Sorry if it's a silly question,  but i was believing such things would never exist since bitcoin is a virtual cryptocurrency. 

People like to feel physical things, As per the physical bitcoins that are currently available.

quote author=shantee link=topic=193976.msg2062752#msg2062752 date=1367950523]
oh and have you thought about learning about design and stuff before starting your project ? Smiley
[/quote]

Are you trying to be offensive with that comment or do you just suffer from foot in mouth syndrome?
shantee

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 07:51:14 PM

Are you trying to be offensive with that comment or do you just suffer from foot in mouth syndrome?

No actually I was trying to find a nice way to say that your mockup / "work in progress" (whatever you call it) is just ...ok..Let's say not so good. I guess I failed ^^

Well sorry you understood my remark that way but you should really try to take it as constructive criticism..I mean did you give a look at some other banknotes before coming up with this ? Perhaps you might be inspired taking a close look at a 10€ banknote , 100 baht , 100 yuan , or a dollar bill ...

..And actually calling it "design" or even the beginning of it could offense some people around here

Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 08:02:24 PM

What's the use of designing a bitcoin note ? Sorry if it's a silly question,  but i was believing such things would never exist since bitcoin is a virtual cryptocurrency.  That means you'll have to write a private key on a your note ? And then it would exchangeable only one time (and personally i won't trusty somebody giving me such a paper and telling me "ok , here you go, here are your 10 btc"

Think about it more like a personal check. There must be some people you would trust to hand you a personal check, right? Like your mother, or your best friend, or your boss. Why wouldn't you trust one of these people to hand you a bitcoin note as well?

The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:56:51 AM

French: bitcoin (with French pronunciation)  Tongue

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
bitcoin_bob (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:06:29 PM

No actually I was trying to find a nice way to say that your mockup / "work in progress" (whatever you call it) is just ...ok..Let's say not so good. I guess I failed ^^

Well sorry you understood my remark that way but you should really try to take it as constructive criticism..I mean did you give a look at some other banknotes before coming up with this ? Perhaps you might be inspired taking a close look at a 10€ banknote , 100 baht , 100 yuan , or a dollar bill ...

..And actually calling it "design" or even the beginning of it could offense some people around here

It was not supposed to be good it was supposed to be an example. I drew it in paint in 5 mins. I was half asleep and tired and looking for some input so made an example image to spur some people to help.

I understand what you were trying to say but your natural assumption that I have not studied design without knowing me personally was a bit offensive. Basically you missed the point i was trying to make to collect how bitcoin is said which has no bearing on a final design......and I cant see how a simple drawing short of a swastika/picture of a black guy in chains with a heart around him and smiling saying I love slavery/anything that slanders Islam can 'cause offence' to people unless they are right up their own behinds and get offended at everything.

However you can surely see my offence when you make a sarcastic comment referencing my CV/resume without knowing me or it's content, is ignorant, and ignorant people offend me.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: