Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:47:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are checkpoints in bitcoin code?  (Read 14791 times)
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:25:30 AM

Haven't there been periods where the difficulty went down?

It doesn't happen that often.

However, I meant total PoW for the chain.  This is the sum of the PoW for all blocks from the genesis block to the last block in the chain.  That always increases and even if a new main chain takes over, by definition, it has more PoW.

The spam DoS attack was to create 2015 difficulty 1 blocks that are 1MB each.    You can create as many of those as you want and they are valid forks of the chain, so are stored.

If only forks with lots of total PoW are stored, then that is less of a problem, since those blocks require high PoW.

With a 51% attack, you could drop the difficulty back to 1, so there is still some risk.  However, by dropping checkpoints, you are inherently assuming that is no possible.

Yup, I just mentally corrected TierNolan's proposal to match ones made by many people before— have a minimum total chain work checkpoint (e.g. any valid chain will have at least 2^70 work by height XXX). That allows the same protection from spamming as the current stuff.

That is what I meant by MAIN_CHAIN_MIN_POW, it would be the minimum total work before a chain can be called the main chain. 

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Skybuck

Activity: 384
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:52:02 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 04:50:51 PM by Skybuck
Merited by LoyceV (4)

P.S.  No one particularly likes the checkpoints, the devs least of all.  There has been much discussion about removing them, or switching to a soft system (config file, etc).  So far, no one has come up with a really good solution.
I can come out with a really god solution, if you want Wink

Just set a dynamic limit in that the client would not accept any forks deeper than N blocks back from its currently known top.
Set N to whatever you want, but I think more than a week time would be exaggerating.

the fact is, if we've introduced a form of consensus OUTSIDE of proof-of-work, that overrides Proof-Of-Work, and that's precisely what checkpoints are- why do we have proof of work at all?

can we remove proof of work, and have a block chain that is based on consensus between N parties?  Yes!  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwUFHE6KYsM0ZkxLVmFwbXQ3ck0/edit?usp=sharing

-bm

Satoshi answers your question in the original document:

"
The proof-of-work also solves the problem of determining representation in majority decision
making. If the majority were based on one-IP-address-one-vote, it could be subverted by anyone
able to allocate many IPs.
"

Currently bitcoin seems to be a system that uses both concepts: "confidence" and "proof of work".

The checkpoints can be considered a dirty hack to make bitcoin more secure, it's an admission that bitcoin in it's original concept/design was flawed and pretty much still is if it werent for this Wink

However perhaps that last part of my sentence is a bit hasty... I do wonder if it's possible to insert a block anywhere in the chain if a hash collission was found.

I am not sure what kind of protective measures bitcoin has to protect against block insertion.

If these checkpoints are truely based on single blocks then it won't protect against insertions.

Thus a smarter hash would be a hash computed over the entire blockchain.

Such a hash could be included to protect against insertions. However if the attacker can calculate a hash collission then this would only double his calculation efforts.

However the point is: the more checkpoints, the better.

I think the solution to make it a little bit more secure is simply calculate a hash over the entire blockchain every 2016 blocks and store it.

At least this will increase computational resources needed to produce any fake chains and also makes insertion problematic.

However I am not so sure how easy it would be to create a "fake chain" that would be accepted by a bitcoin client if it did not have these checkpoints.

Perhaps the bitcoin client also calculates "difficulty" each 2016 blocks and would then detect that the difficulty on the fake block chain was not properly increased... (<- note flaw in logic, it can also decrease, fluctuate wildly, no rules govern it, explained and examined further below).

If the bitcoin client does not yet currently do this then it could start doing that to prevent fake chains in the future... this will make it harder for attackers to properly construct fake chains, since they will also have to increase the difficult and thus consume more hashing power.

However difficulty can be manipulated by simply pretending bitcoin was not popular at the time and there were little transactions and it took days and months to find a block, so ultimately it would probably get accepted Wink unless some measurements based on history would be used but this could hamper future wild changes.

Biggest change in difficult was probably around 10 july 2010 when bitcoin was announced on slashdot... resulting in the slashdot effect, a jump in difficulty of 300%.

However using difficulty as a way to detect fake chains could have merit.

The idea for a fake block chain would be to "out race" the real chain.

This implies either:

1. The fake block chain has more blocks, and thus the blocks were found faster <- indicating something fishy might be going on with the difficulty, this could indicate the difficult was not properly increased each 2016 blocks.

2. The real block chain fell out of use, bitcoin became impopulair... difficulty was too high... not enough hashing power.... fake chain starts to over take it.

Option 2 could imply that bitcoin could be at risk as soon as it becomes impopular... it's difficult will start to drop... but at a slower pace then a fake chain.

A possible attack to create a fake blockchain could be:

1. Determine current ammount of blocks in the real chain.

2. Divide current ammount of blocks by 2016.

3. This indicates how many difficulty changes must be calculated.

4. Perhaps use a rollcoaster tactic:

5. Calculate as many blocks as possible with minimum difficulty.

6. This will cause the difficulty to shoot up to insanity.

7. Then stop calculating blocks for the next 2016 blocks.

^ Problem, cannot stop calculating, thus algorithm must be changed:

Spread difficulty over as many groups of 2016 as possible.

Possible attack vector:

Difficulty at start of chain was low, replace low difficulty with high difficulty to try and produce a constant difficulty.

Having a constant difficulty might be exactly what the attack would need, no more, no less, if this is better than the roller coaster approach is uncertain.

Perhaps the roller coaster approach has merit too I think so:

Roller coaster approach version 2:

Calculate as many blocks as possible without raising the difficulty to an unrecoverable state, keep it sane so that the next 2016 blocks can still be calculated.

Or other attack vector:

Spread the 2016 blocks over an enormous ammount of time... weeks, moths, years or so...

This will drop the difficulty back to minimum.

Then produce an enormous ammount of blocks.

So I think the roller coaster approach might be possible as long as it's not over done too much Wink

So two possible attack vectors:

1. Roller coaster approach within reasonable difficulty recoverment/crash.
2. Constant difficulty approach.

However I assumes the roller coaster approach would be capable of generating limitless ammount of blocks within 2016. This is not the case. After 2016 blocks were produced it would recalculate the difficulty.

So now ask yourself one question: what would happen to the difficulty is 2016 blocks were generated in 1 second ?

What would happen to difficulty if 2016 blocks were generated in one month ?

Perhaps there is a possibility to roller coaster it in such a way that it would end up producing blocks faster than the real block chain... with less computation power needed... not sure...

I guess the answer lies in the "computation power" that is required at different difficulties relating to the hash itself.

If the computation power scales linearly with the difficulty.... then this attack may not work.

However if it's somehow possible to gain an adventage at lower difficulty then perhaps a netto sum effect is achieved, perhaps it will profit from the lower difficulty/lower computation power needed once it crashes.

Also perhaps other security checks are in place, such as checking the date/time for each block. Thus generating 2016 blocks in 1 second might not be possible/accepted by the clients ? Not sure about that...

Theoretically it might be desireable to still allow it, nothing prevents anybody from suddenly adding insane ammounts of computer power to the bitcoin network... if the bitcoin network could not scale up beyond a certain point that would be a bit strange Wink I guess it's all about certain assumptions/sanity checks... difficult to predict the popularity of bitcoin... thus such sanity checks might hamper suddenly super popularity.

Such an event already happened with the slashdot effect: a 300% increased, as if 2 or 3 earths were added ? Wink which could be precisely why these checks were not implace... it would have hampered it...

Time for some fun numbers:

There are currently: 271789 blocks.

Number of difficulty changes:

271789 / 2016 = 134.81597222222222222222222222222

Close to 135 difficulty changes.

That's a surprisingly low number of changes.

Let's assume a 2016 block can be generated in 1 second with minimum difficulty.

After it's generated some unknown ammount of time is needed to drop it back lower.

So 50% we can try and do in 1 second which gives:

134/2 = 67 difficulty changes.

These can be spread out over the entire time that bitcoin was running. Block 0 started at 2009-01-03 18:15:05

It's now 27/11/2013 17:38

That's a whole lot of years to spread 67 over...

Now I need to plugin the difficulty algorithm or code in bitcoin, I am not sure what it is but for now I will take this:

difficulty=((Time for a block to be found in seconds)*(hashes per second))/2^32

difficulty = 1/10.000 * ? / 2^32

not sure what hashes per second is supposed to be, perhaps the total estimated hashes per second. Perhaps 4 gigahash should be taken.

However all of this might not matter.

There seems to be a hard limit of 1/4x or 4x of what it previously took.

If true then we golden.

We might be able to produce a fake blockchain pretty easily.

1 second, 4 seconds, 16 seconds, 64 seconds, and so forth.

Ofcourse this is exponential...

But to reset the algorithm, we simply mine the next 2016 in 4 or 8 seconds to crash it back to 1.

Thus creating a fake blockchain would seem very easy as long as these minimum and maximum multiplication factors are in place.

Hence the need for these checkpoints... it's the only thing prevent a fake block chain from taking over ? Wink
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:52:49 PM

However perhaps that last part of my sentence is a bit hasty... I do wonder if it's possible to insert a block anywhere in the chain if a hash collission was found.

I am not sure what kind of protective measures bitcoin has to protect against block insertion.

If these checkpoints are truely based on single blocks then it won't protect against insertions.

Such a hash could be included to protect against insertions. However if the attacker can calculate a hash collission then this would only double his calculation efforts.

I think the solution to make it a little bit more secure is simply calculate a hash over the entire blockchain every 2016 blocks and store it.

So, you are assuming that an attacker can find one has collision, but not two?  That doesn't make any sense.

The way the chain headers are hashed and linked makes bitcoin insanely strong against preimage attacks.  MD5 is considered to be totally broken, and preimage attacks on MD5 are rampant.  However, if we used MD5 (not even double MD5) as our blockheader hashing mechanism, we would still be totally safe.

P.S.  I didn't read much past the part that I quoted.  I hope you don't take any offense at that.  If you had other important things to say, please try to organize your thoughts better.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Skybuck

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:32:19 AM

So, you are assuming that an attacker can find one has collision, but not two?  That doesn't make any sense.

No the opposite ofcourse, if he can find one, he can find two, or three or four, hence my suggestion to add as many hashes as possible.

So my suggestion is:

Check point hash 0 = Hash(block 0, block 1, block 2, block 3, etc up to block 2015)
Check point hash 1 = Hash(block 2016, block 2017, block 2018, etc up to block 2016+2016-1)
Check point hash 2 = Hash(block 2016 * Hash Number to (Block 2016 * (Hash Number+1))-1)
Check point hash 3 = etc

^ This will lead to many more hashes and best part is that all block hashes are included, not just a few, actually the entire block should be hashed, why stop at only block hashes ? Wink Yes it would lead to more computational effort but that's basically the point in general, however perhaps block hashes only would be enough, it's already difficulty enough to fake one, however including all could give a bit more security because it adds dates, times, transactions, etc, but maybe could also lead to less security because of easy adjusting comments or other bogus information, with a hash only that would be a bit more difficult to do it could throw off all input calcultions to try and fake such a hash.Blocks can probably fluctuate in size, while for now the hash is always same size, so gives some constant speed and also easy to implement reliably without all kinds of potential strange block size quircks).

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:09:29 AM

No preimage attack against SHA-2 is possible. 

Saying "it's already difficulty enough" is like saying it is already difficulty to walk through a wall due to quantum tunneling but just to be safe we should double up all walls in case someone gets "lucky".
Skybuck

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:28:57 PM

It's more like placing each criminal in it's own cell. Currently if one wall is blown up many thousands of criminals can escape.

By placing more walls around the criminals less criminals can escape if one wall were to be broken.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 06:05:52 AM

It's more like placing each criminal in it's own cell. Currently if one wall is blown up many thousands of criminals can escape.

By placing more walls around the criminals less criminals can escape if one wall were to be broken.

More like moving each cell to their own universe so if they escape they have nowhere to go.  I think you vastly misunderstand the odds we are talking about.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:21:58 AM

No the opposite ofcourse, if he can find one, he can find two, or three or four, hence my suggestion to add as many hashes as possible.

So my suggestion is:

Check point hash 0 = Hash(block 0, block 1, block 2, block 3, etc up to block 2015)
Check point hash 1 = Hash(block 2016, block 2017, block 2018, etc up to block 2016+2016-1)
Check point hash 2 = Hash(block 2016 * Hash Number to (Block 2016 * (Hash Number+1))-1)
Check point hash 3 = etc

^ This will lead to many more hashes and best part is that all block hashes are included, not just a few, actually the entire block should be hashed, why stop at only block hashes ? Wink Yes it would lead to more computational effort but that's basically the point in general, however perhaps block hashes only would be enough, it's already difficulty enough to fake one, however including all could give a bit more security because it adds dates, times, transactions, etc, but maybe could also lead to less security because of easy adjusting comments or other bogus information, with a hash only that would be a bit more difficult to do it could throw off all input calcultions to try and fake such a hash.Blocks can probably fluctuate in size, while for now the hash is always same size, so gives some constant speed and also easy to implement reliably without all kinds of potential strange block size quircks).

The blockchain is already a chain of hashes.  The hash for block 2 uses the hash of block 1 as (part of) its input and the hash for block 3 uses the hash for block 2 and so on.

If you were to change a single bit for block 10, then the hashes for all blocks from 10 onwards would change.  Ofc, that would mean that blocks 11 onwards would no longer meet the proof of work (which is the whole point).  You can't change anything without destroying the chain entirely.

The SHA-256 function breaks large messages into pieces for processing anyway.  It uses the output from one piece as the input into the next piece.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Skybuck

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:25:13 PM

So my suggestion is:

Check point hash 3 = etc

The blockchain is already a chain of hashes.  The hash for block 2 uses the hash of block 1 as (part of) its input and the hash for block 3 uses the hash for block 2 and so on.

If you were to change a single bit for block 10, then the hashes for all blocks from 10 onwards would change.  Ofc, that would mean that blocks 11 onwards would no longer meet the proof of work (which is the whole point).  You can't change anything without destroying the chain entirely.

The SHA-256 function breaks large messages into pieces for processing anyway.  It uses the output from one piece as the input into the next piece.

There are two possibilities where this would not happen:

1. Either change enough bits in such a way that the hash stays the same. This is called a "hash collision".

2. Or perhaps insert a block which has the same hash, again a hash collission except it's doubled:  block 1.5 to be inserted has same hash as block 1, block 2 will happily accept block 1.5.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:34:21 PM

Saying "it's already difficulty enough" is like saying it is already difficulty to walk through a wall due to quantum tunneling but just to be safe we should double up all walls in case someone gets "lucky".
Saved

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
HZKto

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:55:38 AM

Instead of checkpoints, client could hard-code a MAIN_CHAIN_MIN_POW variable.  This would be the PoW of the main chain when that version of the client was released.  All clients wouldn't need to agree on a value.  It is just a spam protection value.

Clients should download headers first and only commit blocks to disk that are on a chain that has PoW higher than the hard coded minimum.

I like this idea - it doesn't contradict decentralized principle (as checkpoints do).
HZKto

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 03:19:02 AM

You are free to use and distribute a fork of the client without any checkpoints.  Checkpoints aren't required. Assumming an attacker isn't attempting to DDOS your node by filling it with years worth of bogus blocks or try to perform a 51% attack months deep in the chain the lack of checkpoint will have absolutely no effect on your node.

So if you are worried then remove the checkpoints, compile it and use that node.  If you are really worried set up an online mirror and advertise your checkpoint free version.

It is not just change of button color or font size, it is protocol specification change.
If one fork has checkpoints and other does not - then they do not have consensus on how to select main blockchain, and this could lead to blockchain fork (at least theoretically).
Bitcoin already has consensus mechanism, and it is the foundation - block-chain with bigger combined work amount is the winner, period.

In a same way as we have checkpoints now, it is possible to freeze BTC on particular address - tune a bit validation rountine (just like checkpoints validation), wait for update of majority of clients - and vu à la. I bet, governments would love this feature, keep going!
Any kind of such validation is poison to trust for the most important of Bitcoin features - decentralization.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 03:38:00 AM

block-chain with bigger combined work amount is the winner, period.

Is it clearly total work, rather than block height?

I try to be respectful and informed.
HZKto

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 03:44:17 AM

Is it clearly total work, rather than block height?

Yes, it is total accumulated work.
HZKto

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:58:02 PM

Bitcoin is decentralized. And no small group of people should decide which branch is correct and which is not.
Checkpoints hardcoded in code were selected by small group of people.
But if Bitcoin is still claimed to be decentralized, not controlled by government, small group of people (who can be blackmailed, or forced by thermo-rectal cryptanalysis) - then only majority of users should have right to make decision.

Users should vote on which branch is correct and which is not. Bitcoin already has such voting mechanism - vote by computing power.

Of course hidden fork crunched at high speed in shadow is unlikely, and maybe checkpoints do not harm due to low probability of such fork.
But they harm in other way - they compromise Bitcoin decentralization, which is in my opinion is the biggest attractive feature of Bitcoin.
Today they add checkpoints, tomorrow they could freeze BTC on your address, by adding small tweaks to validation routine (just like checkpoints validation).

Checkpoints add almost no value - they do not prevent offensive usage of high computing power, but they trading off fair amount of credibility.
Nobody except majority should have control over blockchain, and Bitcoin's definition of majority is computing power.
Otherwise users must know that blockchain is controlled by small group of human being.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:12:41 PM

Bitcoin is decentralized. And no small group of people should decide which branch is correct and which is not.
Checkpoints hardcoded in code were selected by small group of people.
But if Bitcoin is still claimed to be decentralized, not controlled by government, small group of people (who can be blackmailed, or forced by thermo-rectal cryptanalysis) - then only majority of users should have right to make decision.

Users should vote on which branch is correct and which is not. Bitcoin already has such voting mechanism - vote by computing power.

Of course hidden fork crunched at high speed in shadow is unlikely, and maybe checkpoints do not harm due to low probability of such fork.
But they harm in other way - they compromise Bitcoin decentralization, which is in my opinion is the biggest attractive feature of Bitcoin.
Today they add checkpoints, tomorrow they could freeze BTC on your address, by adding small tweaks to validation routine (just like checkpoints validation).

Checkpoints add almost no value - they do not prevent offensive usage of high computing power, but they trading off fair amount of credibility.
Nobody except majority should have control over blockchain, and Bitcoin's definition of majority is computing power.
Otherwise users must know that blockchain is controlled by small group of human being.

You didn't actually read this thread before posting, did you?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
HZKto

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:16:58 PM

You didn't actually read this thread before posting, did you?

I did read this thread, and several old ones: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=437 , https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1647
Do you have any particular objection to discuss?
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:57:13 PM

I don't understand how you think that checkpoints mean that a small group of people is deciding which branch is correct.

The protocol rules chose the correct branch.  The checkpoints only document what that historical choice was.

I try to be respectful and informed.
HZKto

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:18:01 PM

I don't understand how you think that checkpoints mean that a small group of people is deciding which branch is correct.

Checkpoints were put by small group of people, most of people even do not heard about checkpoints - and continue to think about Bitcoin as pure decentralized currency, while it is not.

The protocol rules chose the correct branch.  The checkpoints only document what that historical choice was.

Protocol rules allows to choose other branch if it has more accumulated difficulty, even if it is rooted in old blocks before checkpoints. Checkpoints override those rules - they essentially change protocol specification. By adding new checkpoint - you are forking protocol specification.
Choice of checkpoints should be done decentralized - by voting, and Bitcoin already has voting mechanism - vote by computing work. But if voting happens by hard checkpoints, selected by dozen of people - then it is centralized, with all bad sides of centralization.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:21:06 PM

Protocol rules allows to choose other branch if it has more accumulated difficulty, even if it is rooted in old blocks before checkpoints. Checkpoints override those rules - they essentially change protocol specification. By adding new checkpoint - you are forking protocol specification.
Choice of checkpoints should be done decentralized - by voting, and Bitcoin already has voting mechanism - vote by computing work. But if voting happens by hard checkpoints, selected by dozen of people - then it is centralized, with all bad sides of centralization.
It's an optimization that can be disabled with a command line switch.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: