Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:08:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Press Center - an inclusive, open and feature rich site for media  (Read 1753 times)
aantonop (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 07:15:37 PM

The bitcoinpresscenter.org beta is 90% complete. I will be calling on those who volunteered to help to test run some of the functionality.

I would like to explain what I have been doing for the past three days. I have been building a platform, using a CMS (drupal, but the tech choice is not important) in order to implement a press center, the Internet way:

- Inclusive - the barrier to nominations is very low - if the person is interested in being on the list, and their information is filled in, they are on the list

- Highlighting, not filtering: A mechanism for positive endorsements, with qualitative comments allows the best to bubble to the top of the list.

- A minimal amount of moderation is applied only to the content of the endorsements to filter ad-hominem. Positive endorsements push people up the list. If people feel negatively, they can *not endorse*. That keeps less endorsed candidates at the bottom of the list - BUT they're on the list.

- A lot of metadata to help press choose: Languages spoken, timezone, area of expertise (HW, SW, crypto, economics, business etc.), Role in bitcoin community (miner, user, dev, media, author, merchant etc).

- A lot of press-relevant information that is missing from current efforts: Attribution, Large-res photos, one line bio, short bio, long bio, etc.

- A faceted search and filtering system (like the sidebar on Amazon.com). You want to see just Spanish speakers who are developers and in your own timezone? Easy!

All of the above is geared towards a press center with 500 contacts, not 8.

Beta testing starts late tonight or tomorrow, for functionality. First public preview with content by end of Monday as promised.

NOTE: I welcome constructive suggestions. Tell me how to fix the problems, not what they are. I already know what the weaknesses of the above scheme are (sure there are more too), but it is better than existing solutions and I'm building more and taking feedback. So, if you disagree, suggest a SOLUTION that I can implement and see if others support you. I will ignore those who only point out problems without solutions, sorry.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:25:27 PM

Is it alright to sign up for accounts on the site?
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 07:28:48 PM

Is it alright to sign up for accounts on the site?

Sure, but the functionality is pretty limited, the user side has not been developed and the site gets wiped on almost hourly basis, so... it may not do much for you.

But please go ahead. All testing is absolutely welcome!

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:36:48 PM

I really like the idea behind this, thanks for setting this up.
Since the site is not fully functional yet I guess you're not looking for comments about design and UX, right?

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
MA5H3D

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:44:25 PM

Really good idea, well done!

The layout could look a bit better, maybe put each contact in a box with some space between them? Also, get the contact names in the URLs, so instead of: http://bitcoinpresscenter.org/node/16 have: http://bitcoinpresscenter.org/contact/tony-gallippi

Maybe bitcoin.org could copy their press contacts from the top of this list.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 07:49:45 PM

I really like the idea behind this, thanks for setting this up.
Since the site is not fully functional yet I guess you're not looking for comments about design and UX, right?

I have done no design or UX yet. I will leave that to Alexander, a very capable CSS skinner I employ. You can see btcprice.info and apply.openbtcshop.com for example of Alexander's work.

For now, I am concentrating on the data model, mechanics and producing relatively clean views for templating.

I expect to have the "look" done by Monday. Alex can turn each press contact profile into a pretty "contact card" that can be printed (journalists use paper! another thing geeks forget). Alex will also make the list of contacts functional, informative, and pretty.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:12:46 PM

Really good idea, well done!

The layout could look a bit better, maybe put each contact in a box with some space between them? Also, get the contact names in the URLs, so instead of: http://bitcoinpresscenter.org/node/16 have: http://bitcoinpresscenter.org/contact/tony-gallippi

Maybe bitcoin.org could copy their press contacts from the top of this list.

There is no formatting yet. This is still raw information display. The layout will be skinned by CSS as soon as the information content is setup.

Great suggestion on the links

The choice of people in the list is purely for testing, just so I don't have random names (which would lead people to howl "WHO'S THAT?!"). Since the goal is a list of 500, not 8, everyone on the existing press center will obviously be included - they have fulfilled the one and only requirement - they want to be press contacts.

Anyone who wants to help out with content testing can register and create a new "Pundit" record adding the rest of the people on the press center, or other people. The list will be wiped before the site goes live and reset to contain only the people on the existing press center. We will build from there.

For now: Ignore styling, it has not been done. Ignore the people who are in the list (or not in the list), I just need data for testing and Lorem Ipsum names are annoying ;-)..

The URL feedback and what should be in the metadata is great advice!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 08:44:09 AM

The Bitcoin Press Center (bitcoinpresscenter.org) is now in open beta.

The site is still "naked", has no styling, that's in progress. However the site mechanics are working and fairly well tested. For those who can see past the lack of CSS, the content is already useful and growing...

Check out the left hand side faceted navigation, which dynamically filters the results:

Languages Spoken
English
German

Country
Canada
Germany
United Kingdom
United States of America

Expertise
Business
Cryptography
Hardware
Media
Software

BitcoinRole
Developer
Entrepreneur
Merchant
Writer

The site will now be "styled" and tested thoroughly for a promised Monday delivery

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 10:55:44 PM

The new site design is ready, will go live in the next 24 hours. Here's what it looks like... feedback welcome!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:01:10 PM

I don't see a way to upvote or downvote people...

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 11:11:26 PM

That part where you can endorse people with qualitative comments is in development, will be released next week. In the mean time, the filtering is enough to focus the list and the order is randomized on every page load.

There will not be a "downvote" option. No endorsements will suffice to drop people to page 2 and beyond in the sort order.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
geoburke

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 02:12:45 AM

Good idea.  Just created an account.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:06:50 AM

Thanks, published.

The new site design has launched. Bug reports, feedback and comments welcome.

Also, the more high-quality contacts we can add, especially non-English speakers, the more useful this site will be.

Please, anyone who can identity two or three people who you know to be interested in become press contacts (ask them first), register and add those contacts. The goal is to have a rich database full of press contacts in dozens of languages and countries and representing every aspect of the community: developers, businesses, users, merchants, miners, teachers, media. Add rich biographical information, metadata and high-res photos. The press need and value that depth and detail.

I spoke to a TV interview booking agent today, who found and used the site. They are booking interviews now from the site contacts. This is the third press contact in less than 24 hrs.

The Bitcoin Press Center is the community's press center. You own it, now go register and help me fill it. Anyone can now add value to this site. Go!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
geoburke

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:29:02 PM

I just tried using the contact feature to reach out to a few journalists.  I get both a success and a failure message.  Does this feature work yet? 
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:35:55 PM

It should work. Could you send me a screenshot of the failure message at info@bitcoinpresscenter.org or any other bug details?

Thanks for testing!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 03:21:15 AM

Some people have visited bitcoinpresscenter.org and added 3-4 others, nominating them and widening the circle of press contacts. This is amazing and altruistic and much appreciated.

Then there's those who nominated themselves and no one else - that's cool, but doesn't help make a bigger press center.

Please help me add more voices to the bitcoin press center - Nominate those you have heard, read, watched promote bitcoin to the media. Do you like a specific writer? Someone who does great TV interviews? Do you know someone who would be great at this work but is not in the media light yet? Nominate them!

We especially need contacts, native language speakers, from countries that have larger and growing bitcoin adoption:

• China
  • Netherlands
  • Russia
  • Germany
  • Finland
  • Sweden
  • France
  • Poland
  • Japan
  • Portugal
  • Brazil
  • Argentina

and many more.

The bitcoin press center, is intended to be the global press center for bitcoin.

We have plenty of white men who speak about bitcoin in English, hint hint.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 08:20:20 AM

The new design is really good!

One thing I'm missing is a clear guidance right on front. Something like "Looking for an bitcoin expert? Use the filters on the left to find the right person."
For a first time user it might not be obvious that the left column is for filtering.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 08:41:17 AM

The new design is really good!

One thing I'm missing is a clear guidance right on front. Something like "Looking for an bitcoin expert? Use the filters on the left to find the right person."
For a first time user it might not be obvious that the left column is for filtering.

Maxmint,

I implemented your proposal immediately, because you are correct - it is not clear for new users.

My designer will fix the CSS to make it look better, but it's up!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Someminir

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:36:25 AM

Could you change the "Header Icon"? its exactly the same as the forum.
Which makes it quite hard to find when you have 20+ tabs open.

Ltc:  LXdWrHFVZEkckdoh2JAcbgesafyygszHgW
Earn Devcoins by Writing Dvc: 1Bh1Ts7maUWRGtKYv5XPz38uAocR9FVVdw
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 05:34:17 PM

I believe you are referring to the FAVICON

If that is the case, I welcome a new design. I am not a designer, so I will ask my designer, or anyone here can make one!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: