Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:28:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A members panel to evaluate ICO  (Read 387 times)
btvGainer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 12:43:56 PM

We have seen a lots of ICO coming up everyday on this forum.Some genuine ant others scams.An average member lack the knowledge and resources to differentiate between the two.
Can we have a official panel of Bitcointalk forum with some experienced and knowledgeable members to evaluate these ICO before they are allowed to create ANN thread here?
If a panel is not satisfied with the information provided by these ICO devs, they should not be allowed to make thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 12:57:20 PM

1) This makes everything centralized.
2) Who decides the participants of the panel?
3) Panel participants can be corrupted.
4) Censorship due to point 1. e.g. I deny your ICO because I don't like the people working on it for whatever reason.

Ensuring that an idea like this works efficiently is much harder than it seems. We don't even have a proper systems to combat traditional scams, nor spam.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 01:47:57 PM

Forum members must be educated enough to know and use the resources they have on the forum to try and prevent themselves from being scammed. These resources aren't always perfect but it is what it is. I'm referring to using escrows, using the scam accusations/reputation sub forums, analyzing trust ratings, and if the circumstances call for it, requesting signed messages of old staked addresses to ensure you are not dealing with an ICO run by someone with a stolen/hacked account which appears trusted.

If mods removing off-topic altcoin threads causes outcries of censorship, a panel pre-approving announcement posts will not go over well and brings a level of bureaucracy that I would not be comfortable with.  Smiley

You are welcome to start researching each ICO that announces and if you see something that doesn't look right or have proof that an ICO is a scam, submit a scam accusation report or open a reputation thread for the owner and express your opinions in an effort to notify the community.

btvGainer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 08:37:38 PM

1) This makes everything centralized.
2) Who decides the participants of the panel?
Staff and members through voting
3) Panel participants can be corrupted.
Just like we have escrow members doing escrow services honestly because their reputation is at stake,panel members will also abstain from corruption for their rep's sake.
4) Censorship due to point 1. e.g. I deny your ICO because I don't like the people working on it for whatever reason.
You must have a good reason to deny ICO and not liking people should not be one of them

Ensuring that an idea like this works efficiently is much harder than it seems. We don't even have a proper systems to combat traditional scams, nor spam.

I agree but how long we can sit quite and let scammers take advantage of it
Forum members must be educated enough to know and use the resources they have on the forum to try and prevent themselves from being scammed. These resources aren't always perfect but it is what it is. I'm referring to using escrows, using the scam accusations/reputation sub forums, analyzing trust ratings, and if the circumstances call for it, requesting signed messages of old staked addresses to ensure you are not dealing with an ICO run by someone with a stolen/hacked account which appears trusted.

If mods removing off-topic altcoin threads causes outcries of censorship, a panel pre-approving announcement posts will not go over well and brings a level of bureaucracy that I would not be comfortable with.  Smiley

You are welcome to start researching each ICO that announces and if you see something that doesn't look right or have proof that an ICO is a scam, submit a scam accusation report or open a reputation thread for the owner and express your opinions in an effort to notify the community.
We do not have fixed numbers of members and new members join the forum everyday.Educating each and every one of them is not possible.
Not all members have wisdom,knowledge and resource to do research on every ICO.It takes time and skills
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 09:24:21 PM

Staff and members through voting
The staff members aren't even doing their job properly as is due to various factors. Why would you put more load on their backs?

Just like we have escrow members doing escrow services honestly because their reputation is at stake,panel members will also abstain from corruption for their rep's sake.
It's not like we have not had escrows scamming or bogus escrows in the past. Roll Eyes ICOs are bigger money == more prone to corruption and malicious action.

The idea has merit, but is probably too hard to execute in a way that it's actually worth doing.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 10:13:10 PM

We do not have fixed numbers of members and new members join the forum everyday.Educating each and every one of them is not possible.
Not all members have wisdom,knowledge and resource to do research on every ICO.It takes time and skills

They should educate themselves. IMO, if they do not have the time or care to research the ICOs they want to invest in, they shouldn't be investing in ICOs unless they want to gamble with their money.

I also do not believe they should be using this forum at all for trading if they do not understand how to use it first, how the trust system works, how scams are not moderated, how escrows work, etc. This forum does take time to learn if you want to use it for trading and not constantly risk your money.

It might be nice to have the same Warning message that appears under "Securities" show up on the Altcoin Announcement/Marketplace areas?

"Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: