Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:37:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on a Laptop?  (Read 1690 times)
samuelstar5 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 12:58:53 PM

I was planning to mine Litecoin on a laptop.
I don't care too much about profit, but I was wondering whether mining on a laptop with a GPU would possibly fry or destroy it.
My laptop has a very good cooling system and I would only leave the mining on for a couple hours at a time.
Can anyone tell me if I could damage it badly by doing this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 01:18:47 PM

It's fine no problem with that. Temperatures should be lower than you are gaming.
I have 860m temp around 60°C, mining when I'm watching movies. If your laptop is made for gaming the mining do less harm. Also you can make it better with cooling pad.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 01:25:10 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2017, 04:32:31 PM by ivanst776

It's fine no problem with that. Temperatures should be lower than you are gaming.
I have 860m temp around 60°C, mining when I'm watching movies. If your laptop is made for gaming the mining do less harm. Also you can make it better with cooling pad.

What's your profit mining with your laptop? I dont know if you are sure what are yu saying bit mining with a laptop doesn't worth!!!!

Maybe it will worth a little bit mining some new coins that are not much known and risk these coins to hold them for a long time, maybe this way it can be profitable otherwise it has been proved many times that mining through laptop is not recommended.
Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 01:39:03 PM

What's your profit mining with your laptop? I dont know if you are sure what are yu saying bit mining with a laptop doesn't worth!!!!
I'm mining Monero and I have whole rig for profit. This is just while I'm not using my laptop... I've started with mining on laptop.
You can make some profit with that... if he has something like 1060m or 1070m it will hash good on XMR.

He specifically said: "I don't care too much about profit"

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
frowsiter

Activity: 714
Merit: 261

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 01:41:12 PM

Is it really that easy? But what about the specification of your laptop? I mean are you having some big graphics card and heavy duty mother board or something! This would change the answers to his questions. I am also excited about the laptop mining as I'm not much interested in high tech miners. This would be easier for me. But need to know whether I should have more power in the laptop or not. And how could it work extra ram if it has the effect on the same.
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 01:50:45 PM

I'm mining Monero and I have whole rig for profit. This is just while I'm not using my laptop... I've started with mining on laptop.
You can make some profit with that... if he has something like 1060m or 1070m it will hash good on XMR.

He specifically said: "I don't care too much about profit"

He and everyone who want to mine with laptop should care and should know that believe me it doesn't worth as the heat can escalate and can damage the laptop, laptops aren't designed for mining.

Even though there are some extreme laptops that have great gpu maybe and dual gpu but I wouldn't put that to mine, simply it doesn't worth!
Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 02:49:58 PM

Is it really that easy? But what about the specification of your laptop? I mean are you having some big graphics card and heavy duty mother board or something! This would change the answers to his questions. I am also excited about the laptop mining as I'm not much interested in high tech miners. This would be easier for me. But need to know whether I should have more power in the laptop or not. And how could it work extra ram if it has the effect on the same.
I have Acer V15 Nitro Black Edition, i5 and 860m
269H/s with XMR-STAK-NVIDIA
Do not mine 24/7, RAM isn't important... VRAM matters for ETH. XMR needs only about 1GB.

He and everyone who want to mine with laptop should care and should know that believe me it doesn't worth as the heat can escalate and can damage the laptop, laptops aren't designed for mining.

Even though there are some extreme laptops that have great gpu maybe and dual gpu but I wouldn't put that to mine, simply it doesn't worth!
Well no... When I'm gaming on my laptop I have 80° on CPU and GPU, sometimes "great" turbo boost make it 85° on CPU... So with less than 65° on GPU while mining and 60° while mining with cooling pad it's much much better for the laptop than the madafuckin gaming. Also it make some profit, gaming not...

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 03:07:09 PM

+1 for bad idea of mining on a laptop and especially LTC. That was taken over by ASIC more than 3 years ago. Assuming you can get 400 KH/s and pay $0 for electricity, you will net a whopping $8 in a year mining 24/7 with no downtime.

https://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/litecoin-mining-calculator/?h=400.00&p=60.00&pc=0&pf=2.00&d=257730.14755032&r=25.00000000&er=0.01107000&btcer=2680.24910000&hc=0.00

Instead, deposit $20 worth of BTC in an exchange and just buy LTC, that way you at least will profit if LTC goes up without wearing out your hardware in the process.
TimeTeller

Activity: 2716
Merit: 588

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 03:41:57 PM

Any kind of mining with a laptop,
either it be CPU or GPU  has already been known to destroy the device.
 not saying that is is not done or some who do it have results
 but try putting the laptop in the oven for about the same amount of time that you intend to mine
 and crank up the heat to melt the plastic...
after about 12 hours of that see if you can use the calculator and see how much you just lost?
minime0105

Activity: 1246
Merit: 534

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 03:47:22 PM

Just an advice, do not even try it, It's already been known that mining on laptop is not profitable at all. Worst you will lose your laptop.
Currently I am looking for some set up for mining rig by buying all needed parts. You can look at this thread and maybe have some insight.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1950570.msg19379691#msg19379691
Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 03:55:28 PM

Any kind of mining with a laptop,
either it be CPU or GPU  has already been known to destroy the device.
 not saying that is is not done or some who do it have results
 but try putting the laptop in the oven for about the same amount of time that you intend to mine
 and crank up the heat to melt the plastic...
after about 12 hours of that see if you can use the calculator and see how much you just lost?
Of course it can't handle 24/7, but most gaming laptops are made to be run at full few hours a day. So if you switch these hours from gaming to mining it can make some profit I repeate XMR is profitable even on CPU... and also you won't destroy it.

Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 04:13:30 PM

not always fine laptop are not suited to mine with them, their temp can go very high if you use them for minign for a long time, but alsod epend on what laptop we are talking about, if this is a gaming one should be ok for mining otherwise not, don't try it

Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 04:39:00 PM

not always fine laptop are not suited to mine with them, their temp can go very high if you use them for minign for a long time, but alsod epend on what laptop we are talking about, if this is a gaming one should be ok for mining otherwise not, don't try it
Yeah this should be point out. Need to be gaming laptop! Also cooling pad is recommended.
My has 2 fans (CPU and GPU) and 1 big copper heatsink with Arctic MX-4 thermal compound.

meliodas

Activity: 742
Merit: 329

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 05:39:04 PM

I tried mining on pc/laptop/desktop. it kill my time to use the computer when i max the core its laggy then i assume you can't get more than 10$ in 1 day on that mining. not work well on me but dont know how others do it and have good profit. My specs was good for mid gaming (i5 and 1050 gtx). Try some real mining rigs its real profitable if you use it smart, the marier/better profit you can produce.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $| 
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Sex Video Chat VKcams.com

Activity: 490
Merit: 252

http://VKcams.com/

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 05:41:04 PM

I was planning to mine

POS mining is OK for laptop.

http://VKcams.com/ - FREE Sex Video BITCOIN Chat
jennywhzz

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 11:12:53 PM

I don't care too much about profit, but I was wondering whether mining on a laptop with a GPU would possibly fry or destroy it.
My laptop has a very good cooling system and I would only leave the mining on for a couple hours at a time.

It is not always pick the PC to mine the coin, sometimes it is pick the coin to match the PC that you are sitting in front of.
Difficulty changes on the coins and what could be done in the past is not always possible anymore.
Qunenin

Merit: 506

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 11:55:27 AM

It is not always pick the PC to mine the coin, sometimes it is pick the coin to match the PC that you are sitting in front of.
Difficulty changes on the coins and what could be done in the past is not always possible anymore.

However, if you find yourself wanting to use a PC that is not up to the normal standards of your mining, then search out the pools that have the lower diff coins, usually new ones.  Look at some merge mining.  Check the pools and cross check that you can actually exchange the coins you are mining.  Having 400,000 X coins that is not on an exchange is useless, until it gets listed, if it gets listed.

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
!
thatsnomoon

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 08:01:19 PM

Does mining with a laptop drain as much energy since it has a battery in place? In theory, couldn't you just charge your battery like normal and then mine using the laptop without any noticeable spike in energy costs?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: