Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:57:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I invest in GPU mining?  (Read 6583 times)
jednostka

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:59:34 AM

This can make you premature because of the increased risk in your life and the constant desire to follow Ethereum.

For me, do not do Ethereum mining. Instead, do LTC mining!
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 12:01:02 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2017, 12:40:06 PM by Vann

Thanks for your responses.

I have ordered almost all the items on the list so far and will wait for their arrival
What my main question is right now as I have ordered 4 rx 470s ordering 2 gtx 1070 and running them on the same motherboard has the same effect as running 6x of the same gpu?

I currently have four types of GPU's on a single Windows 7 rig. RX 480's, a RX 580, a HD 7850 and just added a GTX 1080. No performance difference with the AMD cards after installing the Nvidia card. The biggest problem is you need to configure the settings for each of the different cards and figuring out which GPU index applies to which card. Having all the same cards is simpler.
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 04:26:04 PM

I have ordered almost all the items on the list so far and will wait for their arrival
What my main question is right now as I have ordered 4 rx 470s ordering 2 gtx 1070 and running them on the same motherboard has the same effect as running 6x of the same gpu?

I currently have four types of GPU's on a single Windows 7 rig. RX 480's, a RX 580, a HD 7850 and just added a GTX 1080. No performance difference with the AMD cards after installing the Nvidia card. The biggest problem is you need to configure the settings for each of the different cards and figuring out which GPU index applies to which card. Having all the same cards is simpler.

Sweet

the hx1200i should support 6 gpus?

Looking for a signature campaign.
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 04:37:51 PM

I don't want to frighten you but I'm having issue with 3 types of graphic cards, I have 4x XFX 470, 1x MSI 470, and 1x Sapphire 580, the best that I could do is working only the first 4 GPUs, when I put any other of the other 2 it fails.

I have the same and it's enough, that's a powerful PSU.

Could you help me setup 3 different types of GPUs, I'm going to test it in Windows 7 didn;t thought about it as I installed multiple times Windows 10.
Vann

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 04:40:37 PM

Sweet

Without a problem. The RX 470's use ~125 W each and the GTX 1070's about ~180W at 100% TDP. You could add up to seven or eight if you adjust the power on the cards.
fistfullofbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 06:51:41 PM

i'm not sure about 180w for gtx 1070. mine are no where near that, yes some algos are power intensive but most are not. 120w for z cash .
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:27:28 PM

Well, I haven't purchased the gtx 1070 yet, would I be better off by buying more rx 470?

fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:29:22 PM

Well, I haven't purchased the gtx 1070 yet, would I be better off by buying more rx 470?

i personally think the gtx offers more coin options than the rx but to make money and quicker returns   mining ethereum the rx wins as it is cheaper.
IsaacBitcoiner

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:29:48 PM

If I had very cheap electricity I would consider mining some of them. The question is, for how long can these alts remain sustainable.

Byteball.org   ❱❱❱  IT  JUST  WORKS.  ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email - Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments - ICO Platform with KYC
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:35:23 PM

i think a lot btc is about 45% dominance the alts have really taken ground and still holding. get a strategy and see what happens, without trying i get good returns, some coins for example lbry have doubled. mining is complicated but allows more home grown owners, i.e more decentralization, which i think some prefer to btc mining.

if it goes tits up sell them at least you have something to show for it all.
Grahnite

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

DeepOnions for the WIN!

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:40:51 PM

If you can find the cards to mine with. Everything is out of stock globally. When cards do come for sale, it's usually for a premium. That will increase your costs and the payback time.

^^ THIS - it is almost impossible to get any cards anywhere. I was also thinking of building a rig, but have just shelved it for the time being. And now with the news of AMD and Nvidia both starting to make GPU's specifically for mining, times are changing. I am sitting on the sidelines watching, for now.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:42:18 PM

GPUs specifically for mining??  Shocked First time I hear about that.
Do you have a source/link for me? Smiley I'd be very much interested in their gear!!
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:06:14 PM

Seems like the riser cables I put on order at all4btc got sold out before being ordered Sad

Does it matter what kind of riser cables I order?
Or will any x1 to x16 pcie riser cables work as good?

Vann

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:10:37 PM

Seems like the riser cables I put on order at all4btc got sold out before being ordered Sad

I use 6-pin PCI-E risers. Three thicker wires that are designed to spread a higher 12V load instead of two used by molex and sata connectors. The 6-pin risers also use four capacitors for a more stable current flow compared to the three used by the molex and sata risers. The good ones also come with a voltage regulator to prevent spikes. Here is a good overview of the different riser types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQM8MRGUWs

It's also a good idea to order twice as many risers as you think you will need. Nothing worse than being stuck with a card idle and waiting for risers to arrive.
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:47:29 PM

I use 6-pin PCI-E risers. Three thicker wires that are designed to spread a higher 12V load instead of two used by molex and sata connectors. The 6-pin risers also use four capacitors for a more stable current flow compared to the three used by the molex and sata risers. The good ones also come with a voltage regulator to prevent spikes. Here is a good overview of the different riser types:

It's also a good idea to order twice as many risers as you think you will need. Nothing worse than being stuck with a card idle and waiting for risers to arrive.

These would be good right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIKESHU-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B071NMZSZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496940375&sr=8-2&keywords=pci-e+riser+6+pin

Vann

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:52:57 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2017, 05:11:21 PM by Vann

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIKESHU-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B071NMZSZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496940375&sr=8-2&keywords=pci-e+riser+6+pin

I like the push-pin type risers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyerivs-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B06ZYCRX7B

They seem to latch on the card more securely than the slider type.
Nokia555

Activity: 392
Merit: 266

EthMonitoring.com

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2017, 05:04:55 PM

Build one Nvidia rig and one AMD rig, less problems and easier to handle, i have this way, no compatibility issues what so ever, like others said, gpu config is pain in the a.. if you have mixed them.
I have 1080TI running like a charm, i personally would buy only 1080ti-s, easier to sell gamers later: http://mylifegadgets.com/GTX1080TI one makes like 11-14$ per day and 300-400$ per month using only 185W power Smiley

iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:14:22 PM

I like the push-pin type risers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyerivs-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B06ZYCRX7B

They seem to latch on the card more securely than the slider type.

Sweet!

Just ordered 7 of those Smiley
+ 3 off ebay for spares Cheesy

Build one Nvidia rig and one AMD rig, less problems and easier to handle, i have this way, no compatibility issues what so ever, like others said, gpu config is pain in the a.. if you have mixed them.
I have 1080TI running like a charm, i personally would buy only 1080ti-s, easier to sell gamers later: http://mylifegadgets.com/GTX1080TI one makes like 11-14$ per day and 300-400$ per month using only 185W power Smiley

yeah, but it's double the price of an rx 470 and 50% more than a gtx 1070  Cheesy

----------------------

How many GPUs would fit in here?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152561445042?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=451960305634&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also got this for improvisation purposes of creating a case
- 100PCS Self Adhesive Rubber Feet Clear Semicircle Bumpers
- 2PCS Grid Divider Tray Egg Crate Aquarium Fish Tank Filter Bottom Isolate Black White (putting in on top of the crate and GPUs on top if it)
- 100pcs Black White Network Nylon Plastic Cable Wire Zip Tie Cord Strap  ( to secure stuff)

Nokia555

Activity: 392
Merit: 266

EthMonitoring.com

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2017, 05:27:22 PM

Yeah i have GTX1070 also, makes 500mh/s @ 108W DGB skein, GTX1080ti makes 860mh/s @185W.

Just having one rig with 6 of them should be pretty easy to handle and makes a nice profit Smiley

iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:32:56 PM

Also, I'v ordered this RAM
Looks weird af to me, but as far as I know any DDR3 RAM will be good?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: