Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:18:20 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was buying ripple and now I got SCAMMED  (Read 2780 times)
zero3112 (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:32:32 AM

Ok thanks for clearing this up but how do I read a pgp message if it wasn't sent to my pgp public key? And how do I know if its your key anyone can copy and paste. Apparently I am not the only one who got scammed.

The scammer set up the escrow not me and the escrow was set up with John K.

.... You don't understand how escrows work, don't you? You need to verify that it's the escrow you're sending the funds to. Hell, I GPG sign every escrow contract I send out, be it 1 BTC or 1000BTC - if the signature is wrong IT ISN'T ME! In this case, you didn't even verify if it was me who sent you the escrow contract directly via PM.  Angry

Can you do escrows without having to do GPG signatures? That is a pain in the ass and I'd prefer not to use them.

GPG signatures are for the security of the users involved - I know most people are not verifying that the signatures are valid, but it makes sense when you're dealing with 1k+ BTC. Also, I send the contract out via my account directly... that would be the baseline to confirm that I sent this contract out.  Undecided

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:32:50 AM

Yes he forward the message he received from John K.

Huh?! Did you have proof that he setup the escrow with John ? I do not see any note by John here.

Hey man, John K said he'd do escrow for our deal. He told me to send the funds to his escrow address 1GG3CLYd36tmU2X73rmHYzsTtaJcNwMcCC. Once I see the first confirmation to that address, I'll send you your coins.

Get it?
No he created the message, you didn't check the signature, John was never involved, you sent your coins straight to the scammer
This.

And damn... Angry

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
zero3112 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:34:35 AM

I tried contacting John K. before I sent the coins no reply though. Until later then I was told it was fake he didn't setup the escrow.

Huh?! Did you have proof that he setup the escrow with John ? I do not see any note by John here.

Hey man, John K said he'd do escrow for our deal. He told me to send the funds to his escrow address 1GG3CLYd36tmU2X73rmHYzsTtaJcNwMcCC. Once I see the first confirmation to that address, I'll send you your coins.

Get it?
No he created the message, you didn't check the signature, John was never involved, you sent your coins straight to the scammer

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:36:34 AM

Ok thanks for clearing this up but how do I read a pgp message if it wasn't sent to my pgp public key? And how do I know if its your key anyone can copy and paste. Apparently I am not the only one who got scammed.

.... You don't understand how escrows work, don't you? You need to verify that it's the escrow you're sending the funds to. Hell, I GPG sign every escrow contract I send out, be it 1 BTC or 1000BTC - if the signature is wrong IT ISN'T ME! In this case, you didn't even verify if it was me who sent you the escrow contract directly via PM.  Angry

Can you do escrows without having to do GPG signatures? That is a pain in the ass and I'd prefer not to use them.

GPG signatures are for the security of the users involved - I know most people are not verifying that the signatures are valid, but it makes sense when you're dealing with 1k+ BTC. Also, I send the contract out via my account directly... that would be the baseline to confirm that I sent this contract out.  Undecided
Well, I suggest you take up the free offer here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98574.0

Please read up on how GPG works - the hash data after the message is different if even a backspace is inserted in the text. At the very least, please verify that I messaged the escrow contract to you directly.  Undecided
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:38:07 AM

I tried contacting John K. before I sent the coins no reply though. Until later then I was told it was fake he didn't setup the escrow.

Get it?
Mate, I have a life outside the forums.  Undecided Also, you sent the coins before even sending the PM to me:

I just sent money to 1FMkokNtu7oQyjwaYcM5wDQG9VUN4hUBMb foofight said this was your escrow. I am the buyer buying ripple from boofight and he is the seller.  I sent bitcoins to here 1FMkokNtu7oQyjwaYcM5wDQG9VUN4hUBMb and waiting for him to send ripple.
zero3112 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:40:09 AM

Hey at least I pm'd you to check if you did escrow it to make sure. Other wise I would have never pm you.

zero3112 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:42:29 AM

Why don't all you fourm spammers and haters go away.  Why doesn't anyone do anything to these scammers on this fourm.  This website is trash it needs these bugs fixed.  Why can you edit what people are quoted saying.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:44:02 AM

Hey at least I pm'd you to check if you did escrow it to make sure. Other wise I would have never pm you.
Well, PM before you send the coins next time, as the coins are effectively lost if you've sent it to the scammer's address.
zero3112 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:47:38 AM

Thanks for the tip only you should of told me before this.  Now you guys come out and say check the message and verify it.

But why didn't you have a tutorial and warning about this before or is this the first time something like this has happened.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:48:25 AM

Why don't all you fourm spammers and haters go away.  Why doesn't anyone do anything to these scammers on this fourm.  This website is trash it needs these bugs fixed.  Why can you edit what people are quoted saying.
That is not a bug - you can do that in almost all forums too.

Code:
[quote author=God]
I am here.
[/quote]

Quote from: God
I am here.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:51:51 AM

Thanks for the tip only you should of told me before this.  Now you guys come out and say check the message and verify it.

But why didn't you have a tutorial and warning about this before or is this the first time something like this has happened.
... Apparently this is the first time someone sent the coins before checking to see if the contract came from me. *facepalm* Hell, if you received an email saying it's from your bank (and not attempting to spoof the 'from' part), would you give them your ID too?
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:52:30 AM

This website is trash it needs these bugs fixed.  Why can you edit what people are quoted saying.
You can't edit what others say. Only admins/mods can do that. It's basic SMF dude.

Hi guys, I'm back. I need some free bitcoins, send them here: 1IsUreash3llh0peno1iSthisdumb

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
zero3112 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:00:59 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2014, 11:53:15 PM by zero3112

How do you verify if anything is real then.  I guess its best to never sell or buy bitcoin and never use this worthless currency what good is a currency where you get scammed and there is no recourse. I can never really buy anything with bitcoin without the risk of being scammed from the seller.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:05:43 AM

Your right it is pointless.  Just quit.

I am sure wordpress or namecheap are just building up to the massive scam of stealing $10 worth of BTC from you.

Trade with people you trust.  If you don't trust someone use an escrow YOU TRUST (and no that doesn't mean blindly sending coins to the address the person you don't trust asks you to).
Taccomc

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:08:21 AM

it looks like foofight copy and pasted the contract I originally had with him today that John was escrowing for us, and then he sent it to you.  Let this be a lesson to all.

Let's color the MOON: XzB5J9HQSPyfN5goGsqV3D65w4VpeqGNF5
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:11:28 AM

I've actually used John's service twice the past weeks and paid for merchandise with Bitcoin. I made sure John sent the messages to me, and it wasn't forwarded to be my the persons I was trading with. I mean, by your logic, you should stop using "email" because someone could edit the forwarded email.

There is nothing wrong with Bitcoin, John, or the forum. The problem is with yourself and the scammer. We aren't the reason for you calamity. I hate to say it, but Bitcoin doesn't need people like you. If you are technically incompetent, perhaps you should further study trading and Bitcoin before getting your feet wet. Or pick another field altogether.

shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:13:59 AM

How do you verify if anything is real then.  I guess its bust to never sell or buy bitcoin and never use this worthless currency what good is a currency where you get scammed and there is no recourse. I can never really buy anything with bitcoin without the risk of being scammed from the seller.

Umm ... learn to walk before you run ? Take a step back, cool down and come back tomorrow to read the gibberish you just spewed out in last two pages.

zeroIQ is correct.

P.S. : Oh - and you are lurking the forum since June 2012 and still ... ?!  Undecided  Shocked
zero3112 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:38:42 AM

And did you have a successful trade with this user?

it looks like foofight copy and pasted the contract I originally had with him today that John was escrowing for us, and then he sent it to you.  Let this be a lesson to all.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:39:40 AM

And did you have a successful trade with this user?

I returned his funds to him after it was evident that foofight wasn't going to do the trade after all.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13090

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:14:34 AM

Why don't all you fourm spammers and haters go away.  Why doesn't anyone do anything to these scammers on this fourm.  This website is trash it needs these bugs fixed.  Why can you edit what people are quoted saying.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: