Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:41:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Who we are  (Read 42306 times)
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:29:51 PM

What better time to do a commercial then the "superbowl" of Bitcoin...

Wink

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitprotection

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:31:45 PM

Something doesn't add up here Mt.gox crashes and they go on a PR spree?

Working on protecting the community!
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:32:33 PM

I hope tradehill starts implementing more secure authentication like SMS, because it's going to be the next target since mtgox got completely owned.
LHutz

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:32:50 PM

Just for the record, I've spoken to rep's from th when I had a few issues and the response obtained was accurate and quick. Volume seems to be going higher. And, well, judging for the circumstances...
zerokwel

Activity: 464

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:39:11 PM

the first place I can trade from uk bank to BTC and back again Will win my vote. atm It seems a chore to get cash back and forward
rdonohoe

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:42:52 PM

I am looking forward to TH supporting deposit and withdrawals in EUR.
Account funding via paysafe cards or uKash might be one way to speed up times but might be a little expensive.

Does anyone understand why, in the 21st C bank transfers take so long?
Kman54

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:43:39 PM

putting my tinfoil hat on, this all seems very strange.

Mtgox is hacked/crashed - goes offline

Mass of threads/posts about how Mtgox was hacked, unsafe etc.

Mass of threads/posts about how we should all switch to Tradehill

Introduction thread about who tradehill is, within several hours of Mtgox going offline.

The chance of this all being coincidence doesn't seem very high, this definitely looks like a duck to me.
KingFisher9

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:45:23 PM

putting my tinfoil hat on, this all seems very strange.

Mtgox is hacked/crashed - goes offline

Mass of threads/posts about how Mtgox was hacked, unsafe etc.

Mass of threads/posts about how we should all switch to Tradehill

Introduction thread about who tradehill is, within several hours of Mtgox going offline.

The chance of this all being coincidence seems very high to me, this definitely looks like a duck to me.

this
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:46:54 PM

I am looking forward to TH supporting deposit and withdrawals in EUR.
Account funding via paysafe cards or uKash might be one way to speed up times but might be a little expensive.

Does anyone understand why, in the 21st C bank transfers take so long?

Because banks operate around the interests of the banks, while bitcoin is built around the interests of the people Smiley
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:47:16 PM

In regards to the servers we're on it. It's one thing to grow quickly and another to have the entire Bitcoin world try to log in at once.
That's EXACTLY what you need to be prepared for though.  If you can't handle the load during extremely pressing times, then you're little better than Mt. Gox.  If you're going to be THE defacto exchange (and you now have a hell of an opportunity and I wish you luck) then you need to change your way of thinking.
Travis

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:50:29 PM

Something doesn't add up here Mt.gox crashes and they go on a PR spree?

Why does that seem suspicious? They want to get more business.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 07:51:58 PM

If you are half the honorable people you claim to be, you will do what you can to help mtgox sort out their issues.  There is plenty of room for you, mtgox and probably 10 other exchanges in this market.  What hurts mtgox, hurts bitcoin and hurts you too.

No one from TradeHill has officially responded to this post.  It is not unusual for competitors to share information and lend each other support, particularly in a nacent market like bitcoin.  If there is a perception at TradeHill (or at mtgox) that they must slice each others' throats to win in the marketplace, then I prefer to take my bitcoins elsewhere.  More than a few people have commented about the timing of the mtgox attacks and TradeHill's appearance/marketing.  I'm not trying to be accusatory, but I'm sure this question is at the back of many peoples' minds.  A statement in support of mtgox and a repudiation of any ill intention toward mtgox on the part of TradeHill would be a positive development.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:53:12 PM

well i like tradehill but maybe some ceasefire wouldn't be bad in this situation
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 07:55:05 PM

If you are half the honorable people you claim to be, you will do what you can to help mtgox sort out their issues.  There is plenty of room for you, mtgox and probably 10 other exchanges in this market.  What hurts mtgox, hurts bitcoin and hurts you too.

Hi Steve,

This is a great point.

Last week we were contacted by two folks who were hacked at Gox.

We proposed to work with them to create a community Task Force dedicated to Exchange Security. Could be things like providing resources to hunt down thieves, or create a sort of Wikileaks for Bitcoins, etc. It would be formed by the community and funded by donations – Tradehill was open to donating part of each trade to the fund. We understand there may not be a clear solution and it will take innovation.

If you would like to be part of a committee to assemble such group, then please email info@tradehill.com with Task Force in the title.

We are open to assist Mark in any way he may require. Since we don’t have his number he can PM Jered and we can have a call immediately

Regards,
Adam Stradling

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:56:22 PM

No one from TradeHill has officially responded to this post.  It is not unusual for competitors to share information and lend each other support, particularly in a nacent market like bitcoin.  If there is a perception at TradeHill (or at mtgox) that they must slice each others' throats to win in the marketplace, then I prefer to take my bitcoins elsewhere.  More than a few people have commented about the timing of the mtgox attacks and TradeHill's appearance/marketing.  I'm not trying to be accusatory, but I'm sure this question is at the back of many peoples' minds.  A statement in support of mtgox and a repudiation of any ill intention toward mtgox on the part of TradeHill would be a positive development.

What do you suppose they do to help out a competitor?

What ought to happen is MtGox's people get in touch with Tradehill's people, and let them know the hashing scheme used for the passwords that were leaked. Then when you log into Tradehill, it checks the hacked password list to see if you're using the same information, and locks your account.

I'm betting that dumbshits reusing their passwords was the cause for the little dip to $11 we had earlier on Tradehill - someone probably lost their BTC on TH as well.

But that's imply TH need to lift a finger at all - it goes without saying that if you're reusing passwords and you were registered on MtGox, you should be changing passwords right about now.

^_^
Kman54

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:58:41 PM

the classy thing to do would be to just ease up while Mtgox is being attacked, instead of jumping in like sharks smelling blood in the water. "This PR spree" reflects poorly on your company.
firefox

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:04:36 PM

i saw this coming from a mile away.
if i were an exchange... i would do the same thing TH has, market my self.  
TH would have a vested interest in seeing mt gox fail... but not when the market is so volatile.  it makes bitcoin as a whole seem risky in this early stage.  if this had happened in a few years when bitcoin is entrenched and widely accepted i could see TH having something to do with it...
but in this case, NO.

you need to have a safety shutoff/check on huge suspicious game changing orders

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 08:09:35 PM

the classy thing to do would be to just ease up while Mtgox is being attacked, instead of jumping in like sharks smelling blood in the water. "This PR spree" reflects poorly on your company.

Hi Kman,

We just responded to this – we have offered our help!

The reality of the situation is that we spent last night assembling our introductions for the intent of posting today. It is purely coincidence. If anyone doubts otherwise, we can provide our document histories.

Additionally, we have assembled an array of other posts – I can show you the one titled “Task Force for Exchange Community” which outlines this idea – it was written last night!

I can also provide you the emails, wherein we speak about this idea, with the two people who were robbed.  

FYI - Jered is sending Mark and email right now!

Regards,
Adam Stradling

moneyandtech.com
sang

Activity: 282

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:19:39 PM

Can I suggest creating both a twitter account and a presence in an IRC channel (ex: #TradeHill)?

You can use these two to communicate with your customer base in the event something were to happen to tradehill like just happened to MtGox. Twitter is fantastic for getting out quick "we know it - were working on it" snippets to ease people's fear.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 08:23:11 PM

tell us about your security infrastructure. some details. how can we trust you?

Hi Paulie,

We are preparing a document for post titled “Technology, Process, Infrastructure” which will address these items.

In the wake of such attack, it is important that our customers know what we are doing to protect their investments.

If you see our other posts on this thread, we were also in the process of preparing an array of separately themed posted addressing various issues in general. One was our idea for a community Task Force to enhance Bitcoin security across exchanges and in general – this would be funded in-part from Tradehill commissions.

If you would like to get involved then please send an email to info@tradehill.com with “Task Force” in the title.

Regards,
Adam Stradling

moneyandtech.com
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: