Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal Demos Change-Free Gumball Machine  (Read 1509 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 06:37:33 AM

URL: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7436607-paypal-demos-changefree-gumball-machine

At the recent Paypal X Innovate 2010 Developers Conference, held in San Diego, CA in late October, Paypal Labs showed off their proof-of-concept change-free gumball machine.

A clever combination of PayPal, QR codes (a type of barcode that can be scanned on a smartphone and can contain various kinds of information, including web links), smartphones and Twitter, the gumball machine instantly debited a PayPal account and dispensed a gumball to anyone with the capability to read QR codes on their mobile phone.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 08:10:04 AM

... and when you chargeback you are chased by men in a black van who forcefully remove the gum from your mouth.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 08:36:08 AM

... and when you chargeback you are chased by men in a black van who forcefully remove the gum from your mouth.

LOL
No!
We're talking about PayPal.
They're "attached" to your bank account (aka a co-owner of your bank account)... which means, they'll simply take the $0.25 out of your bank account -- even if it causes Your SAVINGS account to be overdrawn, and results in $75 in fees from your bank...
Don't worry.  PayPal will get their $0.25 every time.
They're evil bastards.
Which is one of the reasons I support Bitcoin so much, and created http://bitcoinme.com
.. because of how evil PayPal is.
tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 08:43:35 AM

LOL
No!
They're "attached" to your bank account (aka a co-owner of your bank account)... which means, they'll simply take the $0.25 out of your bank account -- even if it causes Your SAVINGS account to be overdrawn, and results in $75 in fees from your bank...
Don't worry.  PayPal will get their $0.25 every time.
They're evil bastards.
Which is one of the reasons I support Bitcoin so much, and created http://bitcoinme.com

Fucking banks, you don't know how many times I've had to pay $30 dollars for a $4 dollar coffee
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 11:39:35 AM

LOL
No!
Don't worry.  PayPal will get their $0.25 every time.
They're evil bastards.

Can't paypal be used with paysafecards and such, to avoid debits & extra charges ?

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 08:43:29 PM

LOL
No!
They're evil bastards.

Can't paypal be used with paysafecards and such, to avoid debits & extra charges ?

No.  After you've spent $8000 on your PayPal account, PayPal REQUIRES You to "attach" your PayPal account to a bank account (not just a credit card).  This way they can withdrawal from that Account any time they want - even if they overdraw your bank account.   PayPal doesn't care. 
tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 09:12:45 PM

LOL
No!
They're evil bastards.

No.  After you've spent $8000 on your PayPal account, PayPal REQUIRES You to "attach" your PayPal account to a bank account (not just a credit card).  This way they can withdrawal from that Account any time they want - even if they overdraw your bank account.   PayPal doesn't care. 

PayPal is pretty much as evil as a brick and mortar bank
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 11:53:19 PM

I watched that entire video, and they never dispensed any gum from it.

I think I'll hook up a bunch of wires to the coke machine at the mall with a QR sticker and create a video saying I have a bitcoin coke dispenser.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 27, 2010, 12:03:34 AM

WOW, now You have surprised me.
Paypal is a piece of some nasty shit !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: