Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:30:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Exhaust/Vent/Cooling 13 Antminer S9s  (Read 2700 times)
backspaceflip (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 02:42:22 AM

Hi everyone! I need some help/advice. I have 13 Antminer S9s in a ~180sq ft room. The miners are on a 5 tier wire shelving unit. There are 4 miners on the first tier and 3 miners on tiers 2-4. Each miner pushes out air at about 250 CFM. The issue is that this makes the room very hot (which is bad for the other equipment in the room). The room temperature gets up to about 110°F with the miners on vs about 76°F with them off. The miners are about 12 ft away from a louvered (slotted) door that leads directly outside and the room is still getting too hot.

If the door is open and all of the miners are running, the chip temps on the miners don’t get too crazy (mid 90°sC) but the room is still too hot and I obviously can’t keep the door open 24/7. We have tried to attach 4” ducting to each miner that goes up into the ceiling and then ultimately over to exhausting outside. This kept the room temperature fine but the miners/hashing boards kept failing and showing the fault light. I checked the logs of the machines and every time they failed it would say Fatal Error: temperature too high! But the weird part is that the chip temps were always within the suggest range (80°-110°C). We assumed this was because the air being exhausted into the ducts wasn’t being pushed all the way out and would sit in the ducting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get all of the hot exhaust out of the room (with or without ducting).

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:57:59 AM

When i was a miner i just used a roof fan to expel the hot air out a window, was a cheap easy fix n worked great

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
backspaceflip (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 04:55:43 PM

When i was a miner i just used a roof fan to expel the hot air out a window, was a cheap easy fix n worked great

Thanks, but there’s no window in the room I have my setup in! Do you have any other suggestions?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 05:46:16 PM

You can always cut a hole in the room and exhaust via the new hole

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 06:24:46 PM

I use this http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/fans/blower/portable-ventilation-fan-12-inch-with-16-feet-flexible-ducting to ventilate the area at work where my main farm is running 25Kw of s9/t9/Avalons. Ran the duct up through the suspended ceiling to outside vent.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:01:20 AM

Thanks, but there’s no window in the room I have my setup in! Do you have any other suggestions?

Roof fan to the ducts, the cfm of the fan is extreme so it'll push the air out, trust me

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2017, 09:29:32 PM

Roof fan to the ducts, the cfm of the fan is extreme so it'll push the air out, trust me

Putting the fan at the other end pulling air through will give you greater throughput, if you weren't already suggesting that.

backspaceflip (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:25:10 AM

Putting the fan at the other end pulling air through will give you greater throughput, if you weren't already suggesting that.

Hi, yes this is what I will be trying tomorrow! Going to have a duct fan midway through the ducting to try to help pull air through. Will update after.
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 12:22:13 PM

I ran into cooling issues as well. This is why I decided to send off my equipment for hosting.. after doing the math on what it would cost to "properly" setup the space for cooling it just didn't make sense. Couple that with the fact that you don't need to monitor the equipment, internet connection, etc it just made sense. It actually saved me money. I know is not a direct solution to the fan\ducting issue, but it'll help if you cant come up with a long term solution.
blockchainmd

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 04:40:31 AM

Had a similar problem. Ended up using these: https://www.amazon.com/Antminer-120mm-Duct-Cooling-Shroud/dp/B01M0N30QC

I think there is a 4" version as well
LamboHT

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 04:15:54 PM

Any update on the OP cooling/vent issue ? 
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 03:58:23 AM

The only way to provide reliable abduction of hot air is a thing mentioned above. I came to the same solution to the problem. Hot air is being collected into the air duct with flexible pipes, and then you can blow away this hot air with powerfull fan of any kind and size you want. Otherwise the room was hot almost like a russian banya, and we were not able to install industrial-grade super powerfull (and super noizy) mega-fan... The air duct has solved our problem...

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
NotoriousMIKEY

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:23:59 AM

I use this http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/fans/blower/portable-ventilation-fan-12-inch-with-16-feet-flexible-ducting to ventilate the area at work where my main farm is running 25Kw of s9/t9/Avalons. Ran the duct up through the suspended ceiling to outside vent.

Did you need to add any objects to "funnel" the exhaust from miners or do you just position this fan near the antminer racks and let it suck the air away?
castiel0504

Activity: 266
Merit: 109

Ultra Mega Giga Super Cool Flying Oposum!

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:18:28 AM

I know this is almost waking up a dead thread, but don't do that. Other then that you can buy from ebay 3D printed "Air duct s9" best one to go is with 6".
notey

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:40:22 PM

Hi everyone! I need some help/advice. I have 13 Antminer S9s in a ~180sq ft room. The miners are on a 5 tier wire shelving unit. There are 4 miners on the first tier and 3 miners on tiers 2-4. Each miner pushes out air at about 250 CFM. The issue is that this makes the room very hot (which is bad for the other equipment in the room). The room temperature gets up to about 110°F with the miners on vs about 76°F with them off. The miners are about 12 ft away from a louvered (slotted) door that leads directly outside and the room is still getting too hot.

If the door is open and all of the miners are running, the chip temps on the miners don’t get too crazy (mid 90°sC) but the room is still too hot and I obviously can’t keep the door open 24/7. We have tried to attach 4” ducting to each miner that goes up into the ceiling and then ultimately over to exhausting outside. This kept the room temperature fine but the miners/hashing boards kept failing and showing the fault light. I checked the logs of the machines and every time they failed it would say Fatal Error: temperature too high! But the weird part is that the chip temps were always within the suggest range (80°-110°C). We assumed this was because the air being exhausted into the ducts wasn’t being pushed all the way out and would sit in the ducting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get all of the hot exhaust out of the room (with or without ducting).

Thanks!

Exhaust fans won't do that much good.  I run 40 miners and have them outside of a 4'X8' plywood box.  I have them exhausting directly into the box which pressurizes it.  I have 4, 12" exhaust hoses running (static) to the exterior.  The pressurization of the box pushes the air out the open exhaust vents just as fast as an inline fan could do it.  I used to have 6, 1000 cfm inline fans pulling on the exhaust until I discovered that the fans were actually restricting the air flow, not helping.  You need lots of fresh air on the intake side of the miners and you must control the hot air exiting very well, not allowing any major leaks in the box, etc.  Message me and I'll send you some pictures.  Just my 2 cents.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: