Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:06:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Wallet for altcoins?  (Read 4808 times)
SnowRoll (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:57:40 AM

So, in the last couple of months I have spread my portfolio to about 20 different tokens.
I am now looking for a hardware wallet to better secure them.
From what I read so far, the Ledger Nano S looks as the preferred choice, mostly for its support for multiple tokens (as opposed to Trezor's BTC only).
Seeing it's on backorder till late July, I was wondering if there are any other recommended hardware wallets?
Also, as my intention is to hodl for 5-10 years, should I consider using paper wallets, instead?
Any other security tips will be much appreciated.
umatej

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:38:24 AM

So, in the last couple of months I have spread my portfolio to about 20 different tokens.
From what I read so far, the Ledger Nano S looks as the preferred choice, mostly for its support for multiple tokens (as opposed to Trezor's BTC only).
Seeing it's on backorder till late July, I was wondering if there are any other recommended hardware wallets?
Also, as my intention is to hodl for 5-10 years, should I consider using paper wallets, instead?

At the moment, one and only Ledger Nano S. BUT its sold out and i think this will continue for some time.
bct_ail
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 2225

https://t1p.de/6ghrf

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2017, 12:00:45 PM

Can Ledger Nano S contain any Altcoin?Can Ledger Nano S contain any Altcoin? Or is there any other Hardware Wallet in the market to contain any Altcoin? Is it technically possible?
cattani30

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Patience is the key to success

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 12:36:50 PM

Trezor is also working on integrating more altcoins, at this moment is supports BTC,ETH,ETC,DASH,ZEC and LTC
David Horton

Activity: 96

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 01:28:45 PM

TREZOR Wallet, or Ledger Nano S
RubyM

Activity: 60
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 01:39:21 PM

TREZOR Wallet is the best hardware wallet

Digital asset exchange for settlement, clearing, custody and trading of various digital assets - https://bex.global/login
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2017, 02:40:02 PM

Used to be Ledger Nano S supported more altcoins than Trezor but Trezor is catching up. They both work with MyEtherWallet for tokens. The problem is finding either in stock. Better place an order now so you receive as soon as possible. I use both and the major differences are 1) Trezor can be used with one hand while Nano S takes two to press the buttons and 2) Nano S is more rugged than Trezor. There is a video on YouTube of a Nano S being driven over by a car and still works. Nano S guarantee is two years while Trezor is warrantied for one.

Both have secure on device recovery now so you never have to be concerned about typing your seed into a computer if you need to replace a broken hardware wallet. Better buy two while you are at it, it is always nice to have a spare in case of loss or malfunction. As long as you have a spare you can recover your written seed to a new wallet in 10 minutes.

HippiePyro

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

A non technical guy in a technical world

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 07:03:27 PM

Are these still the top choice for a multicoin hardware wallet? Is there one that supports the newer platforms like NEO, Ubiq, and Waves? Even a rumor of a hardware that supports all the above and more?
Also, I was wondering if you can stake coins that are stored in a hardware wallet?
Lastly, can you copy the private keys of a hardware wallet, incase the device break and you don't have the seed?
Thanks for your time!
namethathasntbeentaken

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

update : namewastaken

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:17:41 PM

Are these still the top choice for a multicoin hardware wallet? Is there one that supports the newer platforms like NEO, Ubiq, and Waves? Even a rumor of a hardware that supports all the above and more?
Also, I was wondering if you can stake coins that are stored in a hardware wallet?
Lastly, can you copy the private keys of a hardware wallet, incase the device break and you don't have the seed?
Thanks for your time!

this.
i'm a newbie too and would like to also ask :
are hardware wallets safer than online wallets?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬     SPECTRECOIN     ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Native TOR+OBFS4  ●  Mobile & Stealth Staking Soon!  ●  Ghost Protocol  ●  Available on Bisq.io
XSPEC Slack  ◆   Website  ◆  Twitter  ◆  Facebook  ◆  Reddit  ◆  Telegram
faroredono

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:23:54 PM

If you're HODL for 5-10 years, I would definitely do paper.

Electronics have a lifespan, and you don't want to find out when your hardware wallet is about to die. I would only use a hardware wallet if I needed to get access easily on the road, not for 5-10 year holds.
electricretard

Activity: 170

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:24:44 PM

Thanks for your time!

this.
i'm a newbie too and would like to also ask :
are hardware wallets safer than online wallets?

Hardware wallet is probably as safe as you can get with convenience. I have most of my alts stored in a far more complex system but trezor is super secure and it's fast and easy to use.
redhorse

Activity: 254

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:01:39 PM

Electronics have a lifespan, and you don't want to find out when your hardware wallet is about to die. I would only use a hardware wallet if I needed to get access easily on the road, not for 5-10 year holds.

In case of hardware device failure (or loss) you can recover your wallet using the seed (that you have on paper). You don't need a new hardware wallet to do this.
ghostunicorn

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:13:19 PM

You can use seeds to get your information and coins back if you're using ledger nano S. And I don't think their life span is less than 10 years. Think about 15 yer old mp3 players. They're still working.
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:16:58 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2017, 04:03:58 AM by sylance

I looked into hardware wallets and the Ledger S is what I settled on.  As others have said, they're sold out until mid-September so hopefully you're not in a hurry.  And just to be clear, the Ledger S allows for a paper backup so that if it's lost or damaged you can restore your wallet using the seed.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
namethathasntbeentaken

Activity: 150

update : namewastaken

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:23:58 PM

man, all these wallets and they're sold out, makes me wonder if that's not a serious indication of a bubble among cryptosphere

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬     SPECTRECOIN     ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Native TOR+OBFS4  ●  Mobile & Stealth Staking Soon!  ●  Ghost Protocol  ●  Available on Bisq.io
XSPEC Slack  ◆   Website  ◆  Twitter  ◆  Facebook  ◆  Reddit  ◆  Telegram
Drokzid

Activity: 932
Merit: 257

HAIL THE KING!

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 11:57:17 PM

man, all these wallets and they're sold out, makes me wonder if that's not a serious indication of a bubble among cryptosphere
Google trends indicator still green. Smiley

BTC IS KING!
indrakusumaindra

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 01:00:06 AM

ya. too much risk and doubt at the same time. but i believe there is some hardware wallet that secure and very helpfull in managing coins. wish you luck.

Westfiled

Activity: 271

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:38:31 AM

What a bubble? We are in the fact that the crypto become a trend later, they're sold out due to secure the money in the safe place, remember a lot of the hacked case and a lot of the duns already drained from the online wallet.

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:07:15 AM

What a bubble? We are in the fact that the crypto become a trend later, they're sold out due to secure the money in the safe place, remember a lot of the hacked case and a lot of the duns already drained from the online wallet.

What got me looking into it was several factors; BTC being now worth $4000, the BTC-e fiasco, and the recent Poloniex wobble has me a bit spooked.  I have several alt-coins so it'd be nice to consolidate them and not have them locked on my PC or risked on the web.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
3efdvfsd3rh

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:24:17 AM

I ordered the ledger nano but it will take like 4 months to deliver. . . . I hope my bitcoins are safe until then
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: