Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:37:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Cheap Miners : My "Secret"  (Read 60197 times)
erkow

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:52:13 AM

Thanks for writing this up.  I've been mostly looking for super cheap motherboards, etc., and never could find a complete computer on sale that was worth the money.
Definitely an alternative I'll look into more.
sundownz (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 04:22:51 PM

I need help with my Dell T5500 Rig, I'm trying to set up 3 RX580 GPU on it, I ran into problem when trying to power up all 3 of the RX580s, I bought the "8 pin CPU to 6+2 PCI Adapter" from Amazon for the third GPU, however when I connect the third GPU, DELL T5500 does not want to power (the power LED flashes orange a few times and it powers off). Why is the CPU power not powering the GPU using the adapter?

I have no problem running 2 of the RX580s, they are power by 2 of the 6 PIN PCI Cable using 6PIN TO 8PIN adapter.

It's possible the adapter is faulty. Do you have pics of it ?

When I was buying mine I had to order from China to get the right thing.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 04:23:20 PM

Thanks for writing this up.  I've been mostly looking for super cheap motherboards, etc., and never could find a complete computer on sale that was worth the money.
Definitely an alternative I'll look into more.

Good luck!

My Z400s are still all going strong with zero issues. Love them.

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 04:29:15 PM

I'd not touch those b stock cards with a 10 foot pole man...

a 1 year warranty on a $200+ card is the definition of gambling, plus the card was refurbished to begin with, so they have a history of problems ?

last time i bought used video cards in bulk from a supposedly reputable seller online all my cards died after six months of heavy mining, they barely paid for themsleves are are now sitting in the trash
and I only paid 125 per card.  Paying 350+ is maddness man

I will be sure to update the forum if I have any issues with these cards and/or if I have NO issues as well.

Although, direct from the MFG a B-Stock and/or Refurbished product should be pretty good.

Rolling the dice on this batch I suppose -- all my other cards have been new.

One card that I've used so far had a DOA fan. I've got an RMA and it's going smoothly so far.

Otherwise these cards look basically brand new.

Continued update -- all of my EVGA B-Stock cards going strong.

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 04:36:55 PM

In any event... there is a "secret" to these things... the power supply plug on the motherboard is "EPS" and an ATX supply will NOT work.

So what you do... is buy a PSU extension cable and modify it like so:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111388964237560787781/album/5362166283613539361/5366587361195860994

** -- This is NOT my data but it is what I found when doing my research.

Hey, really intrigued buy your guide and wanted to pull the trigger on a z400 with 4 gtx 1060s for my first system. I've only built a computer once before and this part is the only thing thats giving me some trouble. Is there any guide you can link showing how this is done and why its needed? Don't these refab computers you linked come assembled? why would they give you a power supply that doesn't work with the motherboard? Also any chance you could make a short guide on onboxing and connecting the gpus and innitial start up? understand if its to much work but I'd be willing to send you a xmr donation once I'm mining if you can help understand this better. thanks

I will take additional pics when I build the next one.

The original HP Z400 PSU doesn't need an adapter as it is an EPS supply.

When you replace with an aftermarket ATX supply the adapter is necessary.

The PCs come built & ready to go but the original PSU is not very strong.

skyglin

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:05:50 PM

I need help with my Dell T5500 Rig, I'm trying to set up 3 RX580 GPU on it, I ran into problem when trying to power up all 3 of the RX580s, I bought the "8 pin CPU to 6+2 PCI Adapter" from Amazon for the third GPU, however when I connect the third GPU, DELL T5500 does not want to power (the power LED flashes orange a few times and it powers off). Why is the CPU power not powering the GPU using the adapter?

I have no problem running 2 of the RX580s, they are power by 2 of the 6 PIN PCI Cable using 6PIN TO 8PIN adapter.

I bought from Amazon, here is the link, https://www.amazon.com/Dovewill-Express-Graphics-Video-Splitter/dp/B07548GX51

I feel that the wiring is wrong, I tried to compare with other adapters, the coloring doesn't seem to match, can you take a look and compare what you have?

Do you have link to where you purchase the adapter cable? Thanks.
RevoZ

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:07:32 PM

In any event... there is a "secret" to these things... the power supply plug on the motherboard is "EPS" and an ATX supply will NOT work.

So what you do... is buy a PSU extension cable and modify it like so:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111388964237560787781/album/5362166283613539361/5366587361195860994

** -- This is NOT my data but it is what I found when doing my research.

Hey, really intrigued buy your guide and wanted to pull the trigger on a z400 with 4 gtx 1060s for my first system. I've only built a computer once before and this part is the only thing thats giving me some trouble. Is there any guide you can link showing how this is done and why its needed? Don't these refab computers you linked come assembled? why would they give you a power supply that doesn't work with the motherboard? Also any chance you could make a short guide on onboxing and connecting the gpus and innitial start up? understand if its to much work but I'd be willing to send you a xmr donation once I'm mining if you can help understand this better. thanks

I will take additional pics when I build the next one.

The original HP Z400 PSU doesn't need an adapter as it is an EPS supply.

When you replace with an aftermarket ATX supply the adapter is necessary.

The PCs come built & ready to go but the original PSU is not very strong.

hello everyone,

thanks all for sharing your experiences especially sundownz.

Actually one of my colleagues told me that i can use hp 6005 and it supposed to handle 3 GPUs i want ask if any one here have any experience with this model.
also i'd like to suggest to make a list all your working or running work stations and name of model, specs , any other requirments or dependncies , how many GPUs can be operated and roughly prices, and finally problems you had faced during installations. to help of provide one big list with all gathered informations to help all members here.

sorry for my bad english and help will be highly appreciated.

thanks
sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 07:08:44 PM

I bought from Amazon, here is the link, https://www.amazon.com/Dovewill-Express-Graphics-Video-Splitter/dp/B07548GX51

I feel that the wiring is wrong, I tried to compare with other adapters, the coloring doesn't seem to match, can you take a look and compare what you have?

Do you have link to where you purchase the adapter cable? Thanks.

This is what I bought and it works fine for me in the T5500s.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Bitcoin-Mining-CPU-8pin-TO-2-PCI%252dE-6%252b2pin-Splitter-Cable.html

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 10:56:09 AM

sundownz, for the Z400s are you changing out the original PSUs with better ones?

Yes. I am using 750-watt Rosewill supplies (Quark, Photon, and Capstone models depending whats on sale).

Since these are ATX supplies the adapter I posted about is required for the motherboard plug on the Z400 (which is EPS standard).

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 03:41:54 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 03:52:01 PM by sundownz

By Request -- Photos of the Process:

** Fresh Refurb System Opened Up

** Permanently remove the plastic shroud

** Factory PSU rear view -- need a Torx bit to remove

** Factory PSU, included GPU, and all metal slot tabs removed

** Case all cleared out. This one came with 6 GB of RAM so I am leaving it alone.

** Package of XEON X5660 CPUs. I do CPU mining on these and these chips are CHEAP on E-Bay and 3x faster than the one that comes in them & also draw less power.

** Same Torx bit used for the PSU is used here.

** Factory thermal compound which is not so great anymore.

** All cleaned off

** OLD CPU -- just unclip and remove. Very easy.

** Awesome new thermal compound.

** About this much squishes out to cover it completely.

** Got some of these on sale. I either use these, the PHOTON, or the QUARK from Rosewill.

** It is semi-modular -- the motherboard plug & CPU plugs are built onto it.

** I like to zip tie like so to keep the other plug we aren't using out of the way

** Only 3 screws go in -- the third one doesn't fit correctly but you can get it in regardless to help hold in the PSU.

** CPU power plug in place.

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 03:42:14 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 03:56:55 PM by sundownz

** Here is the ATX to EPS adapter that I spoke about in the OP.

** Goes in like so.

** I run one PCI-X power cable over the back and one toward the front

** First strand of accessory power goes to the CD drive & the MOLEX plug on my adapter.

** Second and third accessory strands go down here & I like to run them through the drive cage to keep them out of the way. One of them powers the HDD.

** These have been going cheap for a while so I have a bunch of them

** These are the longest cards that will go in the bottom PCI-E slot on this board without hitting these wires. When I run 1080s I use the top PCI-E slot which only leave 3 slots accessible (which is fine as I only run 3x 1080s in a system).

** Three more PCI-E slots open.

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 03:42:21 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 04:01:07 PM by sundownz

** I use a piece of 7mm plywood for my external cards.

** I screw them down with two brass screws.

** I install the USB to PCI x1 connectors such that #1 is towards the front (PSU side) -- this makes it easy to know which card is which at a glance.

** The strand the powers the HDD also powers one riser.

** The third strand powers two risers. Some might say to just use ONE riser per stand but I have had no issues with two.

** The PCI-E power plug I ran over the back powers the "rear" two cards

** The "front" card requires an extension. I have been using this specific one for many months zero issues.

** All connected.

** You'll want to run the display off the "middle" card which corresponds to the top x16 PCI-E slot so you get display right away.

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 04:01:42 PM

Hope that helps guys!

hardworker27

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 04:14:07 PM

So could you please share us how much in total you spent, what you are mining, and how about your hashrate? Thanks.
cryptocoinhouz

Activity: 11

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 05:12:28 PM

excellent thread. Worth to read.

HP business desktop are the best in business.
sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 06:28:15 PM

So could you please share us how much in total you spent, what you are mining, and how about your hashrate? Thanks.

I have about $60k in total equipment.

Right now I am doing ZPOOL mining alts for BTC using NEMOS profit switcher -- so stating a static hash-rate is a bit hard.

I have previous mined XVG as well as mined on Nicehash.

I mine Intense Coin on my CPUs.

sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 06:49:46 PM

This is my main mining area.

Third rack isn't done so I have not neatened up the Ethernet cables. I also have the box setup on the wall across the opening for my 4th rack once I finish the 3rd one. Just need to wire outlets to it =)

I do also have machines around my home and the office mining -- so far total of 48 machines mining. All the dedicated miners have 3-4 cards & the home/office have 1-2 cards each.

lexele

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 07:22:21 PM

Third rack isn't done so I have not neatened up the Ethernet cables. I also have the box setup on the wall across the opening for my 4th rack once I finish the 3rd one. Just need to wire outlets to it =)

I do also have machines around my home and the office mining -- so far total of 48 machines mining. All the dedicated miners have 3-4 cards & the home/office have 1-2 cards each.

For one of my rigs I used HP XW4600. Very similar to z400 inside, very cheap. It's still running with 3 cards: 2x1070 inside, a mini next to a blower style, and a 1080ti hanging on the side of the standing tower.
kept the 475W psu to power the board and added 875WPSU for the cards.
Ventureum

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:42:25 PM

Thanks for sharing. It looks marvelous.

Ventureum – Milestone-Driven Community-Governed Crowdfunding Protocol  |   Twitter  |   Facebook
sundownz (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 11:25:52 AM

I have about $60k in total equipment.

Right now I am doing ZPOOL mining alts for BTC using NEMOS profit switcher -- so stating a static hash-rate is a bit hard.

I have previous mined XVG as well as mined on Nicehash.

I mine Intense Coin on my CPUs.

Are you making a profit, and how much profit?

It will take several more months to profit past equipment costs -- but I am confident it will do so. I am also *holding* a bunch of my mined coins -- so that holds the potential for large profit compared to simply looking @ daily / monthly figures.

I have made over 1/2 of my equipment cost back so far.

And, of course, it has taken me many months to build this all by myself in my spare time and with my personal funds.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: