Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:50:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of effect to expect on price w/ China news?  (Read 3081 times)
ironstove (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:10:15 AM

How much of this is real and how much of it is just hot air causing speculators to temporarily ramp the price before another heavy drop?

Here's my take on China along with many other Asian countries lacking on personal freedoms i.e. Iran/N.Korea/etc :

1. China is not new to the bitcoin market. In fact, all of Asia has been known of bitcoin for a long time, so a large portion of the speculators/investors that were going to be into bitcoin have already entered the market.

2. Even the few investors/speculators that would enter the market still have to wait a good amount of time to transfer money in, and big brother is watching where every yuan is moving, don't be surprised if you see a knock on the door and brought in to answer questions when the government sees your money moving into a BTC exchange.

3. Asians are very big fans of speculative investments, such as buying paintings, antiques, instruments, and such, but bitcoin is purely virtual. I am very skeptical on how much confidence your average Asian investor would have in placing assets into BTC or any crypto for the matter. A question many Asians would ask is why would you invest in BTC vs gold? The idea of a non-tangible commodity is too radical for these Asian consumers and merchants.

4. There is no popular use for BTC in China as in America and Europe. Praise the soul that is brave enough to use SR in Asia. Having a package intercepted containing drugs in Asia isn't the same as it is in America/Europe. You will be sentenced to life in prison or death if caught, why make a risk that stupid when there are plenty of trusted domestic markets that are already established? I don't think majority of Chinese vendors will be willing to accept BTC either as it is a scary concept.

5. Government intervention is highly possible and probable, we've seen in the past with Q-coin that the government has and WILL get involved with an online crypto and FORCE compliance. A decentralized currency would just not fly in China, this is equivalent to painting a bullseye on your back. As an investment it is just not safe, and as a currency, it is virtually worthless.

Overall, I feel that the news coverage made by China on BTC is great for BTC overall as it spreads familiarity, but I don't expect to see as strong of a rally or bull market as when the news of BTC spread across American news outlets. The majority of the rally today can be attributed to speculators pumping their money and buying back into the market under the assumption that news in China of BTC will send the price way up.

We can see just as with the cypress news, that the number of people downloading the BTC client in Spain had little effect on price, at least not so much as speculation... How much of the money that shot the price of BTC up came from Spain? Very little. Just keep that in mind.

ronaldlee0917

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:24:09 AM

On the plus side, the daily downloads of the Bitcoin client has jumped to nearly 40k in China, the daily search volume for Bitcoin in Baidu (a popular search engine in China) had jumped to 40k+ yesterday, figures don't tell lie and their relevance is determined by how you interpret them. To me, it is a very positive news and should bring the price up to a while, especially on Tuesday when all the hot money finally arrives after the long long bank holidays in Japan.

Regarding your point 4, I want to add that some merchants in Taobao (the Ebay in China) are already accepting Bitcoins, so it is untrue there is no practical use of Bitcoins in China and to grow the market in China, more tv shows and media coverage like that are necessary, people got to know and learn about Bitcoin before embracing it, the show on CCTV is a good start to kick off this whole process.

Donation:    18zXsfnSvGjQFJ6pEiKMg2uWGcxUCfJLzu
Mastercoin - A new protocol layer built on top of Bitcoin
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:35:15 AM

Effect? The writing is on the wall: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/stats/map?dates=2013-05-04

Yea, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this, but it happened.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:39:16 AM

i think the overall sentiment from Chinese govt. is embracing the bitcoin system. it can only mean more money flowing into their country. we will probably see them being the number one producer/exporter of ASIC technology which means even more incentive for them. i wouldnt doubt if they become the highest percentage of bitcoins hashing power.
ironstove (OP)

Activity: 111

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:43:20 AM

Where do you get the idea that the Chinese government 'embraces' bitcoin?

Is it because CCTV, a state owned media outlet, broadcast a special covering BTC? If that is the case, then I would say it is too early to determine what the government's stance is on BTC, but from every perspective I look at it, the government would be against it.

CCTV's censors might not fully understand BTC and allowed the special to air as the censors are probably told what type of material to censor and cryptocurrency is certainly a new enough topic that the people in charge of broadcast might not have known any better, on the flip side they might fully understand BTC and the government really might have given the go-ahead, but I really doubt this.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:49:04 AM

Effect? The writing is on the wall: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/stats/map?dates=2013-05-04

24k Bitcoin-QT download? WTF?!
oakpacific

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:50:23 AM

24k Bitcoin-QT download? WTF?!

No more than 1.5k daily before the program aired.

Awhut

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:50:48 AM

What happened with Q coin?
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:51:04 AM

Where do you get the idea that the Chinese government 'embraces' bitcoin?

Is it because CCTV, a state owned media outlet, broadcast a special covering BTC? If that is the case, then I would say it is too early to determine what the government's stance is on BTC, but from every perspective I look at it, the government would be against it.

CCTV's censors might not fully understand BTC and allowed the special to air as the censors are probably told what type of material to censor and cryptocurrency is certainly a new enough topic that the people in charge of broadcast might not have known any better, on the flip side they might fully understand BTC and the government really might have given the go-ahead, but I really doubt this.

looks like the govt. has give bitcoin the go ahead

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1dosc3/im_a_chinese_born_us_citizen_heres_what_i_thought/
BitPirate

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:57:30 AM

The CCTV programme is not any sort of official endorsement of Bitcoin. I think China is "wait and see"-ing, just like most other govts around the world. To be honest, the more exposure it gets, the more likely it is that some old grey person in some nook or cranny of the govt will decide to crack down on it.

Nice increase in downloads, but it will likely not have a significant impact on the price. BTC is not new in China among the young/tech-savvy audience.

That said, there is an exciting opportunity to capture the less tech-savvy public. Chinese *like* investing. IME, it's not like in the West, where few people trade stocks directly -- many Chinese from all walks of life are heavily into the stock market, and will lap up the opportunity to participate in a pump.

oakpacific

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:01:14 AM

The CCTV programme is not any sort of official endorsement of Bitcoin. I think China is "wait and see"-ing, just like most other govts around the world. To be honest, the more exposure it gets, the more likely it is that some old grey person in some nook or cranny of the govt will decide to crack down on it.

Nice increase in downloads, but it will likely not have a significant impact on the price. BTC is not new in China among the young/tech-savvy audience.

That said, there is an exciting opportunity to capture the less tech-savvy public. Chinese *like* investing. IME, it's not like in the West, where few people trade stocks directly -- many Chinese from all walks of life are heavily into the stock market, and will lap up the opportunity to participate in a pump.

I am not really interested in the relation between this news and the price, but what long-term effect a growing bitcoin client userbase may have.

Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:14:19 AM

I'll believe the hype when I see btcchina volume budge even slightly. Which it hasn't.

Elon Krusky
xorglub

Activity: 204

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:34:54 AM

I'll believe the hype when I see btcchina volume budge even slightly. Which it hasn't.

It will take time before we see heavy buying. When you first heard about bitcoin I bet your first reaction wasn't "omg this is awesome MUST BUY NOW !!!".

First comes the search volume. Leading very quickly to client downloads. Already materializing.
Then I expect a rise in hasing power as the average chinese newcomer start earning some BTC though mining, the easiest way of acquiring BTC that anyone can do with their existing computer.

Realizing they can only get a few bitcents a day at most with their GPUs, some will head to the exchanges. Small transactions at first, to test the waters.
The whole process will take a while. A few weeks at best, more likely several months.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:58:20 AM

Can't materialize on a WE. Gotta wait for the banks to wire the money.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Ares

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:59:32 AM

Something interesting to note: In the video, when showing graphs, they only showed the rise to 250, not the crash. That would hint they want people to invest
noedaRDH

Activity: 182

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:15:43 AM

Something interesting to note: In the video, when showing graphs, they only showed the rise to 250, not the crash. That would hint they want people to invest
I think later on in the program they mentioned it fell down to a low of 50 in April. Plus that blurb at the end seems very cautionary. However almost everything up until the final 1 to 2 minutes was very fair to Bitcoins and even pro-Bitcoins at some point (which made up the massive bulk of the show).

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:41:01 PM

There is not so hard make a bot downloading any software.
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:41:16 PM

Exactly.

There's no captcha at Sourceforge.

There's two kinds of market manipulation:  financial, and psychological.  23k downloads one day - 1.5k the previous day?  Off of one TV show?  I know there's a lot of people in China, and I know they get seroiusly into their money... but still...

Ockham's Razor.  It's much easier to believe somebody is trying to manipulate market sentiment with a download bot.  Really it is.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:43:41 PM

You guys...

I should buy thousands of tinfoil hats.
underground_

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:47:05 PM

Exactly.

There's no captcha at Sourceforge.

There's two kinds of market manipulation:  financial, and psychological.  23k downloads one day - 1.5k the previous day?  Off of one TV show?  I know there's a lot of people in China, and I know they get seroiusly into their money... but still...

Ockham's Razor.  It's much easier to believe somebody is trying to manipulate market sentiment with a download bot.  Really it is.

It's also easy to believe that a few thousand people dled the client because they thought they could somehow just generate money with their computers. The bitcoin subreddit gets a bunch of posts by people who've just heard about bitcoins and now they want to mine some with their laptops.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: