Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:56:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of effect to expect on price w/ China news?  (Read 3085 times)
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:48:47 PM

It's also easy to believe that a few thousand people dled the client because they thought they could somehow just generate money with their computers. The bitcoin subreddit gets a bunch of posts by people who've just heard about bitcoins and now they want to mine some with their laptops.
Agreed. This is what initially came to mind for me as well. People just thinking easy money: run my computer.

Elon Krusky
underground_

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:50:31 PM

It's also easy to believe that a few thousand people dled the client because they thought they could somehow just generate money with their computers. The bitcoin subreddit gets a bunch of posts by people who've just heard about bitcoins and now they want to mine some with their laptops.
Agreed. This is what initially came to mind for me as well. People just thinking easy money: run my computer.

This post just popped up on reddt. http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1dqs42/is_it_worth_it_to_bitcoin_mine/

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:57:25 PM

This post just popped up on reddt. http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1dqs42/is_it_worth_it_to_bitcoin_mine/

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Seems the right question for a nb to ask. Can't see anything wrong with that. Certainly not an indicator that the TV show has no effect whatsoever.

Chinese are buying up gold like mad so gold is getting scarce. You can get it at $1450 but you won't get any. Seems only rational that some are looking at alternatives.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:01:00 PM

Chinese are buying up gold like mad so gold is getting scarce. You can get it at $1450 but you won't get any. Seems only rational that some are looking at alternatives.
I'm looking at my gold dealer's site right now. I don't see any of what I typically buy sold out. What are you referring to exactly?

Elon Krusky
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:11:07 PM

ya millions of people learning about bitcoins.... ya that will have zero effect on the price .... not a damn thing will change!!!  Roll Eyes
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

ya millions of people learning about bitcoins.... ya that will have zero effect on the price .... not a damn thing will change!!!  Roll Eyes

It will, but not sooner than next month.
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:20:35 PM

Don't the Chinese like Linux?

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:22:33 PM

Stupid bot :-) ? (doing always same HTTP/GET)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:26:07 PM

Perhaps the Linux users self identify as Windows so as to not stand out.  I would do the same if I knew my internet traffic was scrutinized as closely as theirs is.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:27:46 PM

Perhaps the Linux users self identify as Windows so as to not stand out.  I would do the same if I knew my internet traffic was scrutinized as closely as theirs is.

really ? will you run windows version on linux ?
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:28:33 PM

Sure, wine not?  Grin
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:30:57 PM

Sure, wine not?  Grin
:-) (EDIT: Frozenlock make better bot, what will download linux version too)
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:36:54 PM

I don't think this China news will significantly affect the adoption rate or price.   This event reminds me of the Good Wife episode "Bitcoin for Dummies", which aired on January 16th, 2012.  It had a lot of hype leading up to it, but price dropped for months thereafter, and that was when the total daily volume in currency was around $300k USD, not $20M day USD like it is now.

Bitcoin also had front-page articles in WSJ, NYTimes, and most other major news sources during the bubble up, and the price has dropped since then.
underground_

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:42:06 PM

I don't think this China news will significantly affect the adoption rate or price.   This event reminds me of the Good Wife episode "Bitcoin for Dummies", which aired on January 16th, 2012.  It had a lot of hype leading up to it, but price dropped for months thereafter, and that was when the total daily volume in currency was around $300k USD, not $20M day USD like it is now.

Bitcoin also had front-page articles in WSJ, NYTimes, and most other major news sources during the bubble up, and the price has dropped since then.

The same thing happened before the first bitcoin conference.
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:52:02 PM

Effect? The writing is on the wall: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/stats/map?dates=2013-05-04

Yea, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this, but it happened.

There is not so hard make a bot downloading any software.

Exactly.

There's no captcha at Sourceforge.

There's two kinds of market manipulation:  financial, and psychological.  23k downloads one day - 1.5k the previous day?  Off of one TV show?  I know there's a lot of people in China, and I know they get seroiusly into their money... but still...

Ockham's Razor.  It's much easier to believe somebody is trying to manipulate market sentiment with a download bot.  Really it is.

Uhm haha no it isn't.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:52:50 PM

Ockham's Razor.  It's much easier to believe somebody is trying to manipulate market sentiment with a download bot.  Really it is.

occam's razor implies a conspiracy theory? i don't think so.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:55:30 PM

I have the strong feeling the price is gonna rise to about 350. It's my personal assumption based some very basic and noobish TA (thanks Arepo for pointing me to learn).

To stay on the safe side, I'd say 300. And not related to the China effect.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:08:10 PM

I don't see a conspiracy.  I simply state that between two scenarios I find it more likely that market manipulation explains these 23k (now 32k) of downloads.  Market manipulation can't be simply defined as a conspiracy - it's a fact of life in any market.

If all those downloads are one guy with a possibly good (for his bitcoin trading position) idea, that's simple.  If it's 32k individual people - whose OS choice statistics, I note, are rather... ummm... skewed - that's quite complex.  Simplicity wins over complexity.

* shrug *  Give it awhile.  We'll be able to see clients popping up in China any day now, right?  If they do...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
ShroomsKit

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:15:55 PM

Ya, he takes occam's razor and uses it exactly how it shouldn't be used.

What's more likely? A few million people watching an item about Bitcoin and a small % is interested and downloads a Bitcoin client
or
It's a bot.

Occam's razor obviously says the first option.

ShroomsKit

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:17:24 PM

I don't see a conspiracy.  I simply state that between two scenarios I find it more likely that market manipulation explains these 23k (now 32k) of downloads.  Market manipulation can't be simply defined as a conspiracy - it's a fact of life in any market.

If all those downloads are one guy with a possibly good (for his bitcoin trading position) idea, that's simple.  If it's 32k individual people - whose OS choice statistics, I note, are rather... ummm... skewed - that's quite complex.  Simplicity wins over complexity.

* shrug *  Give it awhile.  We'll be able to see clients popping up in China any day now, right?  If they do...

You have a very, very odd way of thinking. No offense.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: