Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:12:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help figuring this out-lost bitcoins?  (Read 653 times)
soapbox_door (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:41:16 PM

I recently checked block explorer for my address and it shows the balance expected and no outgoing transactions. However, the balance on my bitcoin core shows 0.  This change happened when I switched hard-drives some time ago. I tried to restore with a program (not sure , maybe it was pywallet) to no avail.

Can anyone shed some light on this please? Cry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8008

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:43:25 PM

I recently checked block explorer for my address and it shows the balance expected and no outgoing transactions. However, the balance on my bitcoin core shows 0.  This change happened when I switched hard-drives some time ago. I tried to restore with a program (not sure , maybe it was pywallet) to no avail.

Can anyone shed some light on this please? Cry

Did you copy or move your wallet.dat file to the new drive?!
soapbox_door (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 06:06:37 PM

I did, good question.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 06:52:13 PM

I did, good question.
So either u place it in wrong place that bitcoin clien't don't see or you just need to reindex/resync ur core client to be able to see ur bitcoins again.
This or this.
soapbox_door (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 08:46:46 PM

Thanks for the response.  I figure it must be in the right place because it showed the proper address for deposit transaction.  I am currently updating the blockchain for the first time in over a year.  Just to be clear, what location do I put the wallet.dat, what do you mean by "reindex", and how do I know that it is the correct wallet.dat?

Thanks again, Jim
netox

Activity: 230
Merit: 111

Editor no Cointimes

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2017, 10:25:47 PM

Thanks for the response.  I figure it must be in the right place because it showed the proper address for deposit transaction.  I am currently updating the blockchain for the first time in over a year.  Just to be clear, what location do I put the wallet.dat, what do you mean by "reindex", and how do I know that it is the correct wallet.dat?

Thanks again, Jim

If you are using btc core:

Windows: %APPDATA%\Bitcoin\
Linux: ~/.bitcoin/
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/

Some backup recommendations: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 09:34:06 PM

what do you mean by "reindex", and how do I know that it is the correct wallet.dat?

There are two useful options you can add onto the command line as a startup parameter.

-rescan
Cross references all the addresses in your wallet with the block chain and adds missing transactions syncing (balance) with your wallet.dat.

-reindex
Rebuild the chain state and block index, syncing bitcoin core with the network.

If you see your old addresses in the software then you have the correct wallet.   Stop and manually start bitcoin core with both options, wait some more, and ideally to return to normal operations.

soapbox_door (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:04:05 PM

I am currently doing a rescan /reindex. While blockchain.info shows a balance, what concerns me is that the wallet.dat file I had backed up and am using on the new machine has a "last modified" date that is prior to the receiving transactions that established my balance.  Is this normal?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: