Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So confused.. Asus RX 480 8Gb  (Read 818 times)
drak24 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 02:54:00 AM

So I'm running two Asus rx 480 8gb samsung memory cards and I'm trying to get them up to 29+ speeds for mining. I'm currently dual mining ETH and SIA but both cards are giving me at most 24Mh/s. So after going through many threads on here I thought I finally had it down. I did the following:

- Downgraded my drivers to 16.9.2
- Backed up my bios for both cards
- Downloaded a modded bios for my cards I saw posted in one of the threads
- Flashed both cards/rebooted
- Left MSI afterburner on default and tested the hashrate, saw no difference from the 24Mh/s max I've been seeing.
- Used afterburner and pushed the the memory clock, went all the way to 2250 and just ended up with a crash (on all tries at 2250). Also messed around with the clock and voltage, saw no change in gains.
- Some of my windows were acting wonky, transparent and took a while to load so I decided to revert back to the original bios.
- ATIWinFlash had my main card listed correctly and the 2nd card listed as AMD Polaris 10 even though the cards showed correctly in other parts of windows.
- Flashed back to the original bios and things are back to how they were.

So I'm back at ground zero. The name of the rom I loaded was "asusRX480strix8g_ubermix". I've been searching through thread after thread for the past few days and haven't been able to find an answer so if anyone can assist, I'd appreciate it.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 02:59:16 AM

The only thing I've found that actually gives some noticeable increase in hashrate is to adjust the memory timings in the vbios.

I have the same problem as you with some RX580s. Unfortunately I can only use the 1750 timing there so they cap out at 27Mh/s with 2150 mem clock. But it makes no difference even at 2000 mem clock the hashrate is the same.

Grab polaris and modify the original vbios yourself, no reason to download random roms from the net.

drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 04:02:04 AM

I would but now even more weird, the 2nd video card won't change from 300mhz memory clock. like it's stuck. It was working fine and actually started doing 26mh/s just now then the pc crashed, since it's been back up, nothing but stuck at 300. Tried reinstalling the drivers but no dice. Gonna try reflashing it again to see if that fixes it.
senseless

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 04:15:33 AM

I would but now even more weird, the 2nd video card won't change from 300mhz memory clock. like it's stuck. It was working fine and actually started doing 26mh/s just now then the pc crashed, since it's been back up, nothing but stuck at 300. Tried reinstalling the drivers but no dice. Gonna try reflashing it again to see if that fixes it.

That happens when memory overclock fails. You need to manually modify the bios because every card is different. Maybe one card will be fine at 2150mhz mem freq and another will crash at anything over 2000mhz.

drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 04:45:43 AM

The only thing I've found that actually gives some noticeable increase in hashrate is to adjust the memory timings in the vbios.

I have the same problem as you with some RX580s. Unfortunately I can only use the 1750 timing there so they cap out at 27Mh/s with 2150 mem clock. But it makes no difference even at 2000 mem clock the hashrate is the same.

Grab polaris and modify the original vbios yourself, no reason to download random roms from the net.

Thanks for the insight, I guess I'll have to sit down one day and really go through the process of how to find what works manually myself. I was expecting for things to work with minor tweaks as far as using a custom bios from the same model card but obviously today I see that's not the case. With both of my RX 480s dual mining, i'm back to getting 49Mh/s on ETH and 1479Mh/s on SIA. Goal is to be able to get to at least 55Mh on ETH while dual mining.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:32:13 AM

Are you using Claymore's Dual miner?  What is your intensity set at for Sia?  I had to drop my -dcri to 12 to get back to good Eth hashrates.  On my Gigabyte Aorus RX 580, I'm at 29MH/s for Eth and 350MH/s for Sia.

senseless

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 08:16:58 AM

Are you using Claymore's Dual miner?  What is your intensity set at for Sia?  I had to drop my -dcri to 12 to get back to good Eth hashrates.  On my Gigabyte Aorus RX 580, I'm at 29MH/s for Eth and 350MH/s for Sia.

Is that with 1500 timings? I can only manage to get 27/600 eth/sc from my gigabyte RX580. They'll only run with the 1750 timings, crashes with the 1500. Dropping SC intensity does not take it any higher.

Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2017, 10:14:17 AM

You need performace timings for true performance... Guide in my signature.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 03:37:08 PM

Are you using Claymore's Dual miner?  What is your intensity set at for Sia?  I had to drop my -dcri to 12 to get back to good Eth hashrates.  On my Gigabyte Aorus RX 580, I'm at 29MH/s for Eth and 350MH/s for Sia.

Yea I'm using Claymore, haven't used the -dcri command in my bat file though, should I?
drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 03:43:44 PM

You need performace timings for true performance... Guide in my signature.

I'll check it out, thanks.
drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 04:00:04 PM

Changed the -dcri on SIA and now I'm getting 51-52Mh/s on ETH (23+27) and around 723Mh/s on SIA. Now the debate will be is the extra 4-8Mh/s worth it profit wise for ETH vs the higher hash rate of SIA.
drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:08:46 PM

So I'm convinced that temperature is the reason why my OC keeps crashing, my cards get over 80 degrees when giving me my best hashrates then they lockup and crash. My cpu is liquid cooled and I have 7 fans in my case. Any ideas about fixing that so I can keep my higher hashrates without the high temps?
puwaha

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:28:19 PM

Are you using Claymore's Dual miner?  What is your intensity set at for Sia?  I had to drop my -dcri to 12 to get back to good Eth hashrates.  On my Gigabyte Aorus RX 580, I'm at 29MH/s for Eth and 350MH/s for Sia.

Is that with 1500 timings? I can only manage to get 27/600 eth/sc from my gigabyte RX580. They'll only run with the 1750 timings, crashes with the 1500. Dropping SC intensity does not take it any higher.

Yes, I used 1750 timings on the memory, that is the standard way to do memory timings on 480/580s.  I tried the Ubermix timings on my 580, but it was completely unstable.  I also drop core clock to 1125, and adjust mem clock as high as it will go without getting memory errors in hwinfo.  I burn them in for 10-15 mins before committing that to a ROM and flashing.  Each card will have different ASIC and memory qualities about them, and you really have to dial in the memory clock so that you don't get memory errors.  I don't do anything exotic, but I do drop the gpu voltage 50 75 mV to save watts.

puwaha

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:34:15 PM

Changed the -dcri on SIA and now I'm getting 51-52Mh/s on ETH (23+27) and around 723Mh/s on SIA. Now the debate will be is the extra 4-8Mh/s worth it profit wise for ETH vs the higher hash rate of SIA.

You can fine tune your -dcri settings while claymore is running.  You hit the + or - key on your keyboard and it will adjust... watch it for a few minutes and decide if you want to up or down again.  I think the default is 30 out of 100 if you don't specify anything in your command line/batch file.

In my opinon, getting a better rate on Eth is the goal... with whatever rate you get dual mining sia to be the gravy.
drak24 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:54:41 PM

Thanks so much for that, info I didn't know after spending days going through threads lol. Just trying to wrap my head around everything. So I'm good on everything except dealing with directly editing the bios file I saved and optimizing it before flashing, gonna see if i can find a youtube video on that for a walkthrough because if I"m not mistaken it uses hex for the fields.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: