Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:21:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 interesting replies found at mtgox website about the rolling back  (Read 5980 times)
qikaifu (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:34:41 PM

Jun-20 2011 04:42.

Why should everyone who profited from the crash suffer your inablitiy to secure the site?

Anyone who owns shouldn't have 500K in his Mt Gox account anyway (and make sure no one gets his/her password).

So, everyone who got cheap bitcoins today will have them reversed??? THAT is stealing!

Please give a statement to that!!!
----------------

Jun-20 2011 04:27.

I also don't see how you can rollback transactions without losses. I had a trade that executed as the market dropped, shortly after I got spooked and withdrew my BTC (less then 100 more then 10) to my wallet. That BTC is now in my wallet confirmed. How can you possibly roll that back?
------------

I don't think you're realizing what a disaster this is. You won't be able to rollback all the transactions because substantial amounts of Bitcoins have been withdrawn, and you can't just declare a price of $17.5 or reinstate people's orders to achieve that price because circumstances have changed. I would object strongly if my prior order is reinstated without giving me a chance to review the current, rather than past, conditions. What of people who both bought and sold after the hack?

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:37:22 PM

Jun-20 2011 04:42.

Why should everyone who profited from the crash suffer your inablitiy to secure the site?

Anyone who owns shouldn't have 500K in his Mt Gox account anyway (and make sure no one gets his/her password).

So, everyone who got cheap bitcoins today will have them reversed??? THAT is stealing!

Please give a statement to that!!!
----------------

Jun-20 2011 04:27.

I also don't see how you can rollback transactions without losses. I had a trade that executed as the market dropped, shortly after I got spooked and withdrew my BTC (less then 100 more then 10) to my wallet. That BTC is now in my wallet confirmed. How can you possibly roll that back?
------------

I don't think you're realizing what a disaster this is. You won't be able to rollback all the transactions because substantial amounts of Bitcoins have been withdrawn, and you can't just declare a price of $17.5 or reinstate people's orders to achieve that price because circumstances have changed. I would object strongly if my prior order is reinstated without giving me a chance to review the current, rather than past, conditions. What of people who both bought and sold after the hack?

DON'T WORRY GUYS, MT. GOX HAS GOT THIS.
Durr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:39:23 PM

MTGOX IS NOW NAKED SHORT ON BITCOINS. IT DOES NOT HAVE THE BITCOINS IT SAYS IT DOES

THEY ARE MANIPULATING THE MARKET BY NOW SETTING THE PRICE TO 17.51
shakaru

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:39:55 PM

I agree. Im begining to think I might have some serious problems on my hands now.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:42:26 PM

It's those replies on their site and a few others that led me to post this...

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=19587.0

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:45:07 PM

If you withdrew, they will rollback and subtract what you withdrew. If you withdrew more than you had before the rollback, they may have to just cover the losses. They've made enough to. I just hope they don't decide the losses are to much and restarting isn't worth it since they lost everyone's trust and disappear.

Perhaps they will put your account negative and require you to return the funds to continue trading.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:47:11 PM

I'll bet a bitcoin they will leave that message up for several days, give a few rounds of excuses, and their site will disappear by next week.

Any takers?

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:48:34 PM

MTGOX IS NOW NAKED SHORT ON BITCOINS. IT DOES NOT HAVE THE BITCOINS IT SAYS IT DOES

but how do you know this?
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:52:09 PM

I really hope they'll not reinstantiate all the standing orders without giving a chance to review them against current conditions (in particular the current price at other exchanges).
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:54:07 PM

The number of coins that actually left MtGox is small and limited, so while those may be lost for good, the vast majority of the big theft are still with them, and reversing their trades will repair most of the damage. Perhapt Mt. Gox will personally compensate the remaining amount from their own wallets?  

I think it's good this is happening while bitcoins is still so new and "fledgling." It's still in Beta. Anyone who didn't expect crazy stuff like this was naive, but the Bitcoin will emerge stronger. Stronger exchanges, stronger passwords, and lots of new information.

The market will heal.
Waldschrat

Activity: 164

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:55:33 PM

I'll bet a bitcoin they will leave that message up for several days, give a few rounds of excuses, and their site will disappear by next week.

You're on! Smiley

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:57:01 PM

It shouldn't be rolled back.  MtGox needs to cover the losses of the guy who was hacked, and that should be it.
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:57:17 PM

Any takers?

If that happens we will send Atlas after him.
Synaptic

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:58:29 PM

The number of coins that actually left MtGox is small and limited, so while those may be lost for good, the vast majority of the big theft are still with them, and reversing their trades will repair most of the damage. Perhapt Mt. Gox will personally compensate the remaining amount from their own wallets?  

I think it's good this is happening while bitcoins is still so new and "fledgling." It's still in Beta. Anyone who didn't expect crazy stuff like this was naive, but the Bitcoin will emerge stronger. Stronger exchanges, stronger passwords, and lots of new information.

The market will heal.

The SPECULATOR (pump and dump) market will heal.

The LEGITIMATE vendor/consumer market will not.

Bitcoin grabbed the spotlight too early if it wasn't ready for prime-time.

Cause it got major fucking prime-time attention, and a whole hell of a lot more is coming next week, bet your bottom bitcoin (which is probably quite worthless at this point) on it.

BTC as anything but an "investors" circle-jerk and criminal paypal is gone, probably for good.  Maybe in another year or two BTC might have a chance at being a legit e-currency, but it's doubtful...
qikaifu (OP)

Activity: 168

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:59:22 PM

The market will heal.

very soon, there will no exchange named mtgox

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec
Durr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:01:11 PM

but how do you know this?

I know this because people have withdrawn bitcoins from MtGox to their personal wallets (look around people said this on this forum).

This means MtGox no longer has the Bitcoin it's supposed to have.

MtGox should not rollback, but instead continue and refund the hacked accounts who lost bitcoins.

If they rollback they should be put in jail for breaking the law. This is not how exchanges are allowed to function by law.
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:04:22 PM

Even if Mtgox lost a large number of bitcoins, they can temporarily work like a fractional reserve bank until they recoup all the accounts with the 0.65% fee.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
passerby

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:07:01 PM

It shouldn't be rolled back.  MtGox needs to cover the losses of the guy who was hacked, and that should be it.

Excuse me, did he get hacked because he cannot into passwords and used something like "johnqwerty" as his pw, or because MtGox got exploited?
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:07:39 PM

I think the rollback it necessary and fine. Mt Gox might just have to take losses from people who withdrew. I'm sure not all that many did.
Synaptic

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:09:12 PM

Even if Mtgox lost a large number of bitcoins, they can temporarily work like a fractional reserve bank until they recoup all the accounts with the 0.65% fee.

Gosh, it's like a bitcoiners dream!

"Chargebacks"

Fractional Reserves

Everything we stand for as a community!

Yee Haw cowboys.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: