Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:10:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solving the Problem of Agent Provacateurs  (Read 3049 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 01:55:46 PM

Can we introduce a verification system for the forum? Voluntary of course.
Even assuming for the sake of discussion that such a thing is desirable, I don't think there's any kind of verification system that would be convenient enough for the masses, yet robust enough that it can't be spoofed by an agent provocateur.

How about a e-mail verification to a bank account with your name on it, along with a credit card or driver's license?

At least, once it was verified, you could not really sign up again with another alias, right?
That would be very difficult I would assume, but if people were willing to do it voluntarily, we would at least know for sure who we could trust, right?

Or who we could at least have some more confidence in, initially, correct? or no?

Looks like someone isn't ready to play with the big kids.  Go back to the sandbox until you can walk. 

The fact you'd suggest tying forum accounts to meatspace identities reveals you are either an agent or completely out of touch with bitcoin users.  Either way, I will not be trusting or even reading anything you say beyond this.

An "ignore" button would sometimes be nice.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 01:56:07 PM

There is only one solution that will work in any situation to solve the problem of infiltrants/provocateurs. It will work, regardless of the hierarchy of a forum, even regardless of the used communication medium. It will work regardless of whatever factor may influence the environment you are using to communicate. The best thing is it won't cause any technical issues or restrictions, and keeps everything accessible for everyone.

It's called individual common sense.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:43:02 PM

Can we introduce a verification system for the forum? Voluntary of course.
Even assuming for the sake of discussion that such a thing is desirable, I don't think there's any kind of verification system that would be convenient enough for the masses, yet robust enough that it can't be spoofed by an agent provocateur.

How about a e-mail verification to a bank account with your name on it, along with a credit card or driver's license?

At least, once it was verified, you could not really sign up again with another alias, right?
That would be very difficult I would assume, but if people were willing to do it voluntarily, we would at least know for sure who we could trust, right?

Or who we could at least have some more confidence in, initially, correct? or no?

Mr. bitrebel, your hyperactivity in this issue makes people think that you're yourself 'Agent Provacateur'. If you're going to tie bitcoin user's identities with bank accounts the net result would be exact opposite you are supposed to fight for. Bitcoin is mostly about anonymity, isn't it?

I never would suggest tying a bitcoin users name to a bank account. I stated the idea to tie the bitcoin forum users name to an id and bank account. That's completely different. Some sites online do this, for the forum members to have greater trust in each other. The forum owners and admin mods are the only ones who would the forum users identity.

They don't have to have access to the account, even, just drop a deposit in of a few cents to have the account verified. Then, the people would know and the person would know, that they cannot just post junk on here without any direct responsibility, should it be a false flag.

If you don't think it's a good idea, you can simply state that, and the reasons why. I don't understand why people love to attack others and be mean just because they can. Maybe some of you don;t want anyone to know who you are, but others here would appreciate knowing they could have just a little confidence and trust with their other forum members.

The only thing that would have to be avoided, is using the same wallet on here that you would in the internet jungle out there. That way people couldn't know who you really were, should they drop funds into your bitcoin wallet.

Is it that bad of an idea?

The alternative is to have any kind of person say anything wild about bitcoins, and immediately the whole world is going to pick it up as a news story, and nobody on the forum will ever have any control over what is being stated by anonymous people.

Rumors will persist of hack attacks, thefts, and unapproved transfers. Exchanges will be blamed, random users of hackers on the forums, misleading posts that are untrustworthy

We can have it either way, but I fear the rumors and hit pieces will only get worse and worse, until nobody trusts anything on the forum spoken by anyone else.

I may be slightly paranoid, but I'm just a microcosm of the consciousness on these boards. I'm not the only one who feels this way, i'm sure.

We may differ in the approach that we should all take to deal with this, but we can at least discuss it peacefully.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:54:19 PM

The alternative is to have any kind of person say anything wild about bitcoins, and immediately the whole world is going to pick it up as a news story, and nobody on the forum will ever have any control over what is being stated by anonymous people.

Oh god!  You mean people on the internet can say whatever they want, and we can't stop them!? And it's done anonymously so we can't track them down and kick their door in?!? The horror!  What is this world coming to?
Jaagu

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:36:43 PM

I never would suggest tying a bitcoin users name to a bank account. I stated the idea to tie the bitcoin forum users name to an ID and bank account. That's completely different.
No, it's not.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: