Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:22:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or Altcoin?  (Read 4251 times)
mamaita

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:10:19 PM

I don't think bitcoin will crash just because some investors are switching from bitcoins to altcoins, probably some of the investors invested on altcoins too but their major investment I'm sure would be bitcoin. They would know that for sure. And at the end of the day, they would still prefer bitcoin over altcoins.

It seems that investors do prefer bitcoin as a place to invest instead of altcoin which is mostly the number of coins that many all and sometimes there are infinite, so that's why bitcoin remains the first choice of status is clear and the amount is limited
mrfreezeh

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:19:39 PM

I think Altcoins follow Bitcoin and can't replace Bitcoin, why? Because all value the price of Altcoin are calculated to Bitcoin
Bitcoin is the fisrt and have a big history in Cryptocurrencies, but I think ETH can compete Bitcoin in future about number one in the ranking Crypto Grin
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:34:38 PM

I love it when people start posting some "facts" without any sources to back that claim. I didn't hear about any investor switching completely to some alt-coin, so I too would love it if you can present some source for your claim.

it's ridiculous as it sounds, something like that will not happen any time soon or hardly will in the future. Bitcoin is just too strong and too widespread for something like that to happen.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
giantrobot

Activity: 564
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:36:29 PM

While Bitcoin there are a few scaling options, it appears that a number of Bitcoin investors have been switching to Altcoins, and may not switch back to Bitcoins any time soon .
What will happen if investors continuously switch to altcoins? Will bitcoin crash ?
Do not worry, because that will never happen, bitcoin always dominates the market, its advantages can make it continue to be the strongest penny, it always leads the way for other coins.
masterchief001

Activity: 585
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:40:36 PM

While Bitcoin there are a few scaling options, it appears that a number of Bitcoin investors have been switching to Altcoins, and may not switch back to Bitcoins any time soon .
What will happen if investors continuously switch to altcoins? Will bitcoin crash ?

Bitcoin will never collapse, many governments have accepted bitcoin, and they certainly will not let that happen. Do not worry about it. Altcoin is also a bitcoin analog, and it can also be profitable.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:52:00 PM

I do not think that bitcoin will crash.  If ever then every cryptocurrency will crash also because all its value are depending or based on bitcoin.  It is close to impossible that people would switch or stay with altcoin.  Bitcoin is proven and recognized now as a legit digital currency.  Considering that there are new altcoins emerging, the tendency is there are many scam of it.
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:04:55 PM

I do not think that bitcoin will crash.  If ever then every cryptocurrency will crash also because all its value are depending or based on bitcoin.  It is close to impossible that people would switch or stay with altcoin.  Bitcoin is proven and recognized now as a legit digital currency.  Considering that there are new altcoins emerging, the tendency is there are many scam of it.
Are you sure about that? Perhaps your confidence is based on the fact that bitcoin is growing in value and at the moment the demand for bitcoins grows. It's good, but who knows how long this situation can continue? Any currency without an economy cannot exist. You see the economy of bitcoin? I do not see, and therefore can not exclude the fact that bitcoin is a pyramid and all pyramids collapse.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:10:15 PM

Are you sure about that? Perhaps your confidence is based on the fact that bitcoin is growing in value and at the moment the demand for bitcoins grows. It's good, but who knows how long this situation can continue? Any currency without an economy cannot exist. You see the economy of bitcoin? I do not see, and therefore can not exclude the fact that bitcoin is a pyramid and all pyramids collapse.

If that is the scenario then all altcoins will have the same fate including the one you advertising.

Didn't you know that while bitcoin is having a good support continously in the market, that's the thing that making it as a strong. Bitcoin crash is possible but today I can't see it and I will only giving 0.5% for that to happened.

Can you tell me what are some of the reasons that will make bitcoin crash according to your own "analytics"? We might discussed those along with other people in the community. Let me be your guest here.
nightxglow

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:56:59 PM

Alt coin provide more opportunity for those who missed out bitcoin early day. I myself gain more in altcoin. The fact that a lot of alt is still cheap and has room for growth makes people going for alt. Bitcoin is already more than $2500, maybe reach $3500 at the end of the year, that's less than 2x your investment. You can get higher number in alt.

█████████████████████████████
██████▀ ▀███████████▀ ▀██████
████▀ ▄█▄ ▀███████▀ ▄█▄ ▀████
███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███
█████▄ ▀████▄ ▀ ▄████▀ ▄█████
███████▄ ▀████▄ ▀██▀ ▄███████
█████████  █████ ████████████
███████▀ ▄████▀ ▄██▄ ▀███████
█████▀ ▄████▀ ▄ ▀████▄ ▀█████
███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███
████▄ ▀█▀ ▄███████▄ ▀█▀ ▄████
██████▄ ▄███████████▄ ▄██████
..XIRCUS..                       ▄████▄
    ▄███▄              ██████
    █████             ▀████▀
     ▀▀▀ ▀▄         ▄▀
           ▄█████▄
           █████████
           █████████
           ▀█████▀
         ▄▀    █    ▀▄ ▄▄
       ▄▀      █      ████
▄████▄     ▄█████▄   ▀██▀
██████      ███████
 ▀▀▀▀       ▀█████▀
||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 05:22:28 PM

Anyways, multiple problems Bitcoin has should be fixed soon with updates like Segwit, ETC!

The problems with Bitcoin will remain for the near future. There is still no consensus between the users and the miners, and proposals such as SegWit is not supported by a large section of the miners. Either Bitcoin will grow despite these issues, or it will die a natural death.

I'm curious about the natural death part

Would Bitcoin turn into a shit coin? That's unlikely, so how do you fancy that, in practice? Regarding the questions raised in the OP, I think this is quite possible, really. In fact, this is what I think myself. If the issues that Bitcoin faces today are not resolved in a more or less peaceful way (as far as it can be possible at all), Bitcoin may suffer badly, and people will start dumping it either for fiat (for good or at least until the dust settles) or for major altcoins. I don't know about Ethereum, but if Litecoin gets enough money invested in it, it may well take Bitcoin's place

olushakes

Activity: 476
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM

People are not switching to altcoin to keep their wealth there, they are there to make the profit of the fact that its just developing then convert into bitcoin in due time. So, its just a part time shift which any rational investor would do by going there to make a 260% increase for holding for few days which cannot happen in bitcoin but will just sell then keep in bitcoin because that alt coin that increase at that rate may dip at a further rate.
Himanshu111

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:38:49 PM

I would say that you should go for diversification of your wealth so that you can keep your principal amount safe as well as can earn good profits. Invest 50 percent in Bitcoins and invest 50 percent in altcoins like ethereum and monero.
onyek16M

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:39:41 PM

no , this is wrong thing.. altcoin is help bitcoin to more famous. altcoin without bitcoin is not meaning
bitcoin is always excistence

██████▀ ▀███████████▀ ▀██████
████▀ ▄█▄ ▀███████▀ ▄█▄ ▀████
███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███
█████▄ ▀████▄ ▀ ▄████▀ ▄█████
███████▄ ▀████▄ ▀██▀ ▄███████
█████████  █████ ████████████
███████▀ ▄████▀ ▄██▄ ▀███████
█████▀ ▄████▀ ▄ ▀████▄ ▀█████
███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███
████▄ ▀█▀ ▄███████▄ ▀█▀ ▄████
██████▄ ▄███████████▄ ▄██████
..XIRCUS..                       ▄████▄
    ▄███▄              ██████
    █████             ▀████▀
     ▀▀▀ ▀▄         ▄▀
           ▄█████▄
           █████████
           █████████
           ▀█████▀
         ▄▀    █    ▀▄ ▄▄
       ▄▀      █      ████
▄████▄     ▄█████▄   ▀██▀
██████      ███████
 ▀▀▀▀       ▀█████▀
||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
bitbob82

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:59:28 PM

yes no doubt about that, bitcoin is not going to crash. bitcoin is becoming more popular because the number of bitcoin users are increasing continuously, which is making bitcoin stronger, in future bitcoin will become more stronger.
dissident

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:18:22 PM

The bitcoin purists are incredibly short sighted. Ethereum will likely knock bitcoin out of the number one spot within a month or two.  If NEM gets their Mijin/Catapult rolling, bitcoin won't hold a candle in raw transactions per second and transaction fees. This bitcoin superiority complex and overconfidence could be bitcoin's undoing in time.  Other coins are quickly trying to develop the tech to bring the scalability and services businesses need to reality. Innovation and change are a constant in life. Adapt or die.

I respect bitcoin, I hold a bunch of bitcoin, but the fact of the matter is that these altcoins are not just some scams with inferior code that will never amount to anything. (well, maybe 95% of them are, leaving about 30-40 good projects out of the 700+ coins out there)

Altcoin purists are shortsighted because BTC is still the golden key. Without a rise in the price of bitcoin, your precious altcoins wouldn't be going anywhere. Both feed into each other.  Until exchanges can trade any currency with any currency directly, BTC will remain the golden key.  You only pay a transaction fee when you have to move money around from exchange to exchange anyways.  Bitcoin is not going to be widely adopted by any business at this point with the fees though.. if we want cryptos to be used to pay for say an ebay auction or used at amazon, we'll have to come up with a solution that has much faster confirmation times with much lower fees.

It's in everyone's best interest to get to that outcome. (Hurry up NEM with that mijin)

Also, I believe proof of work is going to fall by the wayside eventually. The coin on top in 3 years won't be proof of work based, or at least not 100% proof of work, that's my prediction. A blend of the two where the proof of stake has the fast block times seems to work nicely. If we could have blockchain trim technology which Pascal is promising, that would be really big. Child chains have promise, but to me seem like more of a gimmick to just have more coin ICOs at this point.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:08:44 PM

Anyways, multiple problems Bitcoin has should be fixed soon with updates like Segwit, ETC!

The problems with Bitcoin will remain for the near future. There is still no consensus between the users and the miners, and proposals such as SegWit is not supported by a large section of the miners. Either Bitcoin will grow despite these issues, or it will die a natural death.

I'm curious about the natural death part

Would Bitcoin turn into a shit coin? That's unlikely, so how do you fancy that, in practice? Regarding the questions raised in the OP, I think this is quite possible, really. In fact, this is what I think myself. If the issues that Bitcoin faces today are not resolved in a more or less peaceful way (as far as it can be possible at all), Bitcoin may suffer badly, and people will start dumping it either for fiat (for good or at least until the dust settles) or for major altcoins. I don't know about Ethereum, but if Litecoin gets enough money invested in it, it may well take Bitcoin's place

I don't think that the current issues can be resolved in a "peaceful" way (i.e with consensus). So I assume that in the future there will be ugly quarrels. And something similar to what happened with Ethereum earlier (the emergence of Ethereum Classic) can occur with BTC as well. There can be a split. This is going to result in complete chaos and the alts can benefit out of it.
Drnice

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

I think Altcoins follow Bitcoin and can't replace Bitcoin, why? Because all value the price of Altcoin are calculated to Bitcoin

That is true, just like the USD which is used to get a total sum for every other currency which is generally accepted in every country as a standard for all international business and transactions.

Bitcoin is the fisrt and have a big history in Cryptocurrencies, but I think ETH can compete Bitcoin in future about number one in the ranking Crypto Grin

Even ETH which is close in rank to Bitcoin will find it difficult to overtake Bitcoin in crypto marketing-system,...
Drnice

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:27:47 PM

That is true, just like the USD which is used to get a total sum for every other currency which is generally accepted in every country as a standard for all international business and transactions.

Even ETH which is close in rank to Bitcoin will find it difficult to overtake Bitcoin in crypto marketing-system,...
jonpande

Activity: 323

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:28:20 PM

Bitcoin and altcoin cannot be separated. in 2011 we know the price of the bitcoin had fallen in price $230 1 BTC. but as the number of coins new and competing projects are popping up in blockchain technology development (ICO). This makes the bitcoin strengthened back up now ...so  Smiley
Shenzou

Activity: 1400
Merit: 283

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:03:13 PM

Altcoins are very important to the cryptocurrency  world, espacially lately sunce bitcoin transactions has become very slower and have more fees into them, apart from the price some popular cryptocurencies provide or claim they have better features than bitcoin, and i see that people are starting to invest in them, so we may seee them rise in the near future.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: