Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:39:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros and cons of buying Amazon gift cards?  (Read 3185 times)
tclo (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:36:02 PM

Can someone tell me about buying Amazon GC on here with BTC?   I love the idea and would even pay 100% face value for them with BTC, but I've heard some people say that some of them are stolen and also there is no way for the seller to verify that the code works beforehand.

If anyone has had good and bad experiences with buying them, please let me know and maybe some sellers can commetn as well.  I want to like the idea and I want to try it but just a little nervous. Thanks.
Projects

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:42:33 PM

I regularly purchase Amazon GC and have purchased well into the thousands of dollars in GCs and touch wood have never had a problem.
That is because I stick to two rules.

1) Always established members and/or proof of purchase
and
2) Always receive the GC first, apply it to my account; and once I have verified the funds have been added to my account then send the BTC.

I trade regularly with a circle of people and so far have never had a bad experience.

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
richiela

Activity: 937
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:06:35 AM

Or you can go give our service a shot http://www.giftcardbtc.com ... Smiley

We usually have a 6% or so difference between mtgox bid/ask, to cover our risk and market costs, but its fast reliable and easy.

Looking for the best exchange? -> https://bittrex.com
austin

Activity: 584

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:31:40 AM

I've sold amazon gift codes to Projects without problems. I sent first because he seemed trustworthy. Escrow doesn't really work in this case because, as far as I know, you can't verify how much a code is worth without applying it to your account. If you're selling and have to send first, make sure it's a trusted person.
tclo (OP)

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:14:40 AM

I regularly purchase Amazon GC and have purchased well into the thousands of dollars in GCs and touch wood have never had a problem.

and
2) Always receive the GC first, apply it to my account; and once I have verified the funds have been added to my account then send the BTC.

I trade regularly with a circle of people and so far have never had a bad experience.

Ok I guess you are right and there's not any risk if you have them send you the card first.  However what if it is stolen goods ?  Does Amazon ever remove the GC credit if it was purchased with stolen CC or is that not a possible factor? 
Projects

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:47:40 AM

and

Ok I guess you are right and there's not any risk if you have them send you the card first.  However what if it is stolen goods ?  Does Amazon ever remove the GC credit if it was purchased with stolen CC or is that not a possible factor? 

Hasnt happened to me either because Amazon take the loss (but not likely) or just the fact I have been very careful who I do business with.

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 10:19:04 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 12:42:47 AM by TheButterZone

You can ask Amazon to reverse a gift code, which is why I don't accept them.

I'll buy you a $5 one if you want to pay spot BTC for it.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4111

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:22:05 PM

I have sent many amazon.com gift codes and still am today, I always allow escrow, so when buying always use escrow, release the funds when you have applied the gift code to your account.
bdub

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:00:11 PM

I've sold BTCs and BTC-e coupon codes for Amazon GCs but only with people I trusted.  I tend to trust the physical cards more than the digital codes, but I don't think those are a sure thing either.  Here is the text directly from the Amazon gift card email that worries me (only if trading with untrusted):

4. Fraud.
Amazon.com will have the right to close customer accounts and
bill alternative forms of payment if a fraudulently obtained
Amazon.com Gift Card is redeemed and/or used to make purchases
on amazon.com or any of its affiliated websites set forth above.

So, basically the recipient is liable if the sender does a charge-back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: