Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:18:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I check my balance on hardware wallet such as Trezor or Ledger?  (Read 1844 times)
popcornBlastoise (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:46:33 PM

Some questions regarding how these hardware wallets work:

1. Is there a way to check the balance of a public address, so that I can look at my balance without having to plug these hardware wallets into a USB?

2. If no, can I look at the balance if I plug into the USB of an offline computer?

Thanks for the help! Mainly wanted to better understand how secure these hardware wallets are compared to paper wallets.
aadje93

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:00:08 PM

Afaik i know all hardware wallets have a normal wallet addy so you can check the balance on blockchain for example or on the websitw from the hardware wallets.

popcornBlastoise (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:14:25 PM

Thanks! Didn't know about sites like blockchain.info and https://etherchain.org/

Just to make sure I understand correctly, does this mean each cryptocurrency has its own blockchain, and so each one would have some website that lets you look up the public address and see the balance for that specific cyptocurrency?
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:53:41 PM

Just to make sure I understand correctly, does this mean each cryptocurrency has its own blockchain, and so each one would have some website that lets you look up the public address and see the balance for that specific cyptocurrency?

Yes, or you can download full client and check it yourself (dont need website then).
This blockchains are with diffirent rules so you can't send BTC to LTC address.
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:03:44 PM

Some questions regarding how these hardware wallets work:

1. Is there a way to check the balance of a public address, so that I can look at my balance without having to plug these hardware wallets into a USB?

2. If no, can I look at the balance if I plug into the USB of an offline computer?

Thanks for the help! Mainly wanted to better understand how secure these hardware wallets are compared to paper wallets.

There is another very easy and fast method for "long term" monitoring of activity without risking private keys.  I use Trezors and Electrum for the record.  I simply open my Trezor and generate the MPK (master public key) for the wallet.  Now you can use the MPK in Electrum and quickly and easily monitor your wallet contents with NO danger of a private key being leaked or stolen by malware.  You don't even need to have your Trezor around for monitoring a wallet using MPKs and Electrum.  The MPK won't ever change and Electrum calls such a wallet a "watching only wallet".   Safe, fast, sure fire.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 03:02:22 AM

Thanks! Didn't know about sites like blockchain.info and https://etherchain.org/

The blockchain is a public log of all transactions.    There will be multiple sites available to access the balance of any address, including some mobile apps you can load public address into as monitor only to get balance and activity notifications, while still keeping your keys secure.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: