Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 10:12:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to pick a doomed Altcoin [hint pick FTC, CNC, TRC, BitBar, RUC]  (Read 3989 times)
mem (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:40:58 AM

Obligatory "hey what about Devcoin, it's an awesome altchain" comment.

Also, every time someone defends Bitbar by declaring it didn't premine, I die of laughter. Kills me every time.

hehe devcoin, where 80% of mined coins go to the devs to support them adding new features.
has this actually worked, did the devs do any serious innovations on top of the bitcoin protocol ?

Thanks OP for the tips...but I'm curious about your thoughts on FRC?

Im not familiar enough with it to comment honestly.
5% coin decay PA doesn't seem like a way to encourage adoption, BUT it is someone new so it should live or die depending on the ideas merits. Solidcoin did something similar but gave the taxed coins back to the creator, I think sending to the miners is a better option.

I can see big vendors being reluctant to adopt it, they are already taxed by their government, I dont think anyone would volunteer for another tax.

note: updated the conditions to also include Open Source - something that should have been obvious but we have coins like XRP.

powdabam

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:39:58 AM

OK, it has finally hit the point where we are seeing 1-3 new altcoins every week.  
For any other software project Id argue this is a great thing but for crypto currencies its a terrible thing.

First let me start by showing some good examples of altcoins:

* litecoin - not the first to add scrypt but most successful.
* ppcoin - a genuine innovation on bitcoin protocol.

Now let me show what I consider to be bad altcoins:

* CNC
* RUC
* TRC
* BitBar
* FTC

Russiacoin and Chinacoin are transparent attempts to make money of patriots and nationalists with more money than common sense (most of them). For a coin to be official for a country it needs to be officially endorsed, not made by a script kiddy and supported by a rabbid circle jerk.

TRC & FTC - Mere tweaks of bitcoin and nothing more. The danger with this coins is that the developer/s often do not have the skills required to do more than tweak the settings and compile. Should  they come under attack (as TRC recently did) the devs may find themselves sorely tested until their breaking point. Every issue/ DoS exploit discovered in the bitcoin protocol is likely to be patched before anouncement or within the hour of said announcement. The much smaller dev teams for these altcoins have to race  to apply patches and test them against their tweaked (sometimes modified) bitcoin client resulting in a far greater window for an attacker to abuse.

Bitbar - the most transparent "Read Set Go Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine *FUCK OFF ITS NOT A PREMINE YOU HATER*" altcoin I have ever seen. Same applies to CNC.

Novacoin - to soon to tell, being a PoS system with scrypt does make it unique to the rest at this point, whether its enough to garner serious interest is another thing. The few services that do support have tumbleweeds rolling around. Novacoin did demonstrate the issue with doing a semi private release first.

Tips for creating a viable altcoin:

* Be a competent c++ programmer.
* Innovate - pick an issue bitcoin has and attempt to solve it like PoS.
* co-ordinate the release, dont announce it in your little sub forum and  then a week later to the rest of the world (bad karma).
* Set the initial difficulty very high, lest you want the same fiasco that CNC created with blocks being mined every 10 seconds by the devs. It should take a good sized pool 15min-1h to find your first block. Let the difficulty adjust naturally, dont low ball it for you and your early adopter buddies.
* Pre Announce its release, let people know its coming so they can be ready for it.
* Project MUST BE open source.

Great read, spot on, fully agree with entire write up.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: