Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:36:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallets - Multiple Questions  (Read 2223 times)
neverxpected (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 10:39:08 PM

**First post - Please move this post to the correct section if I posted in the wrong place**

I'm confused by the wallets and feel like I've found mixed answers around the web so I figured I would try my luck here.

• Do I need to download a wallet for EACH currency I own/mine or is there an a downloadable wallet that holds multiple currencies?
  • If I delete a wallet from my hard drive do I lose all my coins or can I just re-download the wallet and get access to my coins as long as I have the address/password saved for the previous wallet?
  • Is there another good site/forum/place that would go into more details about wallets in general?

Thanks and sorry if there is a post here that already addresses the issues/questions...I just couldn't find it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 10:56:11 PM

I understand that you use a wallet online. Then what does it mean to download a wallet on your computer. Your wallet is on the website and your hard disk does not have this wallet is irrelevant. Knowing the password you always will go into it.
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2017, 11:04:01 PM

I understand that you use a wallet online. Then what does it mean to download a wallet on your computer. Your wallet is on the website and your hard disk does not have this wallet is irrelevant. Knowing the password you always will go into it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can download the wallet to your hard drive and synchronize it (which takes forever usually lol) This type of wallet is what I'm worried about losing the data on.

Reason being, I downloaded 5 different wallets for 5 different currencies, but I'm about to reformat the computer.  So does that mean:

A - I need to back up all the wallet data on a usb and then put it back on the computer once it's reformatted
B - I could just save the addresses/passwords for each wallet and clean reformat my computer then re-download the wallets and be good?

I know there online sites like that have wallet options, but I feel like it's mixed emotions when it comes to long term holding of coins in an online wallet.

Does that make sense or no?
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 01:51:15 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can download the wallet to your hard drive and synchronize it (which takes forever usually lol) This type of wallet is what I'm worried about losing the data on.

Reason being, I downloaded 5 different wallets for 5 different currencies, but I'm about to reformat the computer.  So does that mean:

A - I need to back up all the wallet data on a usb and then put it back on the computer once it's reformatted
B - I could just save the addresses/passwords for each wallet and clean reformat my computer then re-download the wallets and be good?

I know there online sites like that have wallet options, but I feel like it's mixed emotions when it comes to long term holding of coins in an online wallet.

Depends on wallet you are using. Best are wallets which gives you seed from which you can make full recovery  (deterministic wallets)... then the only need is to store this seed.
So if you are using deterministic wallet (most of them are) ... just keep the copy of seed. Other cases you have to locate and store the wallet file( do not forget pass or make unecrypted backup).

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2017, 02:03:26 AM

Depends on wallet you are using. Best are wallets which gives you seed from which you can make full recovery  (deterministic wallets)... then the only need is to store this seed.
So if you are using deterministic wallet (most of them are) ... just keep the copy of seed. Other cases you have to locate and store the wallet file( do not forget pass or make unecrypted backup).

ahhh ok!  I'll start to look up deterministic wallets and compare the wallets I currently use to see what they are.  Thanks I appreciate the help!
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 03:03:07 PM

ahhh ok!  I'll start to look up deterministic wallets and compare the wallets I currently use to see what they are.  Thanks I appreciate the help!

You're welcome. Such wallets are also known as HD (hierarchical deterministic) wallets.
Can recommend you to check bitcoin.org as they have a great wallet overview https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 07:29:37 AM

**First post - Please move this post to the correct section if I posted in the wrong place**

I'm confused by the wallets and feel like I've found mixed answers around the web so I figured I would try my luck here.

• Do I need to download a wallet for EACH currency I own/mine or is there an a downloadable wallet that holds multiple currencies?
  • If I delete a wallet from my hard drive do I lose all my coins or can I just re-download the wallet and get access to my coins as long as I have the address/password saved for the previous wallet?
  • Is there another good site/forum/place that would go into more details about wallets in general?

Thanks and sorry if there is a post here that already addresses the issues/questions...I just couldn't find it.

1. There are different kinds of wallets with different kinds of features. If you wanted a wallet that holds multiple currencies, try jaxx (not saying its the best though):
Android | iOS | OSX | Windows | Linux

2. You lose your coins if  you don't have a backup (using recovery phrases, private keys, etc). Make sure to back em up before storing your crypto.

3. This post explained it decently.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
lusiaga

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 11:06:26 AM

is that ok if i used wallet of trading market such as poloniex , bitrex or bitfinex to save all my crypto balance ?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2017, 11:47:58 AM

is that ok if i used wallet of trading market such as poloniex , bitrex or bitfinex to save all my crypto balance ?
No. Anyone who does this is an idiot. Any funds held on an exchange are not your funds, they are an IOU. The least what you could do is use a light wallet such as Electrum (Desktop) / Mycelium (Mobile).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 03:58:42 PM

1. There are different kinds of wallets with different kinds of features. If you wanted a wallet that holds multiple currencies, try jaxx (not saying its the best though):
Android | iOS | OSX | Windows | Linux

2. You lose your coins if  you don't have a backup (using recovery phrases, private keys, etc). Make sure to back em up before storing your crypto.

3. This post explained it decently.

Gotcha!  Thanks for the help mjglqw!
Lizzie_Girl

Activity: 332
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:47:16 PM

Simple answer.

1. Yes each wallet must be downloaded unless it has an online wallet. Never use an exchange as a wallet.

2. You will lose your coins if wallet.dat is deleted. Find wallet.dat here :

First search %appdata% hit enter.
Look for the coins name and open folder. A wallet.dat file will be there. Back it up !!
To restore your wallet or to change to another one simply replace the wallet.dat file.

3. Use this forum.
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2017, 06:54:11 AM

Simple answer.

1. Yes each wallet must be downloaded unless it has an online wallet. Never use an exchange as a wallet.

Look for the coins name and open folder. A wallet.dat file will be there. Back it up !!
To restore your wallet or to change to another one simply replace the wallet.dat file.

3. Use this forum.

Thanks Lizzie, this was helpful to me!
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 07:51:14 PM

1. Generally yes, you need to download for each, there are sometimes multi wallets but not developed actively/reputable enough to use
2. You won't loose wallet because almost always wallet file (which contains your private keys) is keeped in user directory (not install directory). But its not advised, you need to make backup of wallet file or private keys at best to be sure you have access to your coins no matter what.
3. You could read about paper wallets, any wikipedia will do, cold storage and in general about wallets
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 10:28:15 AM

Yes and no. There are wallets for individual currencies, and there are also wallets that hold multiple currencies, like Jaxx.io.

You lose all your coins unless you back them up.

No. Google is enough. Read like 3 topics or blog posts and you're all good.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TeamSnapshot

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 05:15:16 PM

Yes and no. There are wallets for individual currencies, and there are also wallets that hold multiple currencies, like Jaxx.io.

This is all spot on.
Lizzie_Girl

Activity: 332
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:31:41 PM

Simple answer.

3. Use this forum.

Thanks Lizzie, this was helpful to me!

It's a pleasure dude. Smiley Please remember to keep back ups and do not store them long term on a flash drive as their memory eventually clears. Use a CD or DVD or even better an external HDD or even internal. You do not want to lose your coins .

This is all spot on.

Nah my post was better. ^^
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 01:33:14 AM

Wow thanks Lizzie...had no idea that happened with flash drives!  Also, thanks to everyone else for all the help!  It definitely is starting to make more sense now.
Ashtville

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 11:24:22 AM

Do I need to download a wallet for EACH currency I own/mine or is there an a downloadable wallet that holds multiple currencies?

* There are few projects from Komodo and the like, but for now, it's one PC wallet per currency.

If I delete a wallet from my hard drive do I lose all my coins or can I just re-download the wallet and get access to my coins as long as I have the address/password saved for the previous wallet?

*Not address but private key, or the recovery phrase/seed, but just the password and public address aren't enough. Make backups and it will be saved.

Is there another good site/forum/place that would go into more details about wallets in general?

* There is a wiki which is better than a forum, Google bitcoin wiki, all wallets are discussed in detail there.
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 12:11:10 AM

Simple answer.

3. Use this forum.

So I decided to take the dive and start backing up my wallets, but wanted to double check on a few things which tie specifically into the post above:

1.  Do I just need to backup the "wallet.dat" file or the whole folder that contains the wallet.dat file in my - %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\"coin name here"

2.  If I change the name of my wallet.dat will it corrupt the file.  For example, say I have like 5 different coins and 5 different wallet.dat files I wouldn't know what is what. (unless of course I make different folders that labeled the coin...yes I know it's a simple solution, but just wondering)  So if I changed them to say bitcoinwallet.bat & ethwallet.bat etc. etc. would those files still work?  OR could I do that, but have to just eventually change it to wallet.dat when I want to use it again?

3.  If I delete a wallet, then reinstall a wallet, do I just need to go into this folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\"coin name here" and just replace/overwrite the "wallet.dat" file once the new wallet is done syncing with the network?

I figured I'd start with a wallet that has a small amount in it so in case I screwed something up I wouldn't lose much.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 07:33:10 AM

Simple answer.

3. Use this forum.

So I decided to take the dive and start backing up my wallets, but wanted to double check on a few things which tie specifically into the post above:

1.  Do I just need to backup the "wallet.dat" file or the whole folder that contains the wallet.dat file in my - %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\"coin name here"

If you just want to recover your wallet, then wallet.dat file is enough. But you would have to download entire blockchain again to spend it from your client.

2.  If I change the name of my wallet.dat will it corrupt the file.  For example, say I have like 5 different coins and 5 different wallet.dat files I wouldn't know what is what. (unless of course I make different folders that labeled the coin...yes I know it's a simple solution, but just wondering)  So if I changed them to say bitcoinwallet.bat & ethwallet.bat etc. etc. would those files still work?  OR could I do that, but have to just eventually change it to wallet.dat when I want to use it again?

AFAIK, renaming wallet.dat won't corrupt your file. You will have to change extension to .dat to recover your wallet.

3.  If I delete a wallet, then reinstall a wallet, do I just need to go into this folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\"coin name here" and just replace/overwrite the "wallet.dat" file once the new wallet is done syncing with the network?

You can replace wallet.dat (default) file with your wallet file anytime. Don't forget to close your client when doing it. Though you can do it anytime,, I suggest you to do it before syncing, so you don't need to rescan to check transactions.

I figured I'd start with a wallet that has a small amount in it so in case I screwed something up I wouldn't lose much.

You can use testnet instead. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Testnet

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: