Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:15:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Bitcoin ending up like Yahoo in the future?  (Read 13086 times)
woas4

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 11:51:32 PM

Yahoo is an outlier in my opinion... I dont think bitcoin will follow (neither IS following atm) the same footsteps... Hope not!  Tongue

fathur.aza

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 02:51:34 AM

I think the world will have no permanent name unless there is a change. So do not be surprised if someday the old kripto-kardiakda will get more innovative and more advanced features that will take over.
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 02:55:32 AM

Yahoo was the first (?) search engine at the time when Internet started.  It was the pioneer in its field.  In the late 90's its market cap reached to a high closed to $120B.   Three and a half years after Yahoo started, Google came out and gradually took away market share from Yahoo.

After 22 years, Verizon bought it for $4.8B.  Would Bitcoin ending up like Yahoo in the future and got beat up by new competitions?

What do you think?  Please provide your reason(s) to support your view.
Bitcoin is not like a search engine, trust is very important when it comes to currencies so even if a coin has better technology that does not mean that people are going to accept it and replace bitcoin with it, I think there are only two scenarios in which bitcoin is replaced., a flaw in the code or a limitation on the ability of bitcoin to scale or a coin that is not only a bit better but that is a leagues above bitcoin
BTCbengi

Activity: 241

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 02:58:15 AM

Yahoo was the first (?) search engine at the time when Internet started.  It was the pioneer in its field.  In the late 90's its market cap reached to a high closed to $120B.   Three and a half years after Yahoo started, Google came out and gradually took away market share from Yahoo.

After 22 years, Verizon bought it for $4.8B.  Would Bitcoin ending up like Yahoo in the future and got beat up by new competitions?

What do you think?  Please provide your reason(s) to support your view.

Maybe you're right. Or it will grow and last forever. Yahoo is clearly evident when it was once the world's most flourishing social networking site. But then, more and more social networks appear and more and more users such as Facebook, Twiter, ... so from then on, Yahoo is forgotten and disappears. Bitcoin is like that, more and more Altcoin appear, there are many improvements, more advantages. That will happen

Bitcoin Guy (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 08:31:10 PM

Now that Segwit is locked in and will be implemented next month, Bitcoin needs to implement Lightning Network (or other better scaling technologies) to solve its scaling issue soon.  With BCC and other altcoins competing with Bitcoin, it is time for Bitcoin to improve and to make microtransactions possible to regain/keep its territory. 

- To be or not to be, that is the question. -
BartS

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 03:45:58 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2017, 04:06:47 PM by BartS

Now that Segwit is locked in and will be implemented next month, Bitcoin needs to implement Lightning Network (or other better scaling technologies) to solve its scaling issue soon.  With BCC and other altcoins competing with Bitcoin, it is time for Bitcoin to improve and to make microtransactions possible to regain/keep its territory.  
BCC is not really a competitor to bitcoin, BCC is going to fail, it doesn't matter if it has bitcoin on its name it is nothing but a cheap copy of bitcoin that people are not going to support, if a coin wants to be successful then that coin cannot rely only on technology it needs the support of the people and BCC does not have that.
Bitcoin Guy (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 09:41:26 PM

Now that Segwit is locked in and will be implemented next month, Bitcoin needs to implement Lightning Network (or other better scaling technologies) to solve its scaling issue soon.  With BCC and other altcoins competing with Bitcoin, it is time for Bitcoin to improve and to make microtransactions possible to regain/keep its territory. 
BCC is not really a competitor to bitcoin, BCC is going to fail, it doesn't matter if it has bitcoin on its name it is nothing but a cheap copy of bitcoin that people are not going to support, if a coin wants to be successful then that coin cannot rely only on technology it needs the support of the people and BCC does to have that.

I think BCC would not make it too, but I think it might survive in the short run with 1% of Bitcoin's value for a while.

BartS

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 04:19:33 PM

BCC is not really a competitor to bitcoin, BCC is going to fail, it doesn't matter if it has bitcoin on its name it is nothing but a cheap copy of bitcoin that people are not going to support, if a coin wants to be successful then that coin cannot rely only on technology it needs the support of the people and BCC does to have that.

I think BCC would not make it too, but I think it might survive in the short run with 1% of Bitcoin's value for a while.
I still think that BCH is not going to survive for long, but with a price of almost 500 dollars at the moment which is about 18% of the bitcoin price then the coin seems to be doing well, I do not know form a technical point of view how well is performing but I suppose everything is fine just by looking at the prices.
oom

Activity: 190

The next step in Financial Markets evolution

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 04:28:52 PM

Yahoo was the first (?) search engine at the time when Internet started.  It was the pioneer in its field.  In the late 90's its market cap reached to a high closed to $120B.   Three and a half years after Yahoo started, Google came out and gradually took away market share from Yahoo.

After 22 years, Verizon bought it for $4.8B.  Would Bitcoin ending up like Yahoo in the future and got beat up by new competitions?

Yeah, I think Yahoo and Bitcoin have same similiarity, early birth people underestimate about them. But time will tell what happen because they are pionier and have superiority in market. But I still don't see the "competitor" show up in next couple years.

Genesis Vision— Decentralized Platform for Asset Management
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰GVT▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰  
  Twitter Facebook TRADE WITH GV Telegram Medium  ●
ajmapalo22

Activity: 266
Merit: 122

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 04:43:59 PM

That could happen if the value of other coins will likely to be more reasonable than the value of bitcoin and also if they will result to more attractive and useful to people..but if the demand in bitcoin will continue to grow as well as improvements in using it I think bitcoin will still be top of the line...right now bitcoin head all crypto currency and maybe will still be in that position for so many years
Bitcoin Guy (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:14:30 AM

Yeah, I think Yahoo and Bitcoin have same similiarity, early birth people underestimate about them. But time will tell what happen because they are pionier and have superiority in market. But I still don't see the "competitor" show up in next couple years.

A real competitor will be hard to come by because Bitcoin has already established some acceptances by people and countries.  But if a coin, such as Litecoin for example, which can process transactions quickly and with very low fees (and allows very low cost microtransactions), it may also starts to gain acceptance.  Once that happened, Bitcoin may be replaced partially or mostly (but probably not complete).

By the way, thank you for writing your first post on this thread.   Smiley

tuapoma

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:45:01 AM

the great question is not whether bitcoin has failed, but whether bitcoin will fulfill satoshi's vision. the dash digital cash is the anonymous evolution of bitcoin, then we should ask, bitcoin vs dash: which will fulfill satoshi’s vision?

how to choose a cryptocurrency to invest?

well, pay attention to coin supply!! for example, the Ether, Zcash, NEM and Monero offer infinite coin supply, i do not trust a cryptocurrency with infinite inflation; on the other hand, the DASH Max Supply is 18,900,000 DASH. a deflationary coin is not a problem at all, a deflationary coin is the best option, i prefer DASH! well, i've already traded all my Bitcoins and other coins for the cryptocurrency called DASH Digital Cash. The Litecoin is just a clone of bitcoin with some variables changed, the Bitcoin network is very slow, many transactions are delayed, and the Bitcoin Cash is a fake fork! On the other hand, the DASH network is the most efficient. Yes! The network of masternodes is the great idea
leirou

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:50:49 AM

It is Possible but there are many other cryptocurrency waiting in line though like ETH and LTC include the new bitcoin cash right now . might also take it place in time.
mostkey

Activity: 742
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:05:54 AM

the great question is not whether bitcoin has failed, but whether bitcoin will fulfill satoshi's vision. the dash digital cash is the anonymous evolution of bitcoin, then we should ask, bitcoin vs dash: which will fulfill satoshi’s vision?

Indeed bitcoin does not fail, but this seems far from what satoshi expect,
Now like there is chaos in bitcoin, especially with the addition of BCH, which may be a mess that will be received by us bitcoin users,
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:31:10 AM

Nobody knows for sure what will happen next in the future, but if I can predict I will say bitcoin will not be the same fate as yahoo, yahoo shut down its service because it went bankrupt because they lost a lot of customers and their customers have gone to google which both are a leading search engine. and on bitcoin I assume bitcoin will not be abandoned by cryptocurrency users although if later etherum can replace bitcoin I think bitcoin will still exist because I think bitcoin is best.

True, its hard to tell what the future has in store for Bitcoin. Yahoo wasn't able to keep up with its competitors. Better search engines and email platforms emerged, so the users opted to abandon yahoo. This could happen to Bitcoin if its users choose not to use it anymore and to abandon it for another coin. But I think that Bitcoin, as the first cryptocurrency, would stay strong as compared to other coins. Other altcoins have advantages which Bitcoin doesn't have but Bitcoin remains to be more popular and used by most crypto-users.

yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:57:13 AM

bitcoin is not a company nor a stock, it is a form of electronic payment system that the company would like to adopt. bitcoin would come to an extinction some day , their are a lot of growing cryptocurrency that would compete the system of bitcoin technology. bitcoin is still  not perfect system for cryptocurrency but it is a good basis and model for upcoming cryptocurrency concepts but it can not be a gold standard.
ice18

Activity: 2492
Merit: 542

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:36:01 AM

This is not impossible to happen considering there are many altcoins today offering more improvements than the bitcoin blockchain like the most improved etherium I think if bitcoin is yahoo maybe google is etherium. 

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:46:42 AM

Yahoo was never a real search engine, it was an "indexer" which was all the rage back in 1995. Search function is more of an after thought. Before Google arrived at the scene, the common wisdom was "Who needs search? search can't make money".

Yahoo's search technology gotten so bad, that it had to buy another company called "Overture" to save their search function and compete with Google. Then later Yahoo just gave up developing inhouse search engine, and sold out to Bing.com, now it just uses Bing.com for search results.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Krillin61

Activity: 314
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:48:10 AM

I don't think bitcoin would end up like yahoo because bitcoin has a lot of difference compared to yahoo. Bitcoin is more powerful than yahoo yet, it has more supporter hence, it will never obsolescent. Yeah though some coins are failed but bitcoin is different from them. Therefore, bitcoin would never be end up like yahoo.
cotton ball

Activity: 1288
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:54:04 AM

Yahoo was never a real search engine, it was an "indexer" which was all the rage back in 1995. Search function is more of an after thought. Before Google arrived at the scene, the common wisdom was "Who needs search? search can't make money".

Yahoo's search technology gotten so bad, that it had to buy another company called "Overture" to save their search function and compete with Google. Then later Yahoo just gave up developing inhouse search engine, and sold out to Bing.com, now it just uses Bing.com for search results.

The problem experienced by yahoo is too quickly satisfied and feel comfortable when become the king of search engines and maill, they forget to continue developing their system and eventually lost to their strong competitors, it also happens on symbian os devices owned by nokia, If bitcoin is not see the ethereum development and look for stronger innovation then of course bitcoin will end like yahoo.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: