Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:15:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just have the best idea to help people and make BTC even bigger  (Read 5735 times)
mmitech (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:51:48 PM

Op why don't you contact Bruno (Phinnaeus Gage) at Bitcoin100 and donate your 2 btc?

you are really missing the point here , I can donate my 2 BTC right now, but we want to do it massive for a good cause to bring the media attention. it is a win-win case, my 2 BTC wont change the silk road picture and money laundry and.... that people have about BTC
fwho

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:52:25 PM

I couldnt focus on anything other than all the "allot" in OP...
bitchris

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:57:49 PM

I couldnt focus on anything other than all the "allot" in OP...

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm not a native english speaker. Next time I'll get it right.

Hopefully you can resolve your focusing problem someday too Tongue
FlappySocks

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:58:48 PM

How about setting up a KickStarter. Collect pledges. Offer the final amount to Unicef, providing they continue to accept donations with bitcoins.
How could they refuse?
mmitech (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:00:59 PM

mmitech -
you should consider the approach i suggested last month.
make a POT of bitcoin donations and an organization that MEETS a certain criteria (doesn't have to be specifically UNISEF) who wants it will have access to it. that way when the pot grows BIG ENOUGH people will be all to eager to take it. (with stipulations like not being able to convert to fiat for 6 months or something)

making a charity will take a hell of a time to build a reputation, than you really need to have the knowledge where and how to help people, when I suggested UNICEF it wasn't a coincidence, UNICEF has been doing this for long time and they earned respect and legitimacy. this is why we need them and exactly them, or maybe an organisation as big as them.

think for the long term, this would be a great thing for people there in Africa, your 1 BTC could feed a family for 3 months at this price,r 0.01 BTC could feed a family for a day or two.

only the attempt to do that is something, and even if we wont succeed will  this bring us widely to media in a positive way, if they will accept it is even better.  
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:03:02 PM

Op why don't you contact Bruno (Phinnaeus Gage) at Bitcoin100 and donate your 2 btc?

you are really missing the point here , I can donate my 2 BTC right now, but we want to do it massive for a good cause to bring the media attention. it is a win-win case, my 2 BTC wont change the silk road picture and money laundry and.... that people have about BTC

I just realized that you don't know what Bitcoin100 is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.0

mmitech (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:07:47 PM

I just realized that you don't know what Bitcoin100 is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.0

12-Mar-21 Group B Strep Inter.. - ฿127.35400000
12-Jul-20 Kenija2012.net        - ฿100.00000000
12-Dec-14 BUND Berlin e.V.      - ฿100.54164468
13-Jan-02 My Refuge House       - ฿100.00000000

TOTAL  - ฿427.89564468
i do not know a single charity of those listed!! you get my point now ?

edit: but thank you, I did not know of that thread, I will consider donating there as well.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:13:08 PM

We contacted most of the majors. They either said no or didn't respond. Good idea though; so good in fact its already been done!

superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:14:43 PM

mmitech -
make a POT of bitcoin donations and an organization that MEETS a certain criteria (doesn't have to be specifically UNISEF) who wants it will have access to it. that way when the pot grows BIG ENOUGH people will be all to eager to take it. (with stipulations like not being able to convert to fiat for 6 months or something)

making a charity will take a hell of a time to build a reputation, than you really need to have the knowledge where and how to help people, when I suggested UNICEF it wasn't a coincidence, UNICEF has been doing this for long time and they earned respect and legitimacy. this is why we need them and exactly them, or maybe an organisation as big as them.

think for the long term, this would be a great thing for people there in Africa, your 1 BTC could feed a family for 3 months at this price,r 0.01 BTC could feed a family for a day or two.

only the attempt to do that is something, and even if we wont succeed will  this bring us widely to media in a positive way, if they will accept it is even better.  

you didn't understand what i was saying.
i meant that getting a large pot of coins (not starting a charity)
and then donating the whole pot to whichever organization (unicef or other) that meets certain criteria set up
so it could be set on certain parameters and whichever charity that meets the criteria requests the bitcoins would get a nice giant pot of coins

ok
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:17:00 PM

That's exactly what Bitcoin100 does.

mmitech (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:19:04 PM

mmitech -

you didn't understand what i was saying.
i meant that getting a large pot of coins (not starting a charity)
and then donating the whole pot to whichever organization (unicef or other) that meets certain criteria set up
so it could be set on certain parameters and whichever charity that meets the criteria requests the bitcoins would get a nice giant pot of coins

sorry, I understood it the other way, but this could work as well, as long as the charity is big, and have a worldwide reputation, because we have to think global.
bitchris

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:21:06 PM

I say keep it simple and go with UNICEF for the reasons you pointed out before:

... when I suggested UNICEF it wasn't a coincidence, UNICEF has been doing this for long time and they earned respect and legitimacy. this is why we need them and exactly them, or maybe an organisation as big as them.
mmitech (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:23:39 PM

ok, I get you there you suggest that we can just donate to bitcoin100 ? and this will do it, you are even trolling or missing my point here, i did choose UNICEF for a reason, there you go guess why.

as long you are still thinking inside the box we are not going anywhere, so bitcoin inside bitcoin community wont help that much, maybe you are helping people but you are not doing much for bitcoin
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:25:19 PM

ok, I get you there you suggest that we can just donate to bitcoin100 ? and this will do it, you are even trolling or missing my point here, i did choose UNICEF for a reason, there you go guess why.

as long you are still thinking inside the box we are not going anywhere, so bitcoin inside bitcoin community wont help that much, maybe you are helping people but you are not doing much for bitcoin

At least look at this list of charities they have already contacted so you don't duplicate effort. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55398.msg659165#msg659165

Good Luck!

xmax

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:36:38 PM

Great idea, I'm In!
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:54:18 PM

What if it wasn't UNICEF.  What if I told you there was a way to solve World Hunger and I mean like forever.  Would this be a sufficient cause?

+1 this post and with enough, I'll take the time to layout what led me to Bitcoin and what we've been working on for nearly a year.  

One piece of information I'll give you, is according to the UN, it will take about $30 billion/year to accomplish this.

@OP - if you deem this as a thread highjack, it's not my intention at all and I apologize. I could start another if the interest is there.  

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
wopwop

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:58:45 PM

what a stupid idea

UNICEF doesn't make money if ppl can send money directly to people

that's what unicef would say, behind closed doors ofc

in public they'd probably either say that africans don't have computers or tell ppl to send money to unicef's private account
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:11:14 PM

what a ***** idea

UNICEF doesn't make money if ppl can send money directly to people

that's what unicef would say, behind closed doors ofc

in public they'd probably either say that africans don't have computers or tell ppl to send money to unicef's private account

Your point would have been better received without the unnecessary attack in your first sentence.  That's just rude, especially when someone is suggestion the good of both Bitcoin and humanity.  MIght I suggest you edit that.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:05:05 AM

Why you made this thread and then did not provide any of Unicef's contact info is beyond me. But here you go:

http://www.unicef.org/about/contact_contactusform.php

thank you, we have to gather up here as many as as we can, it is not a one day project, if there is allot of us willing to seriously contribute than we will contact them. we cannot contact for 2 or 3 users, we have to bring the media attention .

I've written to ask if they accept btc.. Hope they will do, if so I'll donate some for sure !
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 12:09:47 AM

people everywhere are more than willing to accept a currency if it will help their pocketbook or their cause. the real problem is not spending or accepting, it's getting it in the first place. people will only use bitcoin if its less than 3 clicks away. that's where things like bitcoin atm 's come into play.

Got me thinking: What if 1% of every Bitcoin purchased through an ATM would be automatically donated to UNICEF, and if this would be clearly stated on every Bitcoin ATM?

That would NOT increase the cost of Bitcoins by much
That would associate good cause with Bitcoin (which is needed to compensate for / decommission the association with drugs and illegal causes)
That would give the media more positive stories to write about
That would strengthen the public support for Bitcoins ATMs and therefore make them more difficult for regulators to ban
That would help a good cause ALLOT eventually

Opinions?

I dont agree, it's like a restaurant offering me to buy a cookie for a dollar wich will go to charity.. The restaurant dont have to solicitate, they can donate from their own pocket..  Otherwise, they are just using customers money to boost their image as being charitable.. I dont like those pratice..
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: