Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:34:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill Spam  (Read 8255 times)
saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:13:36 AM

yeah WTF?!?! nobody likes spammers...  Cry
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:26:45 AM

I don't really see what's wrong with this. He even said you can remove the code. Besides that it actually is an informative email. He's just giving you a sort of voluntary place to tip?
Seriously? People believe it is not spam if they say you can remove the ref code.
50% of the spamposts on forums contain that sentence, the other 50% camouflages the ref url with url of the original site

This is clearly spam not an info mail, the info mail I've allready got from MtGox themselves before I got 8 mails from our nice btc supporter.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 12:27:59 AM

I don't really see what's wrong with this. He even said you can remove the code. Besides that it actually is an informative email. He's just giving you a sort of voluntary place to tip?
+1

At the very least we will remove all the referrals from this users account.
Why?
As said just above, he even said one's could remove the referral code

Hi JackJack,

It is not within our value system to applaud/condone the use of stolen goods whether they benefit us or not.

We recognize this person is a ‘fan’ but we will NOT be giving them commissions. Likewise, our partners will discuss any further actions and we will report back.

Thanks,
Adam Stradling

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
beeph

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:33:06 AM

this kind of advertising shows what kind of ethics the people running tradehill have.. not exactly the #1 qualification for a guy you entrust with your money and to run a fair exchange.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 12:47:38 AM

Delivered-To: x@x.com
Received: by 10.52.183.73 with SMTP id ek9cs4491vdc;
        Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.91.72.28 with SMTP id z28mr5024515agk.61.1308525316970;
        Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <goemitar@bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com>
Received: from bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com (bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com [209.223.236.66])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id f2si9221695anb.176.2011.06.19.16.15.16
        (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
        Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of goemitar@bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com designates 209.223.236.66 as permitted sender) client-ip=209.223.236.66;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of goemitar@bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com designates 209.223.236.66 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=goemitar@bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com
Received: from goemitar by bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com with local (Exim 4.69)
   (envelope-from <goemitar@bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com>)
   id 1QYRD2-0004XV-Fn
   for x@x.com; Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:15:16 -0500
To: x@x.com
Subject: Mt Gox has been hacked
X-PHP-Script: www.goemitar.com/mailto.php for 84.194.195.139, 173.245.53.210
Message-Id: <E1QYRD2-0004XV-Fn@bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:15:16 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - x.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [639 634] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - bonecrusher.gulfsouthmedia.com

Dear Sir or Madam,

A few hours ago the Bitcoin trading website Mt Gox has been hacked. Malicious individuals have been able to obtain a database containing usernames, email address and encrypted passwords. This information has been posted publicly on the internet.

As a Bitcoin supporter I'm now sending a message to every email address contained in the hacked database. This is to warn you that your username, email address and password have been leaked. I therefore strongly advice you to change your passwords. If you have used the same password on different websites it's highly recommended to change your password on all of your accounts!

For a more secure alternative to Mt Gox, the community appears to be moving to TradeHill. So this is no reason to lose faith in Bitcoin itself. It must be seen as a warning that not every website can be trusted with your data however! Their link is http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R15683 (Note: You can remove the Referral Code when registering if you want!) This is certainly not the only website where you can exchange Bitcoins, also check out http://www.thebitcoinlist.com/dp_bitcoin/bitcoin-exchange/

Sincerely,

A Bitcoin supporter
1CWSjov2N7ix41bZ8bJfHXkdLLbkUsG9Y7

I for one, think that TradeHill should block referrer TH-R15683 from any commission.

Ms. Bitcoin Supporter should be given a double commission for her timely assistance to the bitcoin community in its hour of greatest need, not punished!

She has provided a valuable service by informing the compromised users with info they badly needed to know and respond to, while MtGox was still in denial mode and dropping the ball.  The same thing happened at Gawker!

By including a link to the leading MtGox alternative, Ms. BS also gave compromised users the option of using that tool in their responses.

Let's examine the altruism meme that demands Ms. BS not gain anything for herself but possible self-satisfaction.

-  Without the greater incentive provided by the referral link, Ms. BS may have been less motivated and waited longer to send out her email blast.

-  Because Ms. BS opens herself up to (now demonstrated) recriminations from TradeHill, and possible retaliation from the MtGox hackers, there is an unspoken, subtle demand that Ms. BS sacrifice herself for others, without reward.

I could go on, but I'm sure all you bright bitcoiners have already gotten the point.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:51:19 AM

Loved the "Ms BS" touch!  Grin

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:55:21 AM

Seems like an entrepreneur responding to economic incentives to disseminate news to interested parties. Helpful.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 01:11:57 AM

Seven emails from someone I don't know, giving me advice I don't need, encouraging me to change exchanges even though I already have accounts at both, and trying to get referral fees out of it - that sure meets my definition of spam.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to point out this person is not affiliated with The Bitcoin List in any way.

Still around.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:20:07 AM

No need to to go overboard. If Mt.Gox had NO security precautions then there passwords would have been in the clear, OR they would have actually lost the bitcoins out of their back end wallet.
Some of the older passwords are damn close; they're hashed with unsalted MD5, which is not exactly high-grade security. They seem to have missed obvious security measures whenever those would require significant effort. I'm more paranoid than this about security in toy web applications, for goodness sake!

Just because tradehill hasn't been compromised means absolutely nothing. Why would anybody even bother? All the current traders are on Mt. Gox. since you have no idea what security Tradehill has, then implying that they are doing something better then Mt. Gox is just spreading a false sense of security.
An entirely founded sense of security, thank you very much. Similar CSRF vulnerabilities have been found on some of the other smaller sites - there are people actually looking for them now. (It appears from a quick glance that Tradehill have CSRF protection on at least their login and registration forms, so they're aware of the issue.) Sure, it's impossible to be entirely certain how secure other aspects of the site are, but it's a promising sign that they've taken this seriously.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:25:08 AM

Tighten your belts, a new wave of TH-related spam is on the way!
Just got another email... will I get emails from all TH users? Scary just think about it!  Huh

People, my data plan doesn't support for all this spam! Please! I rather switch off my MtGox email from my BB.  Angry

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
tabshift

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:28:26 AM

Tighten your belts, a new wave of TH-related spam is on the way!
Just got another email... will I get emails from all TH users? Scary just think about it!  Huh

People, my data plan doesn't support for all this spam! Please! I rather switch off my MtGox email from my BB.  Angry

Yep, I just got the following spam from 'bittrader566@yahoo.com':

The latest in a string of hacks to Mt Gox has made me move to Trade Hill. Use this referral code to get 10% off all trade fees: TH-R13698

http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R13698

DarkStar

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:40:14 AM

getting the same message now using this account TH-R15977
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 01:43:09 AM

Seven emails from someone I don't know, giving me advice I don't need, encouraging me to change exchanges even though I already have accounts at both, and trying to get referral fees out of it - that sure meets my definition of spam.

Spam is getting advertisements for male performance products or whatever, for no good reason, out of the blue.

Ms. BS's timely and responsive email blast was primarily an advisory about the MtGox situation, with the additional option of using TradeHill as a handy replacement also being provided.

Your objections just go to show that no good deed goes unpunished. 

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Astro

Activity: 284

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:48:00 AM

I didn't provide that person with my email address or opt-in to their messages.  This makes it spam.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:11:04 AM

Good for him someone should be warning people. The referral is a bit sleezy but so is ANY tradehill referral link. Get off your high horses.

Someone warned all the people on the lulzsec compromised e-mail list. Were they wrong too?
jatajuta

Activity: 365

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:12:20 AM

Go one step further.
We should find him, torture him and cut him in pieces

+1

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 02:19:35 AM

I didn't provide that person with my email address or opt-in to their messages.  This makes it spam.

No, that's incorrect.  For example, reference the situation which occurred at Gawker:

http://opensource.com/life/10/12/what-hintio-and-why-are-they-emailing-you

So what of hint.io, then? It appears to be the tool for a group that took matters into their own hands after Gawker opted to leave its users in the dark. TNW (The Next Web) calls them "good Samaritans." But at least one commenter there thinks that those sending the emails are as bad as those who compromised the accounts to begin with, since they're using the compromised data to sent the alerts.

As one of the recipients, I disagree. I'm thankful for their transparency where Gawker was unwilling. The data has been released. That can't be changed. But they've used it for good, not evil. Or at least as an effort to help prevent more evil.

I've already explained the difference between "any email that hurts your feelings" and "spam."

This is like trying to reason with someone that calls anyone who disagrees with them in an online forum a "troll."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Miner-TE

Activity: 499

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:40:20 AM

This is most certainly spam. Spam using illegally-obtained email addresses as targets. It's base, repulsive, and plain annoying.

Time to ban/freeze/delete/destroy the new Tradehill ref IDs: TH-R15977 & TH-R13698. These people are moral-less.

I agree,  I also got these messages.

BTC - 1PeMMYGn7xbZjUYeaWe9ct1VV6szLS1vkD - LTC - LbtcJRJJQQBjZuHr6Wm7vtB9RnnWtRNYpq
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:44:26 AM

Sweet mother of all bullshits on Earth!!!!  Shocked

Just got a spam email which the spammer put all of us (unfortunate users who gave the email address to MtGox) in the To field!  Shocked

Expecting now witchcraft chains...  Roll Eyes

|

|
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:04:25 AM

Sweet mother of all bullshits on Earth!!!!  Shocked

Just got a spam email which the spammer put all of us (unfortunate users who gave the email address to MtGox) in the To field!  Shocked

Expecting now witchcraft chains...  Roll Eyes

Yeah, I think I just got that one, it's titled "We Accept Bitcoins - GBVault".
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: