Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:52:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin core in Local Disk D:  (Read 536 times)
zend7 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 09:54:39 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2017, 11:29:38 AM by zend7

I have my primary hard disk a SSD of only 120 GB but have a HDD of 500 GB as my storage. Obviously I cannot download and start Bitcoin core in my SSD as I have 2 games plus a few other programs there. If I download it through torrent, can I point the torrent to the D storage and start Bitcoin core from there ?

I use Electrum and hardware wallet as my main wallets but want to try after a lot of time to have all the copy of the blockchain and bitcoin core in my PC too.

Edit: There is a problem I ask here as I know it can be done but I have Linux installed there and if I want to mount that partition I use EXT2 volume manager program. Windows games don't run from there even if I access that partition from windows that's why I ask. Don't want to go to Linux otherwise I lose mining from Nicehash.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 03:10:33 PM

I had trouble deciphering your setup clearly but you can start bitcoin core with the parameter -datadir and -conf to point to where the files are.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2017, 04:30:11 PM

What exactly are you asking about?

If you want to have the blockchain stored on your HDD instead of the main SSD, then you can start Bitcoin Core with the -datadir=<path> option where <path> is the path to the folder where you want the blockchain to be stored.

If I download it through torrent, can I point the torrent to the D storage and start Bitcoin core from there ?
Download what through torrent? The blockchain? If so, do not use any torrent to download the blockchain. It will be slower than allowing Bitcoin Core to sync normally.

zend7 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 06:11:32 PM

What exactly are you asking about?

If you want to have the blockchain stored on your HDD instead of the main SSD, then you can start Bitcoin Core with the -datadir=<path> option where <path> is the path to the folder where you want the blockchain to be stored.

If I download it through torrent, can I point the torrent to the D storage and start Bitcoin core from there ?
Download what through torrent? The blockchain? If so, do not use any torrent to download the blockchain. It will be slower than allowing Bitcoin Core to sync normally.

Thanks but it isn't starting on the HDD 500 GB , I think because that partition has an EXT4 filesystem as Linux is installed in it.

H is the partition where Linux is installed, I access it from windows but when I double click on the setup of Bitcoin core it shows the above error. The only option for me is to buy a new hdd only for Bitcoin core.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2017, 06:16:00 PM

Thanks but it isn't starting on the HDD 500 GB , I think because that partition has an EXT4 filesystem as Linux is installed in it.
What isn't "starting"? What exactly are you trying to do and what exactly have you already tried? Are you using the -datadir option? The filesystem doesn't matter if the OS can read from it and it shows as a drive that you can read and write to.

zend7 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 06:17:12 PM

What isn't "starting"? What exactly are you trying to do and what exactly have you already tried? Are you using the -datadir option? The filesystem doesn't matter if the OS can read from it and it shows as a drive that you can read and write to.

Edited the post above together with the explanation, I see my only option is to buy a new HDD, thanks for helping out anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: