Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 09:30:31 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Melted Molex/Sata Adapter Riser...Is My Setup Safe?  (Read 1545 times)
pickleburglar

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:05:57 AM

I think this is the 5th time I'm writing this...

1. PCIe slots are designed for 75W max
2. peripheral power connectors are designed for 132W max
3. SATA power connectors are designed for 54W max
4. AWG16 wire is designed for 264W max
5. AWG18 wire is designed for 192W max
6. AWG20 wire is designed for 132W max
(these wattages apply for 12v only)

Don't trust what random nobrand adapters say on their wire about the gauge, cut it open and measure it yourself.

Find your bottleneck (obviously the connector and fake wire gauge adapter in this case).
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 01:58:21 PM

The EVGA850 came with one Perif Cable which is 6 Pin to PSU x Molex with 3 molex on the cable.

Can I put 3 USB risers to that one cable or should I go buy 2 more 6 Pin x Molex cables for the other 2?

Don't put the 3 USB risers on one cable molex, this is a bad idea, been there and melted the wires, best is to have 1 is to 1 rule, 1 molex for 1 riser.

here is the guide, kudos to blog owner

http://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html
pickleburglar

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 03:12:07 PM

you can put 3 if the PSU uses 16 AWG cables or if you know for a fact that the cards won't drain more than a lesser cable can handle
dl87

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:26:23 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2018, 05:57:42 PM by dl87

Seems like you guys suggest running it directly with the Molex chain that came with the Lepa.

I was told that the Molex chain it came with isn't standard (it looks exactly like the burnt end on the link pic he posted to the other thread as it came from same Lepa model).

If I run the 3 PSU Molex chain cables, I can only run 3 1080 TI cards if each cable is dedicated to one card. The 4th card would have to be either be connected to a Molex > sata adaptor to the PSU sata chain cable, or share a cable with another riser (2 risers on this cable).

Looked online don't see an extra molex cable sold. Any ideas or solutions?

Also, how would the pcie cable connector look, or where would it plug as it doesn't seem to come with one. I'm rather new at this and have trouble identifying the right cables.

Using 3 cards on 3 separate molex chains and the 4th card with a sata#molex should be fine.

Try it, run them for like half an hour and check if they get hot where the others have burned.
Hi Bro,

I'm having the exact same issue with this 1200W PSU: https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/477
Could you advise how I can connect sata connector on the riser to this PSU, I used the drives port on the PSU for 2xGPU only and the PSU cable burned out. I'm not sure whether my PSU is being degraded.Thanks
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: