Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:10:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Private Keys engraved in Diamond  (Read 4475 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 08:02:53 PM

Is it possible to engrave a key on a crystalline lens? Very handy to always have ur key in front of ur eye(s)...  Grin

I think generally it's possible to engrave anything, although if you are talking about engraving it into your eye It might not last. Certainly glass contacts it should be possible.

Speaking about creepy items though- I am talking with someone about what it would take to create sub-dermal implants: RFID chips or the physical sub dermal piercing that could contain your private key below the skin, or even an engraved QR code on the protruding part of some sub-dermal implants.

Needless to say, the popularity of such devices might be quite far off.

Or, seeing as how some parts of the world are going. Maybe FinCen regulation will require everyone to have their BTC Private key implanted. :-)

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 08:15:36 PM

I wanted to gauge interest in a new project I am putting together. I am setting up a new service where by you can have encrypted bitcoin private keys laser engraved in Diamond for safekeeping and as an ultra-luxury product.

We will be launching a website soon but we will also have a brick-and-mortar store location as well so you can bring in your loose diamonds for engraving, or you can purchase certified loose diamonds through us. Alternatively, we will have expert jewelers on site that can remove and replace diamonds from existing settings (rings for example) if you wanted to engrave on a diamond that is already set in jewelry.

The engraving does not affect any of the diamonds physical characteristics (nor changes its value) and will be microscopic. It will be done directly through our partners in Belgium. For non-local customers, shipping will be done via insured carrier and is safe.

I am interested in what questions the community might have about such a service so that I can have them answered already when we launch the website. It's hard to get any sort of market data on a product so novel such as this. What would you want to know before buying an engraved diamond? I'm all ears and very curious to hear peoples opinions!

this http://i.qkme.me/3tryd1.jpg

but seriously, interesting service ... beats a tattoo! Smiley

Good point. I think this is relevant for everyone with Bitcoin's. It's an interesting idea as well for mult-sig security. You could for example engrave one signature of a 2 of 3 sig transaction in the diamond. Put it in the bank. Then you could give the other two keys to your wife and your child. If you die, either one would be able to retrieve the bitcoin.

Additionally to response again to the hiding bitcoins in plain sight- if you were to die, there is a much higher chance of your broken toy being overlooked and simply thrown out. No one throws out diamonds, but very few would think to check it with a microscope (unless they were selling it). Also, people are well trained how to treat things like diamonds seriously so someone might safeguard a diamond without even knowing there are bitcoins stored in them, while the same can't be said of a broken toy or some very ordinary looking object. The idea is to hide it in a "seek and you shall find" kind of way.

haha this is sort of genius ... can you imagine a message that was released or decoded 1 year after you die ... 'look inside your diamond there is the key to my btc wallet'
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:09:03 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 04:45:31 AM by marcus_of_augustus

You could for example engrave one signature of a 2 of 3 sig transaction in the diamond. Put it in the bank. Then you could give the other two keys to your wife and your child. If you die, either one would be able to retrieve the bitcoin.

... then you go through a messy, bitter divorce and the lawyer convinces your ex-wife and child to team up to steal your bitcoins ...

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 02:28:44 AM

You're idea is a very good one. Very good when you consider what Mike has done with his Casascius password software (which lets you share a private key that is password protected with a password of your choosing).

You should PM Casascius if you are serious about making money with this idea. He's got experience. I'd buy one of these...when my wife and I were married, we got a 3D photo of us engraved in a clear plastic cube. It would work well for provate keys. We were married over 8 years ago, so the technology ain't new.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:53:40 AM

You're idea is a very good one. Very good when you consider what Mike has done with his Casascius password software (which lets you share a private key that is password protected with a password of your choosing).

You should PM Casascius if you are serious about making money with this idea. He's got experience. I'd buy one of these...when my wife and I were married, we got a 3D photo of us engraved in a clear plastic cube. It would work well for provate keys. We were married over 8 years ago, so the technology ain't new.

Will do- thanks for the tip!

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:17:25 PM

It wasn't me! :-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/10043957/Police-swoop-on-suspects-in-international-Belgian-diamond-heist-gang.html

more or less retired.
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:19:11 PM

You can encode your private key in a vial containing a message printed in DNA using Craig Vener's ASCII->DNA for about 5 hundred bucks. Seems a lot cooler.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:40:25 PM

You can encode your private key in a vial containing a message printed in DNA using Craig Vener's ASCII->DNA for about 5 hundred bucks. Seems a lot cooler.

But if Bitcoin explodes and is worth nothing, you're left with a chunk of worthless DNA.

In this case- you're still left with a perfectly valuable diamond.

more or less retired.
niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:03:26 PM

You cannot stress enough the durability of diamond as a material. Laser-engraved private key on diamond is likely to survive pretty much anything.
I think this idea might work if Bitcoin grows more, and if it is marketed to the right group. Right now, you target would be wealthy (who appreciate diamonds) nerds (who appreciate Bitcoin), which is a rather slim intersection.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
melvster

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:21:39 PM

But if Bitcoin explodes and is worth nothing, you're left with a chunk of worthless DNA.

In this case- you're still left with a perfectly valuable diamond.

or if the reverse is true, you might create the most valuable diamond in the world

currently the highest is worth about 400mm usd
melvster

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:43:56 PM

I wanted to gauge interest in a new project I am putting together. I am setting up a new service where by you can have encrypted bitcoin private keys laser engraved in Diamond for safekeeping and as an ultra-luxury product.

We will be launching a website soon but we will also have a brick-and-mortar store location as well so you can bring in your loose diamonds for engraving, or you can purchase certified loose diamonds through us. Alternatively, we will have expert jewelers on site that can remove and replace diamonds from existing settings (rings for example) if you wanted to engrave on a diamond that is already set in jewelry.

The engraving does not affect any of the diamonds physical characteristics (nor changes its value) and will be microscopic. It will be done directly through our partners in Belgium. For non-local customers, shipping will be done via insured carrier and is safe.

I am interested in what questions the community might have about such a service so that I can have them answered already when we launch the website. It's hard to get any sort of market data on a product so novel such as this. What would you want to know before buying an engraved diamond? I'm all ears and very curious to hear peoples opinions!

So I think you should allow the person to split the entropy.

Example

Bob buys Alice an engagment ring, but he wants it to be more valuable then Brittney's so he puts in 1000 BTC.  He also wants it to hold value.

A private key with 120 bits of entropy is created.

50 bits of entropy goes into the ring.

25 bits of entropy is a shared secret.  Maybe the name of where you met.

25 bits of entropy you keep safe.

20 bits of entropy is destroyed as a proof of work.

This way if the ring is stolen there is protection.

Also in the unlikely event that alice cheats on bob, the coins can be regained and she only keeps the diamond.  (seems a fair deal?)

If bob dies he leaves his 25 bits in his will and alice will be able to claim the coins ...
MessyCoin

Activity: 458

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:36:20 PM

Question about the idea Smiley

Sounds like the engraved encrypted key will be too small to be able to read with the human eye? So in addition to the diamond and the password to decrypt the key, what would be required to access the btc account - ? A magnifying glass? a Microsope? Thanks and sorry if I missed the answer in a previous post!

niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:15:01 PM

Sounds like the engraved encrypted key will be too small to be able to read with the human eye? So in addition to the diamond and the password to decrypt the key, what would be required to access the btc account - ? A magnifying glass? a Microsope? Thanks and sorry if I missed the answer in a previous post!
If cut in a certain way, you could just shine light through it and project the key onto the wall. Smiley

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:58:21 PM

If cut in a certain way, you could just shine light through it and project the key onto the wall. Smiley

One of the interesting things I has learned along the way is that diamonds are shiny precisely because of the way they are cut. The light all internally reflects to bounce back out. If you were to cut it so that light could pass straight through, it would not be sparkly at all. Just clear.

It's a neat idea being able to shine a laser through it, although the same cut that would probably make this possible would also probably make it not worth very much.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:03:27 PM

A strong loupe should work. The engraving is small, but not so small that a person couldn't check it in the shop on the spot to be sure.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:07:35 PM

Just a quick update. It looks like the smallest stone we can engrave is 3mm round .1 ct diamond, which is quite small. Perfect for hiding! :-)

more or less retired.
melvster

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:08:59 PM

Just a quick update. It looks like the smallest stone we can engrave is 3mm round .1 ct diamond, which is quite small. Perfect for hiding! :-)

Got any free samples? Tongue
BitDreams

Activity: 503

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:29:27 PM

Can you locate someone who grows their own gems? There is a company embedding keepsakes into stones, locks of hair, etc. Get a tie in with them to engrave.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:26:12 PM

And losing.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: