Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:07:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Schumer: It’s time to go after the 3-D printable guns  (Read 4354 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 08:15:30 PM

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/05/07/schumer-its-time-to-go-after-the-3-d-printable-guns/

The senator also proposed updating the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 — which bans guns that can defeat airport security metal detectors — to include printable gun magazines. Defense Distributed has a federal firearms manufacturers license, which Wilson sought after being questioned by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in 2012. That was shortly after a 3-D printer Wilson had rented was seized by its manufacturer over worries he’d violate the Undetectable Firearms Act. The law, which is set to expire this year, exempts licensed manufacturers to produce plastic guns for use as a models and prototypes.

“There’s no reason for a rifle receiver or a magazine to be, quote unquote, detectable,” Wilson says. “And to make this even worse, they’ll say: well it’s okay for manufacturers to make an undetectable receiver, but it’s just not okay for you to make it. It’s an attempt to regulate some gun parts under the guise of security.”
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:40:10 AM

as this technology progresses it will be covered more and more by the media. they'll use fear tactics to promote regulation on it and then eventually (after a major crime is committed with a printed weapon) they'll probably use it as an excuse to ban the technology (atleast for non-corporate use).

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 12:45:45 AM

Someone needs to encode the CAD file into the blockchain.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 12:49:06 AM

as this technology progresses it will be covered more and more by the media. they'll use fear tactics to promote regulation on it and then eventually (after a major crime is committed with a printed weapon) they'll probably use it as an excuse to ban the technology (atleast for non-corporate use).

Good luck enforcing that ban.  Cheesy

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:15:12 AM

Good luck enforcing that ban.  Cheesy

ya, bans didn't work well for alcohol and now drugs. i'm worried more that it will hold back the technology. i mean look at how far 3d printing has progressed just in the last few years, think where it'll be 30-40 years from now if it remains unhindered. if it keeps advancing at its current rate, it's entirely possible that a 3d printer could become a household item and revolutionize how we buy products.

who knows what the future will hold, but its a technology with so much potential. i'd hate to have its advancement stopped by something as silly as big brother protection.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:56:26 AM

The last thing someone in power wants to do is allow the 99% easy weaponry.  You don't conquer a people by arming them.  You first take control of the most expensive military in the world, and then use it against anyone who disagrees with you.  It's hard to do that when those people who disagree have the ability to fight back.  It's hard to look like the good guy when you can't rush to someone's rescue, someone you've disarmed without them knowing you've disarmed them.  You don't give people weapons; otherwise, they might get the idea that they can defend themselves.  They might even collaborate against you, the guy in charge--madness!  What fool on top would allow this?  Divide and conquer: repeat after me.  Divide and conquer.

hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:16:21 AM

ya, bans didn't work well for alcohol and now drugs. i'm worried more that it will hold back the technology. i mean look at how far 3d printing has progressed just in the last few years, think where it'll be 30-40 years from now if it remains unhindered. if it keeps advancing at its current rate, it's entirely possible that a 3d printer could become a household item and revolutionize how we buy products.

who knows what the future will hold, but its a technology with so much potential. i'd hate to have its advancement stopped by something as silly as big brother protection.

That's one of the major problems with government, the way they hold back technology and human progress.  I first began to notice this back in the late 90's, which was when I first began to wonder about the story we are told when we are young about government.  It being there for the good of us all and all that.

There's no way they are going to hold it back ultimately of course, but how much damage are they going to do in the interim period?

It will also be interesting to see how it develops in places other than the USA.  At least there is a kind of gun culture there.  Try even bringing up the topic of citizens owning guns in Australia and watch people completely freak.   Yes, we are that brainwashed.  It even took a while for me to break the brainwashing.  It is just that effective.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:32:04 PM

MakerBot.com makes it impossible to even ban the 3D printer itself as it is open source. It is a "crude" machine as of now but...
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:27:26 AM

Since you can use one 3d printer to make most of the parts for another 3d printer, a ban on them would be pretty futile.  One of the goals of the open source 3d printers is to be able to print a printer.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 12:33:39 AM

Since you can use one 3d printer to make most of the parts for another 3d printer, a ban on them would be pretty futile.  One of the goals of the open source 3d printers is to be able to print a printer.

Relevant:
http://craphound.com/?p=573

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 12:55:52 PM

Today this thread became reality.
hammz

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 06:48:39 PM

Schumer....is that Italian?

Feinstein is I think....
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:08:05 PM

Feinstein is I think....

This is America. Everybody came from somewhere one day, like the US president...
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 05:14:34 PM

Feinstein is I think....

This is America. Everybody came from somewhere one day, like the US president...
Who came here from Kenya. Grin

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:42:11 AM

Feinstein is I think....

Who came here from Kenya. Grin
Please do not insult my good Kenyan friends like that.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:47:54 AM

....if it keeps advancing at its current rate, it's entirely possible that a 3d printer could become a household item and revolutionize how we buy products.

more likely attempts to ban will simply increase exposure and awareness of the printers, and everyone will have to buy one.  Just like the recent explosion of sales in assault rifles when the pols started screaming about banning them.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 02:41:46 PM

Back in Soviet Union, all typewriters were registered and tracked by the government, and it was illegal to own one. You had to borrow one from the state. This was done to prevent any illegal publications, such as copies of banned books or underground newspapers.
Just saying...
SamuraiHP

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 03:07:46 PM

I don't really get the big fuss about the printed gun that's been doing the rounds on news websites lately...

Obviously the 3D printer is unable to produce the complex parts of a handgun... Clearly it can't just print gunpowder for you, or a mechanical part such as a spring... it can only print the 'static' parts like the outer casing, handle, barrel etc.

In that sense, we have always been able to make a home-made gun - all the 3d printer has achieved is to speed up / automate that process..

But 3D-printer or not, with a little bit of material (sheet metal, balsa wood, fibreglass, plastic or wateva) some basic tools and a whole lot of dedication, one could always produce the static 'chassis' that makes up a handgun.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 03:13:49 PM

Obviously the 3D printer is unable to produce the complex parts of a handgun... Clearly it can't just print gunpowder for you, or a mechanical part such as a spring... it can only print the 'static' parts like the outer casing, handle, barrel etc.

This one printed everything but the bullet and the firing pin (they used a nail). So all the complex mechanical parts, including the spring.
SamuraiHP

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 03:18:25 PM

it printed a compression spring??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: