Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:49:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Schumer: It’s time to go after the 3-D printable guns  (Read 4359 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:32:31 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 04:04:56 AM by Spendulus

Not the gun, the printing technology. It will be almost as hard to suppress as filesharing.
My little 3d printer hasn't done any firearms yet, but it certainly has made some interesting little things.  I like to make stuff that has several parts in a single pass.  Something about that is fundamentally interesting, as opposed to making parts and putting them together.

here's one design I've been mulling over, blue as a color simply will not do, though:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47541

By printing it yourself, you could defeat the low flow Al Gore Save the World Miserable Low Flow Showerhead (yes, he was responsible for these atrocities along with the nasty Internet).  You, too could have a showerhead that shot water like a firehose.

This is the future that awaits those who make their own cool stuff, instead of buying Gubbermint Approved Showerheads From Hell.  

Only one small example of the revolution that can be created by makers.  Or you could Embrace the Misery of the Collective of Low Flow Dribbling Showerheads and Save the World With Al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_XEZ7EY8hU
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:45:58 AM

Neat!

My showerhead works fine, though.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:54:33 AM

That is CLEARLY just a not-so-cleverly disguised front muzzle part of a blunderbuss. Stop spreading 3D printable gun components!
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:06:40 AM

That is CLEARLY just a not-so-cleverly disguised front muzzle part of a blunderbuss. Stop spreading 3D printable gun components!

I'm caught! Yes, my dream is for every home to have blunderbuss weaponry disguised as showerheads. 

LOL...
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:44:15 PM

Another handy dandy 3d printable item.  In the script, these were shipped to millions.  Think of the cost savings if everyone just printed them in their garage!  All the extra beer money!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23457
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 05:04:44 PM

Another handy dandy 3d printable item.  In the script, these were shipped to millions.  Think of the cost savings if everyone just printed them in their garage!  All the extra beer money!

Actually, I think that would have cut into people's beer money. I somehow doubt V sent them all COD. Cheesy

Still, very cool.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 07:08:58 PM

A rather time/period-appropriate face for the blunderbuss, too.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:53:37 PM

Another curious thing about three d printed stuff, it's like you show it to someone, if they like it you just let them keep it.  The stuff doesn't seem to have value like stuff you bought.  Because you just set another one to print before going to bed at night. Like the blunderbu---oops, ah...yeah...you know...the Anti-Gore Showerhead, it will run a couple of hours, but does not need to be watched or checked up on.

So how do you assign 'value' to something, if when you wake up you have another one?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

So how do you assign 'value' to something, if when you wake up you have another one?
That plastic wire ain't free, yo.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:25:10 PM

I think what will truly scare the living shit out of people is if someone manages to successfully 3D print a one shot rocket launcher or something.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:31:19 PM

I think what will truly scare the living shit out of people is if someone manages to successfully 3D print a one shot rocket launcher or something.

That's, uh, actually extremely easy. All you are printing is a tube, a battery holder, and a place to attach wires to launch the rocket. Even rockets are easy, as long as you have the chemical propellant and explosives. Guided rockets, that's a different story.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:34:09 PM

Um. I can tell you how to do that without a 3d printer.

The knowledge of how to make a rocket motor is easy to acquire, and a launcher is just a tube with an ignition system.

Now, making something as dangerous as an RPG? That's more difficult. But a simple rocket launcher is kitchen science.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:45:47 PM

Never mind then! I stand corrected! Tongue
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:51:27 PM

Um. I can tell you how to do that without a 3d printer.

The knowledge of how to make a rocket motor is easy to acquire, and a launcher is just a tube with an ignition system.

Now, making something as dangerous as an RPG? That's more difficult. But a simple rocket launcher is kitchen science.
Nothing to be considered easy or reliable, amateurs have been struggling with various issues on rocket motors and so forth for decades.  And the rpg or "bazooka" is far more specialized and dangerous to the operator.  No one should ever try to do that with anything home made.  Actual equipment, before the rocket even begins to leave the sleeve, the burn is over.  If not, it's right in your face...

In fact, the "3d printed gun" presents similar problems to the operator.  Who exactly says it can't come apart when fired?  Where are the engineering calculations and the proof of concept tests?  Would you want to be at a firing range and have someone take the bench next to you with one of those?  Not I....
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:59:45 PM

Nothing to be considered easy or reliable, amateurs have been struggling with various issues on rocket motors and so forth for decades.  And the rpg or "bazooka" is far more specialized and dangerous to the operator.  No one should ever try to do that with anything home made.  Actual equipment, before the rocket even begins to leave the sleeve, the burn is over.  If not, it's right in your face...

That's why you find a way to remotely set it off so it doesn't blow up in your face.

"A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode."
--Astronautics Magazine, 1937

Wise words Tongue
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:04:14 PM

Nothing to be considered easy or reliable....

Easy? Yes. Safe? Not really. Reliable? Hell no. And yeah, the best you're going to get is about the size and power of a very large bottle rocket. But I could make one in an afternoon, using cheap and easily available parts.

As for the safety and reliability of the printed gun, I've seen at least one picture with a scorched and broken frame, so they do fail eventually. It's not meant to be a target pistol. Cheesy

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

As for the safety and reliability of the printed gun, I've seen at least one picture with a scorched and broken frame, so they do fail eventually. It's not meant to be a target pistol. Cheesy

It worked in the video. Also, if you add a hole to slip a small laser pointer into, that would make the gun a hell of a lot more effective. You'll probably never even need to fire it.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 12:16:22 AM

It worked in the video. Also, if you add a hole to slip a small laser pointer into, that would make the gun a hell of a lot more effective. You'll probably never even need to fire it.
It's amazing how intimidating a red dot on someone's chest is.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:08:08 AM

Nothing to be considered easy or reliable, amateurs have been struggling with various issues on rocket motors and so forth for decades.  And the rpg or "bazooka" is far more specialized and dangerous to the operator.  No one should ever try to do that with anything home made.  Actual equipment, before the rocket even begins to leave the sleeve, the burn is over.  If not, it's right in your face...

That's why you find a way to remotely set it off so it doesn't blow up in your face.

"A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode."
--Astronautics Magazine, 1937

Wise words Tongue
Yep, that's about right.  I've seen amateur rockets explode.  From a mile away, and I thought that was just about the right distance...
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:12:23 AM

Nothing to be considered easy or reliable....

Easy? Yes. Safe? Not really. Reliable? Hell no. And yeah, the best you're going to get is about the size and power of a very large bottle rocket. But I could make one in an afternoon, using cheap and easily available parts.

You miss the central issue in alleging capability, with risk.  The issue is that correctly engineered and field tested items and equipment have plans, and those plans can in many cases, be used to produce said item on a home 3d printer.  This is engineering, not guessing.  For example, if a item is to be made from one plastic and another was originally used (say we use ABS on the 3d unit, but it was originally Delrin) that is something that requires study and calculations.  Same for substitution of a plastic part for metal, etc.

ONE mistake is too many.  Let's not go down the wrong road here.  Check the bolded sentence above and remember we are very early in the popularization of this technology...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: