Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:07:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get started using your GPU to mine for Bitcoins on Windows  (Read 96696 times)
LobsterMan (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 12:44:48 PM

A bit of shameless blog promotion....but I felt like writing up a proper guide to use bitcoin on windows since I couldn't really find anything like this

http://www.newslobster.com/random/how-to-get-started-using-your-gpu-to-mine-for-bitcoins-on-windows

Please feel free to critique and point out any errors or other problems, also please comment if you like it  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
romkyns

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 03:27:36 AM

Hi,

Followed the steps exactly as described there. Here's what I get when I try to run poclbm.exe:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "poclbm.py", line 5, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\__init__.pyc", line 3, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\_cl.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\_cl.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

This was also mentioned in http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1334.280 (with no definitive fix offered). Since you invited feedback on this guide... here it is Smiley The steps must be somewhat incomplete.

I'm running Win7 64-bit and have an HD5770. I have the latest driver but no ATI Stream SDK (but then the guide didn't ask for it... do I need it?)
m0mchil

Activity: 171
Merit: 127

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 06:38:35 AM

Search for 'GPU caps viewer' or other tool to check if your setup is OpenCL enabled. With AMD you need Stream SDK installed except you are using catalyst 10.10+, 'Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP)' flavor.

LobsterMan, please mention in your article 'GPU caps viewer' or something similar as a way to confirm OpenCL is working.

romkyns

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 03:34:47 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2010, 05:43:04 PM by romkyns

(post rewritten)

Here's what I did to get it to work:

- Run GPU Caps Viewer to confirm that there is no OpenCL on my system at the moment.
- Use Driver Sweeper to kill my old nVIDIA drivers (no idea if it would have worked without this step)
- Install ATI Stream SDK 2.2
- Reboot
- Verify in GPU Caps Viewer that OpenCL 1.1 is now installed.

Importantly, ATI Stream SDK 2.1 / OpenCL 1.0 did not work, with a very similar error message. Thanks to m0mchil who helped me out over PM! Getting 150M hash on my HD5770, which is pretty cool if the number isn't lying. The OS remains perfectly responsive.

LobsterMan, if you could, please mention in your steps that Radeon owners should install SDK version no lower than 2.2.
LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 05:33:49 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2010, 06:22:38 AM by LobsterMan

Added a link to http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/ on the blog post, also noted that my setup involved nvidia cards when writing the guide.

Are any additional steps aside from the sdk installation needed if someone is using amd/ati cards? Is this the link that I should post on my article? http://developer.amd.com/gpu/atistreamsdk/pages/default.aspx#five
My setup was done with nvidia gtx275 cards and I did not need to do anything "special" aside from obtaining recent drivers to get things working, thanks for pointing out that there are additional steps for ati users.

Also, thanks for the input, I'd like to have as complete a guide as possible  Grin

romkyns, also, if you could post a new comment saying that you got it to work on my site I would appreciate it  Wink
romkyns

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 08:34:54 PM

The link is correct, yes. It worked after I installed this SDK and rebooted. As I said, I also wiped my old nvidia drivers, but I don't know if this step was absolutely required because I didn't test the intermediate stage. Apart from that, no other steps were required.

I'll post a comment once a block gets generated Smiley So far got nothing; there was a 50% chance of having generated something in the last couple of days.
mlp

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 02:04:42 PM

Working - using nvidia GTS 240 - getting right at 26,000 khash/sec just from the GPU.

Got the same errors as Romkyns originally when trying to install by RDP.  GPU Caps confirmed it was not seeing the Nvidia card.  Walked over to the console and it saw the card and ran fine.

Thanks!
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 05:38:17 AM

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "poclbm.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\__init__.pyc", line 3, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\_cl.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "pyopencl\_cl.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

I followed your directions and I am getting this error.

When I try to run it from a batch file as you suggest all I get is a cmd window that flashes open and closed too fast to read anything in it. I went into my c:\bitcoin\poclbm_py2exe_20101218 directory and ran the "poclbm.exe --user=youruser --pass=yourpw" from the command prompt and got the above error. The bitcoin.conf file I placed in the Roaming\Bitcoin directory has those user and password values in it

Instead of running bitcoin -server I tried it with the bitcoind but when I run bitcoind I get a window that pops up telling me that the "mingwm10.dll" file is missing from my system and I should try reinstalling. That dll is present in the c:\bitcoin directory. Despite that I did reinstall as it suggested and the same thing happens.

Since both the above error and the bitcoind error mention a dll maybe it's the same problem. Any ideas on what I can try next?

Thanks.

Oh, I have an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT which I believe should be able to do this with no problem based on my card being on this benchmarks list that was posted. I'm running Win7 64 bit.

I ran the caps viewer as well and that looks fine as far as I can tell.

Prze_koles

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 08:54:18 AM

Have you installed newest driver? I had the same problem and downloading drivers solved it.

1FzTJh1C58m1gqnNzxLTt2ryNYkuk1YdfN
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 09:52:43 AM

Okay I think I'm in business. I downloaded and installed new drivers. I ran the batch file and it still didn't work, but the cmd window it flashed didn't flash quite so fast and I could read the name of my vid card in it at least. The I went back to the bitcoin\poclbm_etc directory and ran "poclbm.exe --user= etc" and that didn't work either, but it did give me another error that said:

No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following
  •      GeForce 9800 GT

Then I played around with that a bit until I got the syntax correct and then it asked me for my jsonrpc username and then password. I put them in, it chugged a bit and now it is giving me a khash/s value so I am good to go.

I also just rewrote my .bat file to read:

start /DC:\bitcoin\poclbm_py2exe_20101218 poclbm.exe --device=0 --user=youruser --pass=yourpw

and ran it again and it started without asking me the username etc, so it seems important to have the ---device bit before the rest of it.

LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2010, 06:59:54 AM

and ran it again and it started without asking me the username etc, so it seems important to have the ---device bit before the rest of it.

This may depend on your card... I launch mine via the batch script like:

start /DC:\Users\[username]\Desktop\poclbm_py2exe_20101218 poclbm.exe --user=user --pass=pass --device=0 -w 256

And it works...I guess your mileage may vary  Huh
sonihr

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

THE TIME HAS COME...

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 06:17:12 PM

I have done all in the tutorial and still my ati card doesnt show up only my quad core... any idea ?

What goes around comes around...
LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 11:58:24 PM

I have done all in the tutorial and still my ati card doesnt show up only my quad core... any idea ?

What do you mean "doesn't show up"? More info describing the exact problem you are having would be helpful.

Additionally, does anyone have any input regarding the use of the ati stream sdk 2.2 for amd devices? Some people in IRC today told me that 2.2 may not necessarily be the ideal choice or even necessary for use. I do not have an ati device to test this on and I would appreciate any feedback so that I can ensure my guide is as accurate as possible...
sonihr

THE TIME HAS COME...

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 09:20:56 AM

I managed to make progress. I now can see the card but the problem is that it make 0 khash..

What goes around comes around...
the_joey_o

Activity: 40

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 06:24:11 PM

What do you mean "doesn't show up"? More info describing the exact problem you are having would be helpful.

Additionally, does anyone have any input regarding the use of the ati stream sdk 2.2 for amd devices? Some people in IRC today told me that 2.2 may not necessarily be the ideal choice or even necessary for use. I do not have an ati device to test this on and I would appreciate any feedback so that I can ensure my guide is as accurate as possible...

I might be having the same problem as sonihr. When I try to execute the batchfile in the command prompt without indicating a device (excample: poclbm.exe --user=user1.user2 --pass=password --host=mining.bitcoin.cz --port=8332), I get the following message:

"No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

• AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor"

I think my video card is supposed to be showing up on this list. My video card is an ATI Radion HD3300. It's integrated onto my motherboard. I've updated Catatlyst to the latest suite, which includes OpenCL support and confirmed that I have OpenCL support with the GPU Caps Viewer. I've been using my CPU so far and it's been working at about 3100 khash/s. So, how do I choose my GPU, instead of my CPU?

Also, is it possible to use both my CPU and my GPU at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 11:55:32 PM

I might be having the same problem as sonihr. When I try to execute the batchfile in the command prompt without indicating a device (excample: poclbm.exe --user=user1.user2 --pass=password --host=mining.bitcoin.cz --port=8332), I get the following message:

"No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

• AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor"

I think my video card is supposed to be showing up on this list. My video card is an ATI Radion HD3300. It's integrated onto my motherboard. I've updated Catatlyst to the latest suite, which includes OpenCL support and confirmed that I have OpenCL support with the GPU Caps Viewer. I've been using my CPU so far and it's been working at about 3100 khash/s. So, how do I choose my GPU, instead of my CPU?

Also, is it possible to use both my CPU and my GPU at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to just use the CPU, the stock bitcoin client uses the CPU when you click "generate coins".

As far as onboard graphics...I'm not too sure, I would suggest trying using different numbers as arguments when you specify --device=X
For example, I have 2 graphics cards so I have one line that specifies --device=0 and then another for --device=1 to use both of my cards. Try changing the numbers around a little bit, maybe onboard graphics is device 1, or even 2?
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 12:06:28 AM

My video card is an ATI Radion HD3300

the HD3xxx doesn't support OpenCL (can't use my HD3870 for mining), you'll need at least a HD4xxx.

LobsterMan (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 01:42:59 AM

I managed to make progress. I now can see the card but the problem is that it make 0 khash..

It's possible you specified the wrong device number

did you try just using
Code:
--device=0
first?
sonihr

THE TIME HAS COME...

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:26:21 PM

yes device 0 is gpu not working and device 1 is working cpu