Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:50:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the testnet reset?  (Read 1583 times)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:37:11 PM

And I've bought and sold BBQcoins, which are supposed to be "just for fun."
Nothing wrong with selling those.

Here's another thread about selling bitcoin testnet coins:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168864.msg1758171#msg1758171

Yes, I have read such threads before.  I can see that it makes people mad.  I don't agree that that should or will stop everybody.

It's odd when "making a coin valuable" is an attack vector.

It shouldn't make people mad. For testnet to be useful, we need people to use it. For that to happen, the coins need to have some value to them.

Wait, why do we need to use testnet for anything other than testing?

TESTnet

IMHO they should run a cronjob somewhere that does whatever they need to do to reset testnet like every month or something.  

For testnet to be useful, it should simulate activities that people do with bitcoin. Since the devs are terrified of making any changes that might break Bitcoin, it makes sense to have a testnet that is Bitcoin on a smaller scale to test on. The devs aren't willing to make ambitious changes to Bitcoin, and if something goes wrong, point out that it's in beta.

That's exactly the thing. At this point everything satoshi said has become sacred and no one is willing to change anything on bitcoin. Because of that it's so hard to test so many things now because so much money depends on it. People literally freak out at the mention of changing anything. So lets do it with testnet. Testnet coins need value so that people care enough to test it hard-core.

Following your logic people should test on Bitcoin because it actually has a lot of value, but then you say that because of it devs are afraid to break something. If testnet coins have value, then the devs will be afraid to break it too. IMO testnet should mimic Bitcoin, and people will have the incentive to test on it because its a valueless copycat of a system which actually holds A LOT of value.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:52:58 PM

Why not?
Don't agree with testnet bitcoin rules? Make your own and stop crying.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: