Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:03:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many hacked polo accounts does it take for them to make 2fa mandatory?  (Read 2431 times)
Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 07:48:59 PM

Polo continually is getting hacked. User accounts without 2fa are the target. Value in said accounts is traded out to the attackers benefit.

Polo is complacent in this. They know and do nothing. They are enabling this to happen. Most likely they are insolvent and or are in on it. Very shaddy!

Its time for a class action lawsuit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
McWorse

Activity: 618
Merit: 292

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 07:53:39 PM

How many deaths in traffic does it take for you to fasten your seatbelt?

YOU CAN'T EAT BLOCKCHAINS!

... better enjoy some Yummy Recipes!
Kazkar

Activity: 784
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:00:37 PM

I completely agree.
This is the choice of everyone. And to force, does not make sense.
Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:01:25 PM

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a lollipop?

Ok lets stay on topic.

Polo and their complacency has exposed them to the possibility of a class action lawsuit.
Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:05:43 PM

I completely agree.
This is the choice of everyone. And to force, does not make sense.

Says the hacker..  Roll Eyes

Seriously, no 2fa, you might as well give the hacker your monies up front. Polo knows accounts keep getting hacked. They do nothing. Their complacency has opened them up to a lawsuit
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:14:00 PM

Polo continually is getting hacked. User accounts without 2fa are the target. Value in said accounts is traded out to the attackers benefit.

Polo is complacent in this. They know and do nothing. They are enabling this to happen. Most likely they are insolvent and or are in on it. Very shaddy!

Please....

Lawsuit because of stupid people?

People who gamble with ICOs are asking to get ripped off,
people who download all kinds of crap wallets/miners are asking to get hacked and
people who refuse to use 2FA are asking to get hacked - simple as that.

You can learn from other people's mistakes or you can learn the hard way. I learnt the hard way but I didn't blame the exchange, I blamed myself.

Like many other, Poloniex provides a simple service, it's like a tool. Educate people how to use said tools instead of blaming the tool itself.

Do you really think that people who are not using 2FA are making the necessary steps not to be hacked otherwise? Be it password security, antivirus, etc. They are all likely oblivious to all of this and you should educate them instead of blaming exchanges or other services.

Not your keys, not your coins!
McWorse

Activity: 618
Merit: 292

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:14:47 PM

You have a big, big amount of gold on your table.
When you go on vacation, do you leave your door open, or do you close it... ?

Feel free to leave your door wide open.
And after returning home and recognizing, that your gold is away:
Feel free to proclaim, that door manufacturers have to write on every door:
You better close it, when you leave!

I am sad about every lost because of hacking.
But:
Everyone has the chance of 2FA at Polo.

But in life, everyone is free in his decisions.
And some decisions are sometimes wrong.

Learn to walk alone!

YOU CAN'T EAT BLOCKCHAINS!

... better enjoy some Yummy Recipes!
stupid_seb

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:29:09 PM

Please....

Lawsuit because of stupid people?

People who gamble with ICOs are asking to get ripped off,
people who download all kinds of crap wallets/miners are asking to get hacked and
people who refuse to use 2FA are asking to get hacked - simple as that.

You can learn from other people's mistakes or you can learn the hard way. I learnt the hard way but I didn't blame the exchange, I blamed myself.

Like many other, Poloniex provides a simple service, it's like a tool. Educate people how to use said tools instead of blaming the tool itself.

Do you really think that people who are not using 2FA are making the necessary steps not to be hacked otherwise? Be it password security, antivirus, etc. They are all likely oblivious to all of this and you should educate them instead of blaming exchanges or other services.

You're speaking the truth @bathrobehero.
2FA is not complicated, and people should be educated. These tool are as powerful and as dangerous as the use you make of it.
Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:31:48 PM

You guys are funny.

Polo clearly isnt safe for accounts without 2fa.

Polo knows its site continually gets hacked by this type of attack.

Polo is guilty by allowing this to continue. Easy lawsuit win.

Edit. Polo also made and kept money from the fraud, ie transaction fees. Sounds guilty by association to me.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 09:07:17 PM

Polo and their complacency has exposed them to the possibility of a class action lawsuit.

Well, and what those claimants would ask for? Punishing Polo for their own ineptitude?
Haladay

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 09:22:05 PM

This is exactly what's happenning with polo's 2fa situation. The results never make people take an action about a problem. Never forget.
clardalan

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

Bitcoin amateur learning by doing

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 09:26:44 PM

>5000 dollar should be mandatory 2FA, or 2 day delayed transfers.

Tip/donate
LTC: Lf44EehvMzoyjnWqbmsxugomAnRzKawXu
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 12:53:43 AM

You guys are funny.

Edit. Polo also made and kept money from the fraud, ie transaction fees. Sounds guilty by association to me.

If anything, your mindset is what I find funny. Your famous US arrogance that some people over the pond have is seeping right through.

If you have a properly safe password and don't have a keylogger or session stealer you're fine.

AFAIK polo still requires you to click on a confirmation through an email link in case of a withdrawal so in order for anyone to get their funds stolen they would have to have both their Polo and their email compromised.

Lawsuit...   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

SimpeleSimpele

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 01:08:39 AM

you have proof, if this month poloniex account get hack
i have several poloniex account, use 2fa and without 2fa, all my account is safe without problem
pumpmydump

Activity: 151
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 04:01:06 AM

You guys are funny.

What you don't seem to understand is that it isn't Poloniex that gets hacked, it is the computers and/or emails of the account holders that get compromised, allowing the hackers to get their Poloniex password and compromise their accounts.

You are the one enabling yourself to get hacked when you don't use 2fa, Poloniex isn't there to protect your computer/email from hackers.
Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 04:42:26 AM

The victim blaming here is over the top. Dangerous products get recalled all the time. This is a repeat issue.

Of note, mine happened end of may, this guy just recently. Polo allows this to happen or is in on it.

Same exact shit happened to me.

Polo is in on it, I guarantee it 100%

This happened at the end of may. They ultimately traded out my 600 litecoins to fucking qora, first to btc, then xmr.

Polo is like swiss cheese.

Actually Im very certain it was one of the help desk fucktards as I had contacted support a week prior. I had this particular account for maybe two weeks before it was hacked the exact same way as yours.

If polo is this insecure, why the hell haven't they fixed this problem. Make 2fa mandatory.

Polo is probably insolvent, and hence hacking users accounts using this method. Their response is always, its your fault not ours.

Fuck them

Hi Guys,

First of please be nice and constructive. I had my fortune stolen away and I am at a very bad place, infact I am depressed ($17000 worth of my savings that took me more than 8 years to save). I would appreciate if you guys can give me honest suggestions of what to do or if there is any chance Poloniex will refund me for the hack that happened.

So here is what happened as I sent email to Poloniex but they have not responded to me yet:

TICKET NUMBER # 273741

Dear Poloniex,
My account was hacked this morning at 2:50 am BST (british standard time). I am devastated as I had upwards of $17000 worth of portfolio of coins. Someone logged into my account, converted all the coins to BTC first, then to BCN, then he went on to a very illiquid BCN/XMR and started buying high and selling very low at huge spreads. I suspect he was on the other side of the trade to profit from it. I am sure you can easily find out who the culprit by checking on the other side of the trade.
Please check the activity between 2:50 am - 3:00 am BST (british standard time). This is a clear theft where your site has been hacked to gain access to my account and upwards of $17000 was stolen from my account.
I have contacted the Attorney General at your state who has advised me to contact you directly first before taking it further with him.
I have the evidence of the email I received at 2:50 am BST, the ip address where it was logged in from and I have also downloaded the transactions to prove it.
Please look into this issue asap and get back to me please. This is my hard earned savings over past 7 years and I will leave no stone unturned to get this resolved.
Thanks

So here is the email above. Please suggest what to do, I have also reported it to Police and action fraud. I did not have 2FA. I did not use this password on any other sites.
I know I am very silly not to have 2FA. This thread is all about what options I have, please suggest.

Thanks in advance

Staff can steal it then play dumb.. Implying hackers.
Perfect crime.. It would impossible to catch the staff doing it because they all operate with 0 transparency.
Think about it people.. I am just pointing out common sense.

Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 04:48:30 AM

In case any of you were wondering. I boot from a live linux cd before any exchange activity or email and reboot inbetween steps.

And just randomly the account gets hit right after contacting customer support.

I still have the qora in my account, that is evidence of a crime. If they delete it they are destroying evidence.

Polo also made and kept the transaction fees from the theft.

Thats pretty fucked up to make money off of a theft.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 09:19:46 AM

In case any of you were wondering. I boot from a live linux cd before any exchange activity or email and reboot inbetween steps.

I still have the qora in my account, that is evidence of a crime. If they delete it they are destroying evidence.

I don't believe you. Why not just use 2FA instead of this nonsense then? Unless you use a unique, otherwise unused email, with a unique password, it's a useless excercise.

You have to have your email hacked to allow the hacker to recover your poloniex password and do the deed.

sud

Activity: 826
Merit: 301

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 12:48:27 PM

Some people will never learn.
Peanutbutterpolka (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 01:45:38 PM

I don't believe you. Why not just use 2FA instead of this nonsense then? Unless you use a unique, otherwise unused email, with a unique password, it's a useless excercise.

You have to have your email hacked to allow the hacker to recover your poloniex password and do the deed.

If my email was hacked then why not just withdraw the whole amount? They didn't withdraw anything. Just a transfer to btc then, to xmr, then to qora which they left me a bag full of, and they got the xmr and out the door with their account.

The email was new, the polo acc was new. The polo account was maybe two weeks old and began with an A.
I believe that they hacked polo, and got a list of non 2fa accounts and started alphabeticaly at the top.

Youre right, why not just use 2fa? That is what Im arguing. Why is it NOT mandatory? Polo is like swiss cheese. They know this yet wont dont change their policy.

Read my spoetnik quote in my last post.

Polo is not secure and is not trust worthy. And I believe have opened themselves up to a lawsuit.

Don't yall have consumer protection across the pond? I bet you do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: