Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:35:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What wallet to use?  (Read 696 times)
Wanderer07 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:07:44 PM

I've recently signed up to Mt.Gox, deposited my funds and bought btc. All great and very exciting. The problem is I don't even have a bitcoin wallet nor do I know how to withdraw from Mt.Gox!

Any suggestions on what is the most secure wallet to go for? I don't expect to use funds from the wallet weekly but would like the facility to spend and trade as and when I want/need. Also as I'm with Mt Gox is there any way of transfering directly into a wallet? And likewise to a bank?

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:54:52 PM

most people just use the stranded wallet from bitcoin.org just make sure you password it or "encrypt it"

mt gox is pretty noob friendly so go into your mtgox account go to "funding options" then in line with the funding option will be "add funds" withdraw funds" and "Redeem Codes" click "withdraw funds" and once you get your new wallet address from which ever wallet you decide to use paste the wallet address into "bitcoin Address" type the amount you want to transfer "also recommended you use the "Pay 0.0005BTC Fee For Faster Processing (Required for Transactions below 0.01 BTC)" as it speeds the transaction up helps the network and dosnt stick you at the bottom of a rather long que

bitcoin.org (dowload wallet takes along time to download the BLOCKCHAIN and requires a fair amount of Harddrive space
Blockchain.info online wallet simple sign up (make sure to use a strong password) based in the UK Smiley
there are others and im sure someone will post a list XD

phrackage

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:02:04 PM

Make sure you do backups of your wallet and the bitcoin directory (blockchain) itself, when it gets corrupted it can be a pain
RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:15:32 PM

Check this helpful table of recommended clients:

http://dre.natverk.org/compare.html

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:19:45 PM

Any suggestions on what is the most secure wallet to go for?

Most secure wallet?  I'd say a "paper wallet". In other words, private keys and addresses written down on a piece of paper and securely stored. It is impossible to hack into a piece of paper over the internet.

I don't expect to use funds from the wallet weekly but would like the facility to spend and trade as and when I want/need.

If this isn't for long term storage, then you might want to look into Armory.  It is "air gapped" for improved security over other electronic wallets, but adds convenience over a "paper wallet".  If you don't have the resources to keep a computer offline, then consider Bitcoin-Qt (the reference client).  Bitcoin-Qt does require that you have lots of disk space available (10 GB at least) and needs to synchronize with the network every time you start it up (which can take quite a while if you don't start it up very often).

If all that is too inconvenient for you, then consider Electrum, MultiBit, or blockchain.info/wallet.  The security of all three of them is pretty similar, and they each have their own "quirks".  You'll have to look into each and decide which best fits your needs and which you most prefer using.

Also as I'm with Mt Gox is there any way of transfering directly into a wallet?

Yes. You'll find it in the "Funding Options" section under "Withdraw Funds".

And likewise to a bank?

Yes. You'll find "Add Withdraw Method" in the "Funding Options" section under "Withdraw Funds".  If you click on that, you'll see "Bank Transfer".
Wanderer07 (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:17:01 AM

Thanks all really appreciate all your advice. I'm going down the paper route for now as I'm taking a long term approach with this one!
ben62884

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:49:35 AM

http://HTTP://blockchain.info
pitan

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:02:27 AM

Check this helpful table of recommended clients:

http://dre.natverk.org/compare.html

Link not working  Embarrassed
chauncywicks

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:22:04 AM

bitcoin-qt if you have enough space on your C: to dl the blockchain
barfor

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:40:54 AM

I like the hybrid blockchain.info myself
bucktotal

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:02:27 PM

i found the bitcoin-qt wallet incredibly slow to load. and this was annoying if i was in any sort of rush (didn't have at least 20min to wait around).

now i use the Multibit wallet. i think its great. very fast. nice GUI.

i also use a blockchain wallet for small amounts on the go because i can access it from anywhere.
ommfpt

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:07:26 PM

I prefer armory. Seems very secure, easy to back up.

My general use though is an old android phone with a btc wallet on it. I keep it offline except to send btc to my armory wallet, or just to update my balance when I send btc there. I turn it on, connect it, let it sync, then create five or six receiving addresses, and use them each in turn. It feels pretty safe. Of course there's risk, but the wallet is set up to return change to the sending address, and I can backup the private key.
eteam

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:59:08 PM

Lately i've been using the multibit client (https://multibit.org/). It is light for the PC and gets synchronized fast with the network.
Alesfatalis

Activity: 83

Node.js | Java | C Developer

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:17:51 PM

Im using bitcoin-qt. It has a nice and simple user interface  Wink
tom1

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:21:22 PM

https://www.blockchain.info is secure and has a lot of advanced features.

Alesfatalis

Activity: 83

Node.js | Java | C Developer

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:26:51 PM

https://www.blockchain.info is secure and has a lot of advanced features.

I think he doesn't search for an online wallet  Wink
adi

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:12:59 PM

I trust encrypted Bitcoin-QT for local and Coinbase for Cloud Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: