Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:57:58 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin needs to be simplified for the stupid.  (Read 7600 times)
CanadianGuy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:11:24 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 04:01:24 AM by CanadianGuy

One of the big barriers with Bitcoin is that the majority of its users and developers are, to put it bluntly, ignorant computer nerds.  They are extremely smart, yet completely ignorant to what the average person is capable of (no offense, its an impairment of social interaction and nothing to be ashamed of!) .  Even with a seemingly simple system, like bitcoinATM, it is dependent on the assumption that a user knows what the difference between a public key and a private key is.  The general public still finds the basics of this system confusing.  There should be a very big priority in ensuring that Grandma knows how to send bitcoins.  Wouldn't that be a HUGE step?  To be able to say "She can't open a e-mail, but she can send bitcoins!" would be evolution.  That's what bitcoin needs to be.  This simplification would magnify the potential by 1000 times.  

Not sure how this would be done.  It will take somebody who is not just technically smart, but extremely creative as well.  How can we make bitcoin as simple as pulling out your physical wallet?  And don't tell me "there's an iphone app for that!", because Grandma is still rotary dialing.  

I believe if you can make it simple enough that even Grandma can use it, then you are opening up some pretty big fucking doors for Bitcoin.

So what's next in the simplification of Bitcoin?
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:15:17 PM

Smart cards, see sig Wink

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
SilverandBitcoins

Activity: 187

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:29:33 PM

Bitcoin really does need to be easier.  For God's sake - it's people's hard earned money.  Who would want to risk losing their money with the click of a mouse?  I agree with the OP on most things, although I do have to give credit to the geeks who have been very patient and nice (I'm somewhat ignorant with computers) on this board, the LTC, and the PpC boards over the past month.  Thanks to all of them.

Cause, I aint proud - BTC: 1DyXSR8nsB56yhTUhR5HMKLzB6UpytiWnK
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 05:20:25 PM

If it was easier then that would allow more fraud to take place. If people can't go to a website and open a free Wallet then they shouldn't be handling finances on the internet anyway.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:22:43 PM

Bitcoin really does need to be easier.  For God's sake - it's people's hard earned money.  Who would want to risk losing their money with the click of a mouse?  I agree with the OP on most things, although I do have to give credit to the geeks who have been very patient and nice (I'm somewhat ignorant with computers) on this board, the LTC, and the PpC boards over the past month.  Thanks to all of them.

I am preaching to the choir here but the exchange process from fiat to BTC and back again is so painfully complex and wrought with risk that it is no wonder that adoption is limited to the very technical right now. Wallet security is also complex and burdensome. I always rate consumer adoption ease based on a formula   - the amount of hours it would take to explain it to my mother in law * the amount of hours per week I would spend helping her after she started using it (the lower the number the better) eg and Iphone is about is about a 1 or a 2 - Bitcoin would be in the 100's
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:38:03 PM

Yes, we need way more of steps in the direction to simplify things.

Small suggestion:
I don't know if they exist yet, but I think there should also be "Payment-Request"-QR-Codes.
Like you scan them and get a prompt with a message "Pay 1.337 BTC?" (+value in $/€) and all you have to do is click yes or no.
Only for small amounts though, higher amounts should be typed in manually.

CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:38:28 PM

If it was easier then that would allow more fraud to take place. If people can't go to a website and open a free Wallet then they shouldn't be handling finances on the internet anyway.

I'm talking about something so easy, you virtually take the internet right out of it (or at least keep that part hidden from the user interface).  Just because we are making it easier doesn't mean we have to sacrifice security.  Last time I checked, grandma's safety deposit box was guarded pretty heavily.  
CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:40:00 PM

Smart cards, see sig Wink

I like this idea.  It's too bad there has been such little development with that Sad
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 05:42:03 PM

I'm sure there will be companies offering Automated BitCards for withdrawals and purchases before too long. Sort of like pre-paid ATM cards.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:45:30 PM

I'm sure there will be companies offering Automated BitCards for withdrawals and purchases before too long. Sort of like pre-paid ATM cards.

that's when things will really take off I think..
they could be preloaded before being sold, like a gift card
ewitte

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:45:45 PM

Keep it complicated it keeps the competition low - Actually make it MORE complicated Cheesy

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:47:48 PM

Yes, we need way more of steps in the direction to simplify things.

Small suggestion:
I don't know if they exist yet, but I think there should also be "Payment-Request"-QR-Codes.
Like you scan them and get a prompt with a message "Pay 1.337 BTC?" (+value in $/€) and all you have to do is click yes or no.
Only for small amounts though, higher amounts should be typed in manually.

it's already part of the uri scheme (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/URI_Scheme). You can put an amount into a bitcoin payment uri.

edit: needless to say you can make a qr-code representing such uri.

side-note: try blockchain.info wallet "create payment request". It allows to enter an amount and produces a qr-code.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:48:51 PM

This. OP's expectation for ease of use is entirely unreasonable.

If grandma is truly too stupid (which usually translates into too willfully ignorant and stubborn) to even use friggin' web-based email, she shouldn't be using bitcoin in the first place.

That's a little like complaining that purchasing, maintaining and driving a car is too difficult for a 4-year-old. Good, it should be. He can enjoy the perks of such a tool when he's mature enough to handle all that, and to worry in the meantime that cars may be too complex for the general public based on his lack of ability is unwarranted.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
ewitte

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:53:19 PM

Exactly you should be driving until your at least 8 Cheesy  that was a j/k but an 8 year old may be less dangerous than an 80+ yo that has a license

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:02:57 PM

Grandma will never be able to use Bitcoin directly.  However, she may be able to use services built on top of Bitcoin that are purposefully built to be extremely easy to use and extremely secure/forgiving.  For instance, those services might only pay verified vendors, so that grandma can't accidentally pay a scammer.

Now, if you're saying that grandma can't even use a computer (which, let's face it, if she can't use email, she can't use a computer), then you'd be looking at physical services built on top of Bitcoin that are easy to use and extremely secure/forgiving.  But this will be a long time coming, because it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure to build and maintain.  You'd be looking at the VISA equivalent of Bitcoin.  And actually, it might look a lot like the current VISA system, with swipable cards with pin numbers or signatures required, and the payment network on the hook for cases of merchant fraud.  Problem is, the payment network wouldn't have any way to reverse the fraud in the case of Bitcoin, so they might not actually send payment until the merchant does some basic verifications with them, etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Building a better Bitcoin isn't the problem, it's just a matter of building a system on top of Bitcoin that can do what is necessary to make Bitcoin accessible to grandma.  Or altering the existing system to be compatible with Bitcoin (which might honestly be much easier, if Bitcoin is looked at just like cash from a banking perspective).
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:06:44 PM

someone needs to make a really really good INFOGRAPHIC
someone should commission theoatmeal

ok
Surpbitcoin

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

https://www.udemy.com/

I send all my "simple minded" friends here. Seems to work for them!
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:17:15 PM

Same for the Internet! No one understands how it works and so noone uses this technology. How do you say: "I think the break through of 'the internet' will never come, because it's to complicated".

The main issues are the usability of the clients and the credibility of the "experts". If you can trust these experts that Bitcoin is no fraud, then everything is ok.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:20:12 PM

Bitcoin is complicated, get used to it ... it is way easier to use now than it was in mid-2010 ... it will be way easier to use in 2015.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. All this "someone should" BS ... just go and do it already!!! Is this the entitled mob showing up?

tl;dr stop whinging if you are not creating solutions.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:29:54 PM

I agree with SgtSpike. Bitcoin is just a protocol. It is not meant to be used directly by people. Organizations will use bitcoin as the basis for their offerings just like how banks use SWIFT to move money around. So bitcoin won't take off until people start building on top of it. The real money is in doing that - making it accessible to ordinary people.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that bitcoin has a long way to go yet. If you take a look at the leading Internet based payment systems you get Paypal and then the rest. Despite trying for all these years paypal alternatives have still not captured a large share of the market. I thing it would be a major milestone if bitcoin got as large as skrill or payza.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: