Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:58:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello :) What's everyone's favorite Alt Coin?  (Read 1248 times)
AlternativeCypt (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:44:02 AM

I'm interested in YACoin right now, although it's a classic pump and dump.

What's up with everyone else?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FocusMedia

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:59:22 AM

Litecoin, only one I am really interested in.
red914

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:01:09 AM

Litecoin but I really haven't looked at any other alt coins. I guess Namecoin is ok since I get them free while mining for Bitminter.
neiq

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:09:12 AM

litecoin seems to me to be the only one with traction as of now maybe feather coin but ftc not worth my rig power as of yet
Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 03:49:10 AM

Litecoin for the time being.

Maybe Namecoin in the near future...

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
astralvoid

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:51:27 AM

LTC because it seems to have the better payout for now..
AlternativeCypt (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:51:37 AM

Litecoin is hardly alternative being around and furnished so well, although I do agree it's the most solid 'alt'
claycoins

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:53:22 AM

BBQ

astralvoid

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:54:02 AM

It seems that BTC-e has added most of the newer alt coins to the trading engine.
bdecgnbo

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:55:14 AM

Do not know what will rise?
ilostcoins

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:56:08 AM

By favourite, you mean candidate for short term pump-and-dump?  Smiley

I agree with others about litecoin being the most viable alternative to bitcoin.

LTC: LSyqwk4YbhBRtkrUy8NRdKXFoUcgVpu8Qb   NVC: 4HtynfYVyRYo6yM8BTAqyNYwqiucfoPqFW   TAG id: 4313
CMC: CAHrzqveVm9UxGm7PZtT4uj6su4suxKzZv   YAC: Y9m5S7M24sdkjdwxnA9GZpPez6k6EqUjUt
Swapster

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:10:09 AM

What is the diff between Litecoin and Bitcoin? I know LC is a fork of BTC but is there any benefit to one over the other or is it just hype?
Emm29

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:18:58 AM

I go for Litecoin. For the sake of security, I install the full client software for Bitcoin and Litecoin in separate user accounts on my computers. It's getting to be a hassle to install yet another wallet program, so unless one of the other alt coins gets as big of a market cap as Litecoin I'm satisfied with throwing my investment dollars into just the two main cryptocurrencies. Besides, I've made a pretty good gain off of Litecoin as I bought when they were worth less than 10 cents each.

Replying to Swapster's question: I think Litecoin is useful as a way of anonymizing your money trail. If you sell your bitcoins for litecoins and then buy back bitcoins, it'd be really hard for someone to track where your coins came from. Other than that, maybe Litecoin is good to keep around as a back-up for Bitcoin.

- E
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:22:07 AM

What is the diff between Litecoin and Bitcoin? I know LC is a fork of BTC but is there any benefit to one over the other or is it just hype?

What is the difference between USD and EUR?

A currency is about the people supporting it. You can't just say "oh, this one have this [cool feature] so it gains +5$!". It's not about features, it's about the network of people supporting it.

Litecoin is gaining ground simply because GPU miners are still alive. They want to mine, and if Bitcoin can't keep them around, they'll simply go somewhere else. GPU miners are slowly migrating towards Litecoin since it's the only currency that is similar enough to Bitcoin while being on another algorithm to protect them from the ASICs. More different people are getting Litecoin (by mining or buying) so the network gets bigger, giving value to the currency.

As for the other alt-currencies, I wish them good luck. The failure rate is pretty high since most of them are too focused on the spec sheet without giving any taught to develop the network of people supporting it.
kalon

Activity: 45

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:44:03 AM

Of the ones I've looked at I like Peer Coin the most. I think, long term, its economics make it more likely to be a useful real world currency. It's still a work in progress but the community seems quite good.

What I'm not into is these Johnny-come-lately altcoins that offer little in the way of difference to the coin they were spun of from and cannot make any compelling argument for why they are better.

Getting in to  coin for speculation may be interesting, perhaps even useful to a point but I'm most keen on a coin which would have real world use in a global economy for the extent of my life and far beyond.
Xanthe

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:51:19 AM

I'm a Litecoin fan. I think it has the greatest chance of success among all of the alt-coins at this point in time. Bitcoin is great (and of course the most valuable), but the transaction times drive me crazy. Earlier, I made a transaction and it took almost two hours to complete (six confirmations). Litecoin's faster transaction times give it a distinct advantage, I'd say, when it comes to actually being used as a currency.

There are other, more innovative alt-coins out there and I do think they deserve some recognition. Unfortunately, however, the general population does not look at the technical merits of what lies under the hood of a coin. They seem to look only at its value and utility.
AlternativeCypt (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:59:23 AM

Of the ones I've looked at I like Peer Coin the most. I think, long term, its economics make it more likely to be a useful real world currency. It's still a work in progress but the community seems quite good.

What I'm not into is these Johnny-come-lately altcoins that offer little in the way of difference to the coin they were spun of from and cannot make any compelling argument for why they are better.

Getting in to  coin for speculation may be interesting, perhaps even useful to a point but I'm most keen on a coin which would have real world use in a global economy for the extent of my life and far beyond.

It's a good way to inch profits a few 5 or 10% per week on BTCE
theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:26:55 AM

i see lots of value in BBQcoins

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
Rascal

Activity: 16
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:46:53 AM

Litecoin, if the creator will cancel the mandatory fee(0.1LTC).
AlternativeCypt (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:47:41 AM

Litecoin, if the creator will cancel the mandatory fee(0.1LTC).

That's actually going to be quite expensive if LTC hits GOX
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: