Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:29:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: YAC - The best altcoin up 'til now  (Read 2303 times)
limitless (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:50:54 AM

Seriously. This was cpu only, so there wasn't any one guy with shitload of mining rigs ready to mine it.

This is the people's coin. And the logo is really nice.

Everyone should have Yak's

Yak is for me and for you.

Yak is for everybody.

Smiley

My yacoin giveaway: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199716.0 - Need more people to donate in order to keep it going.
My yacoin bounty thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200252.0 - If you want to add bounties, just post here.
YAC address: YKmZSWKiqc9MPzmZ89SAwyXM4wSQqoQE3J
lumpycustard

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:03:51 AM

There was at least one guy with a university cluster going hard.  No GPU just means less efficient, not much else.
limitless (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:05:41 AM

Also a new scrypt algorythm.. uuuuh sexy!

What's a university cluster ?Smiley

GPU will be implemented, later.

This is just like litecoin in the beginning. The first coin of it's kind Smiley

It's not a copy of anything Smiley

My yacoin giveaway: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199716.0 - Need more people to donate in order to keep it going.
My yacoin bounty thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200252.0 - If you want to add bounties, just post here.
YAC address: YKmZSWKiqc9MPzmZ89SAwyXM4wSQqoQE3J
lumpycustard

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:09:57 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computer+cluster
Xanthe

Activity: 72

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:31:53 AM

I do like the logo as well, does anyone know where it came from?

What's a university cluster ?Smiley

Most Universities maintain computing clusters which are essentially a lot of powerful computers all connected together. It's usually possible to petition for time using the machines so that you can do computationally intensive stuff (in this case YAC mining). I don't recommend trying to use University resources for such a thing. Wink
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:38:35 AM

It's always a matter of "could've" ... I could have signed up for 10x cc2.8xlarge spot instances off of amazon once I saw that announcement, but didn't. For any one that wants to try that, it's probably uneconomical now that hashpower has probably increased a hundredfold.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
96redformula

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:39:22 AM

I am loving yacoin right now.  It is the first coin I have started right and I have had such great luck.
ymer

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:40:52 AM

I think the launch was very sudden (watched the thread for days with no updates then next day I woke up and I was 6 hours late) and the main node was too far away from me so had only orphans. Other than that it's the "best" release since LTC I guess.
jimhsu

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:42:35 AM

Will agree that aside from the time, the release was well executed. No crazy clusters mining the thing at the start (probably because it's CPU only, and totally different so that people can't just click on their cgminer shortcut to start mining), no giant starting block rewards, minimum BS in announcements, etc.

Looking forward to seeing where this coin goes in relation to LTC.

All we need is a pool, I guess. Solo mining is starting to be less realistic now.

mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:53:49 AM

There was at least one guy with a university cluster going hard.  No GPU just means less efficient, not much else.

you mean the creator and his botnet Wink

96redformula

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:57:41 AM

Will agree that aside from the time, the release was well executed. No crazy clusters mining the thing at the start (probably because it's CPU only, and totally different so that people can't just click on their cgminer shortcut to start mining), no giant starting block rewards, minimum BS in announcements, etc.

Looking forward to seeing where this coin goes in relation to LTC.

All we need is a pool, I guess. Solo mining is starting to be less realistic now.

Bah, still going strong w/ solo mining here.  Well, decent I should say.  A block every 2-3 hours.
jimhsu

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:01:08 AM

"Starting". It would be unwise to wait until solo mining takes weeks to find a block to launch a pool.

Xanthe

Activity: 72

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:11:35 AM

Bah, still going strong w/ solo mining here.  Well, decent I should say.  A block every 2-3 hours.

I'm seeing about the same here. One or two blocks every 2 hours. The block reward sure has dropped, too. My first block was 89.43... My last block just now was only 36.66. Cry
96redformula

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:16:56 AM

I'm seeing about the same here. One or two blocks every 2 hours. The block reward sure has dropped, too. My first block was 89.43... My last block just now was only 36.66. Cry

Sounds like we have had about the same luck Smiley.  First first block reward was just under 95.
kelvinhsu

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:43:47 AM

i can't mine
Hmoobyaj87

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:45:17 AM

encrypted my wallet and now I can't mine. Undecided
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:56:15 AM

encrypt = buggy = YACKY
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:03:30 AM

Won't it be hard to manage the network if it ever gets really big?
0150r

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:05:38 AM

It's a pretty close copy of NovaCoin...if you don't believe me, try to open the wallet twice, it even says "NovaCoin" right on it.
Boba

Activity: 101

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:21:38 AM

It's a pretty close copy of NovaCoin...if you don't believe me, try to open the wallet twice, it even says "NovaCoin" right on it.

Litecoin was a copy of Bitcoin, only noteworthy thing that was changed was the hashing algorithm. How fast coins are generated and how many in total is really irrelevant.
Yacoin also just changed the hashing algorithm so that it could be CPU friendly at start. And with the preannouncement of start it was more fair than any other altcoin till now, only coin start that was more fair was bitcoin itself. And the bugs of Yacoin will be sorted out if the coin survives, and I think it will, since there was absolutely no premine (20 mins after launch it was on block 49) and a day later you are still able to solo mine it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: