Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:46:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the High Rejects for New Coins?  (Read 740 times)
furuknap (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:42:38 AM

I've been playing around with solo mining some of the new coins popping up, mostly to learn how it works for an upcoming book.

I find blocks all the time, I have a reasonable amount of connections, but still get rejects for about 95% of blocks on new coins.

What causes the high reject rates while solo mining?

.b

Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:43:53 AM

hundreds of other people finding a block at the same time as you... only one can stick

Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:44:29 AM

Easy difficulty.

Problem is if you are far away from the major nodes, you are screwed (like me).

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

furuknap (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:48:35 AM

hundreds of other people finding a block at the same time as you... only one can stick

Is there a lag-time from when someone finds a block and the network picks it up?

Take RYC right now. Blocks solve around every 1 minute. The odds of someone finding a block at exactly the same second as I do in 95% of the cases seem at first glance to be too much of a coinsidence.

I know it's happening, I just don't understand why.

Do you have any technical references or links? I tried googling and searching the forums here, but couldn't find anything descriptive.

.b

Hazard
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:50:27 AM

Is there a lag-time from when someone finds a block and the network picks it up?

Take RYC right now. Blocks solve around every 1 minute. The odds of someone finding a block at exactly the same second as I do in 95% of the cases seem at first glance to be too much of a coinsidence.

I know it's happening, I just don't understand why.

Do you have any technical references or links? I tried googling and searching the forums here, but couldn't find anything descriptive.

.b
as far as i understand it, the block has to be propogated across the network and accepted by the majority of clients to be considered accepted. so your block was just slower than someone elses if you got a reject.

furuknap (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:51:50 AM

as far as i understand it, the block has to be propogated across the network and accepted by the majority of clients to be considered accepted. so your block was just slower than someone elses if you got a reject.

That sounds reasonable, but I seem to get rejected the same second I find a block.

.b

Hazard
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:55:10 AM

That sounds reasonable, but I seem to get rejected the same second I find a block.

.b
it all happens in the blink of an eye... if you go to google.cn youre sending data and receiving a reply in under a tenth of a second to china.. quite amazing when you think about it

anyway, same scenario for bitcoin... you might have a latency of 50ms to the network but someone else might have 40ms..

furuknap (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 08:58:53 AM

it all happens in the blink of an eye... if you go to google.cn youre sending data and receiving a reply in under a tenth of a second to china.. quite amazing when you think about it

Not really, considering how fast electricity moves :-)

anyway, same scenario for bitcoin... you might have a latency of 50ms to the network but someone else might have 40ms..

That would imply they found the solution to my block within 10ms of me finding mine.

However, I think I see what's happening, as the new block detection only pings every minute, possibly just by default. As such, my miner will mine for a minute, not knowing whether there is a new block.

In other words, if there is really a block every 6 seconds, on average my miner will find a rejected share 9 out of 10 times. The slower the rate of blocks, the lower the rate of rejects.

Does this make sense?

.b

Hazard
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 09:02:26 AM

well theres miner configs that are better suited to mining new blocks ive been told. youre supposed to set a bunch of the values really low. queue time and expiry are two of them i think.

and when difficulty is low blocks are solved near instantly so its very likely people are finding blocks at the same time as you. i am not an expert on this though Smiley

furuknap (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 09:06:55 AM

well theres miner configs that are better suited to mining new blocks ive been told. youre supposed to set a bunch of the values really low. queue time and expiry are two of them i think.

and when difficulty is low blocks are solved near instantly so its very likely people are finding blocks at the same time as you. i am not an expert on this though Smiley

Seems I found it in the readme. The -s parameter (scan) sets how many seconds cgminer waits between new block detection.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :-)

.b

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: