Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:35:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powerbackup For Antminers ?  (Read 542 times)
bitcoinfuck (OP)

Activity: 634
Merit: 106

Europe Belongs To Christians

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:04:04 PM

hello,

what you do if you have powercut ?

in india I  have many power cuts a day, upto 4 hours per day.

suggest me a good and cheap powerbackup solution for 4 X antminer L3+ & 2 X 1000 Watt Desktops

[/url]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:15:52 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2017, 10:13:09 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Given that you are talking about over 6kw of power there are no 'cheap' backup solutions.

With the length of time between power coming back the only choice would be traditional (and big) battery-backed UPS's along with an automatically switched generator made to be used as permanent backup power. The UPS(s) keep the systems alive until the generator kicks in. Typical portable generators have terrible voltage regulation and waveforms making them no good for electronics whereas generators designed for permanent installations generally have far better specifications and provide clean reasonably stable power.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:31:05 PM

hello,

what you do if you have powercut ?

in india I  have many power cuts a day, upto 4 hours per day.

suggest me a good and cheap powerbackup solution for 4 X antminer L3+ & 2 X 1000 Watt Desktops

If your power is THAT unreliable, you should give up on mining.

Power drops THAT LONG will not give a UPS enough time to recharge the batteries before the next power drop hits, especially if you get multiple drops in a day.

What you want flat out DOES NOT EXIST short of a high end "hybrid" UPS + Backup Generator setup, and those DO NOT COME CHEAP.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:29:26 PM

Can the tesla powerwall be used for such a scenario?   Looked pretty cool when I read about them last year.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:36:39 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2017, 02:00:40 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Ja. As QuintLeo said, not cheap.
Around 10 years ago I purchased a GE 13kw natural gas fueled whole-house backup power generator after a 2-week long multi-state power blackout hit my part of the country. Including all installation costs was just over US$11k, automatically self-tests each week and fires up/takes over load in 15-20 seconds. So far been 100% reliable with nothing needed besides normal routine service items.

After getting into mining I picked up 3 Cyberpower 2.2kVA/1,800W backup to feed my miners at home until the genset takes over. Bought them using BTC my 2 farms earned but think fiat price was around 1,000USD each in 2014 and actually is still about the same. Check Overstock.com who BTW accept BTC Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:33:44 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2017, 11:44:22 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Can the tesla powerwall be used for such a scenario?   Looked pretty cool when I read about them last year.
Hmm. Wonder of they have 72vdc taps? All of the high-end Cyberpower smart UPS's 1.5kVA on up have connections for external battery packs. The 1.5kVA one uses 36vdc, the 2.2kVA and 3kVA take 72vdc.

Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:06:21 AM

Can the tesla powerwall be used for such a scenario?   Looked pretty cool when I read about them last year.
Yes it can,  but according to Tesla's calculator and some math, he would need about 10 of them to handle that load.
The cost of these would be about $80,000, without including installation fees and additional electrical upgrades if necessary.
Each of these units can do 5kW load steady, but I'm not certain the load scales as you chain them (say 50kW assuming you have 10 of them).

Hmm. Wonder of they have 72vdc taps? All of the high-end Cyberpower smart UPS's 1.5kVA on up have connections for external battery packs. The 1.5kVA one uses 36vdc, the 2.2kVA and 3kVA take 72vdc.
The Tesla Powerwall has no such thing. It's not a UPS but a whole-house, in-wall power backup solution. A UPS is much more affordable.
bitcoinfuck (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 03:34:20 AM

how about I get a 200AH battery invertor for each miner ? 

costs me around 350$ per ( 200AH battery With invertor )

or I can do ( 400AH with one invertor and get 2 miners running on it )

also the power cuts are 2-3 hour maximum.

[/url]
whitrzac

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 04:57:42 AM

Does the internet work when there's no power?

bitcoinfuck (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:13:25 AM

Does the internet work when there's no power?

yes it works fine

[/url]
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:05:34 PM

That could work, but are you sure you'll get all of that money back?
Have you had an electrician check your house first to ensure that the problem is related to the power grid? It could be something local.
bitcoinfuck (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:31:58 AM

That could work, but are you sure you'll get all of that money back?
Have you had an electrician check your house first to ensure that the problem is related to the power grid? It could be something local.

I live in india Pakistan border, all others left the village its like we have only 2 houses here. government is giving free electricity to people - for making them stay, I got free electricity, plenty of air cooled space, only problem is powercut.

[/url]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: