Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:05:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-09 Techcrunch- Your Bitcoins are Finally Worth Something  (Read 1919 times)
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:24:48 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/09/your-bitcoins-are-finally-worth-something/

Basically an article about the fact that Gyft will be accepting BTC and we can convert our BTC into gift cards.

Perhaps it will help spur on more mainstream use?  I am not sure.  I wonder how easily quickly BTC can be transferred to the card for use.  It might be a good idea to keep more "cash" used on a daily basis in BTC and only tranfer what is needed to use, especially if BTC holds it's value better and rises steadily.  Just thinking about this.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:29:25 PM

Excellent news
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:32:47 PM

Basically an article about the fact that Gyft will be accepting BTC and we can convert our BTC into gift cards.

Perhaps it will help spur on more mainstream use?  I am not sure.  I wonder how easily quickly BTC can be transferred to the card for use.  It might be a good idea to keep more "cash" used on a daily basis in BTC and only tranfer what is needed to use, especially if BTC holds it's value better and rises steadily.  Just thinking about this.

since Gyft is a mobile gift card, it looks like the transfer from BTC should be immediate.

yes, the way to do this is to preserve the value of your money by maintaining the BTC balance until you absolutely need to spend USD in the form of the Gyft card, both of which can reside on your Android.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:35:48 PM

since Gyft is a mobile gift card, it looks like the transfer from BTC should be immediate.

yes, the way to do this is to preserve the value of your money by maintaining the BTC balance until you absolutely need to spend USD in the form of the Gyft card, both of which can reside on your Android.

All BTC users should begin doing this.  Gyft was brilliant in taking BTC!  Smiley

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:54:08 PM

"Bitcoin is PayPal on steroids and geeks, who are the perfect target audience because they never give up and have plenty of resources at their disposal, are the ones leading the charge."

My favorite sentence from the article and I'm not even a geek!...I think.
Gabi
Legendary

Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:13:54 PM

Interesting!

tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:28:55 PM

Bitcoin fans going bananas! Humble Double Fine Bundle, Now With Bitcoin!

But techcrunch couldn't report on that. No they only report on buying drugs and guns with USD.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:21:10 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2013, 05:26:29 AM by BTCLuke

Wow, this is pretty freaking awesome news!

At first I was thinking that you'd have to wait for the gift card to be shipped to your or even go pick it up at a store like walmart... But then I read that Gyft has a smartphone app that you can pay with directly, no card required!

Therefore, with a smartphone and some bitcoins, you can see something like a Burger King, decide you want a whopper at a moment's notice, transfer some bitcoin to BK Gift certificate on the Gyft app, and then go inside and buy that whopper... Just awesome.

Quote from: The TC Article
Gyft allows you to purchase gift cards at more than 50,000 retail locations in the U.S., including Brookstone, Lowe’s, GAP, Sephora, Gamestop, American Eagle, Nike, Marriott, Burger King and Fandango.

GAME. ON.   Shocked Cheesy

Edit: Just downloaded the app; All is golden (For android.) -But I hear that apple isn't letting you pay in BTC for their version of the same app. Sad

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Mytche

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:45:59 AM

There is nothing about this I do not like.  Full of win!

I downloaded the app and bought a couple gift cards, everything works prefectly and quick.
Think I will try to use it for all my lunches next week.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:53:55 AM

Literally every day that goes by your dollars are being debased.

You should hold your bitcoins right up until you need to spend them and check the ticker right before you convert .   Grin
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 12:33:36 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2013, 12:45:03 PM by Rygon

Wow. I just checked this out. Looks like there isn't even a fee on the conversion rate compared with MtGox. That's huge. I'll have to play around with this some more to see how easy it is to use. It looks like there isn't an easy way to buy a gift card for yourself. Makes sense, I guess. But I guess you could buy a card, send it to someone else, and have them send it back?

Pretty nice that it includes Amazon, Walmart and Target. I'm eager to see how difficult it is to use this app in the store.

I hope these guys don't have AML problems. I can easily see them having issues though. Sad

Edit: Looks like you can buy a gift card for yourself by buying it with BTC, sending it to your own email, log out of the app, open the email and accept the card by logging back into the account. Yeah, if this thing ever gets popular, it'll be heavily regulated because trading gift cards ~= money exchanging in the eyes of regulators.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 12:46:26 PM

Wow. I just checked this out. Looks like there isn't even a fee on the conversion rate compared with MtGox. That's huge. I'll have to play around with this some more to see how easy it is to use. It looks like there isn't an easy way to buy a gift card for yourself. Makes sense, I guess. But I guess you could buy a card, send it to someone else, and have them send it back?

Pretty nice that it includes Amazon, Walmart and Target. I'm eager to see how difficult it is to use this app in the store.

I hope these guys don't have AML problems. I can easily see them having issues though. Sad

First off, you can buy one for yourself. Just add yourself to the contacts list prior to ordering.

Second, this is the breakthrough we've all been waiting for. It is huge.

We essentially have the credit card conversion tool right on our androids now that allows us to buy just about anything in dollars.

Hold appreciating bitcoin right up to the point you really need to buy something in depreciating dollars.
Rygon

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 12:59:09 PM

First off, you can buy one for yourself. Just add yourself to the contacts list prior to ordering.

We essentially have the credit card conversion tool right on our androids now that allows us to buy just about anything in dollars.

Hold appreciating bitcoin right up to the point you really need to buy something in depreciating dollars.

Agree. Although the list of places you can buy gift cards from is actually much smaller than the list of companies that you can scan cards in from. It includes Amazon, but sadly there is a lack of places that I usually buy groceries from. There's Kmart and a bunch of restaurants, which is a pretty good start though.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:01:58 PM

Agree. Although the list of places you can buy gift cards from is actually much smaller than the list of companies that you can scan cards in from. It includes Amazon, but sadly there is a lack of places that I usually buy groceries from. There's Kmart and a bunch of restaurants, which is a pretty good start though.

Hey, why cook when you can use Foodler?  Cheesy
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:06:49 PM

You can buy groceries at Target.  They're on Gyft.  And their grocery prices are mostly pretty good - their pet food prices are the best.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:19:12 PM

Wow, I didn't know my bitcoins were worthless day before yesterday... I was poor and I didn't even know!

(BFL)^2 < 0
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:29:20 PM

Wow, I didn't know my bitcoins were worthless day before yesterday... I was poor and I didn't even know!

lol.

yeah, all those coins Charlie converted to buy EVR must've been someone's imagination.

not to mention all those girls he hangs out with in the corner booth now...
Rygon

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:32:00 PM

You can buy groceries at Target.  They're on Gyft.  And their grocery prices are mostly pretty good - their pet food prices are the best.

I downloaded the app, and it didn't list Target as a gift card that I could purchase. I could, however, upload a Target gift card.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:16:55 PM

I downloaded the app, and it didn't list Target as a gift card that I could purchase. I could, however, upload a Target gift card.

Crap.  I saw the Target logo and figured...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Mytche

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:54:30 PM

Went to Burger King for lunch bought a $20 card for myself and 2 $10 cards for my buddies. 
Cost me BTC 0.3326.
Took only a few seconds to get the cards.

Got a strange look from the cashier and she had to get a manager who also had never heard of paying with your phone, but had no trouble figuring it out.
Several of the people there said they were going to try it out.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: