Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 01:57:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PNY is salty about mining. Changed their Warranty details.  (Read 2000 times)
GeePeeU (OP)

Activity: 538
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 01:20:14 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2017, 03:11:07 PM by GeePeeU

They now claim they will not honor RMAs for cards utilized by miners.
https://www.pny.com/File%20Library/Support/PNY%20Products/Warranties/GeForce%20Graphics/3-Year-Limited-Warranty.pdf

"THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY WHERE PRODUCT(S) ARE USED TO ANY DEGREE, OUTSIDE OF NORMAL INTENDED
USE, WHICH SHALL INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO “MINING” (e.g., Cryptocurrency, Data Mining, Mining Farms). "

Might just return all my PNY cards that are within window.

Have any other companies made "Cryptocurrency Mining" a No go for their warranty?

*Here is a quick video regarding manufacturers and miners relation with inputs from the manufacturer companies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_oHQPWRWnQ&feature=youtu.be

Always doubt.
Branko

Activity: 2478
Merit: 318

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 01:24:46 PM

https://www.pny.com/File%20Library/Support/PNY%20Products/Warranties/GeForce%20Graphics/3-Year-Limited-Warranty.pdf

"THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY WHERE PRODUCT(S) ARE USED TO ANY DEGREE, OUTSIDE OF NORMAL INTENDED
USE, WHICH SHALL INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO “MINING” (e.g., Cryptocurrency, Data Mining, Mining Farms). "

Have any other companies made "Cryptocurrency Mining" a No go for their warranty?

How they detect its been used for mining?
dbc23

Activity: 1036
Merit: 311

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 01:26:14 PM

Seems unless you have bios modded or hardware modded the cards they'd be pretty hard pressed to say/prove it was used as such.  Also many states/countries have pretty tough laws around modifying warranty terms and what doesn't void a warranty.  At least for cars in the USA technically modifying your car still doesn't void it's warranty, i'd think there's an extrapolation to be made to other warranties from that too.
GeePeeU (OP)

ASK

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 01:28:34 PM

They can't really. They would only be able to see the physical damage on the card, and diagnose the use-case accordingly.. Not the information that was ran through it.

Always doubt.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 01:37:22 PM

The only way is if you label it used as such by buying one their repackaged mining GPU's. Probably best to avoid them anyways.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 02:14:41 PM

The funny thing is Mining in todays world is nothing like the old days, but it is just to scare off noobs.
All the noobs getting in will screw up a card and send it in and say some shit like oh I was mining, then PNY will tell em to get lost.
Abricotier

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 02:18:30 PM

PNY never has been a very clever brand... There are absolutely no increased risks when mining when compared to gaming. They will probably lose some customers, and I wish them so, because such behaviours give bad image of crypto-currencies...

On the other hand, you have smart brands like Sapphire or ASRock who are creating products dedicated to crypto-mining.

____________________A I T H E O N____________________       [   JOIN THE WHITELIST   ]
The digital ecosystem simplifying your world through A.I., robotic, and human symbiosis
█ ██ ███     WHITEPAPER     |     TELEGRAM     |     TWITTER     |     INSTAGRAM     ███ ██ █
GeePeeU (OP)

ASK

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 02:25:06 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2017, 02:41:48 PM by GeePeeU

PNY never has been a very clever brand... There are absolutely no increased risks when mining when compared to gaming. They will probably lose some customers, and I wish them so, because such behaviours give bad image of crypto-currencies...

On the other hand, you have smart brands like Sapphire or ASRock who are creating products dedicated to crypto-mining.

And given you down your voltage, and keep optimal temperatures, that's not really a toll on the card. But as the other guy mentioned, a lot of new miners will OC their cards 110% Power, and run 90c all day as long as they are making money now, then rma it once it's broke or profits sink.

Always doubt.
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 02:35:12 PM

PNY sucks anyways and their warranty is mostly garbage.

There was a time that I used to buy PNY products but after several bad warranty experiences from near a decade ago now, I'll never buy another one of their products.
Abricotier

Activity: 93

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:31:20 PM

And given you down your voltage, and keep optimal temperatures, that's not really a toll on the card. But as the other guy mentioned, a lot of new miners will OC their cards 110% Power, and run 90c all day as long as they are making money now, then rma it once it's broke or profits sink.

Even this might not be a very hard load on the card. They are designed to hold the worst. For exemple, I have a gaming computer, which I have since 2012, and when I play the card reaches easily 95°C, but yet I never had any problem with it. PNY just does not want to bother with problems coming from the bad quality of its products.

____________________A I T H E O N____________________       [   JOIN THE WHITELIST   ]
The digital ecosystem simplifying your world through A.I., robotic, and human symbiosis
█ ██ ███     WHITEPAPER     |     TELEGRAM     |     TWITTER     |     INSTAGRAM     ███ ██ █
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2017, 03:04:40 PM

*Here is a quick video regarding manufacturers and miners relation with inputs from the manufacturer companies.

Well damn... but I don't see how they would know it was for mining.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
chiwalfrm

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 06:46:07 PM

The BIOS just needs to check if any of the standard mining algorithms were executed on the GPU, such as SHA256, Equihash, Ethash, etc., and if such an algorithm is detected over a sustained period of time, then trigger an e-fuse to mark the GPU as warranty-voided.

Branko

Activity: 2478
Merit: 318

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:04:14 PM

The BIOS just needs to check if any of the standard mining algorithms were executed on the GPU, such as SHA256, Equihash, Ethash, etc., and if such an algorithm is detected over a sustained period of time, then trigger an e-fuse to mark the GPU as warranty-voided.

THAT easy? We're all doomed
GeePeeU (OP)

ASK

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:22:40 PM

Don't give them ideas !  Lips sealed

Always doubt.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:42:24 PM

Don't give them ideas !  Lips sealed

Kind of hard to check a bios on a fried GPU don't ya think?

and if the card was just starting to artifact then people would completely fry it so they can't check the E-fuse.  In that case it would be self-defeating as they couldn't just swap out some caps, memory controller etc and resale as refurbished anymore.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:01:34 PM

Does PNY even make any AMD chipsets? Never really saw this brand locally.

I think they only do NVIDIA, and those you never flash the bios.

The way they can tell that you were a miner is simply by looking at your receipt that you need to hand in when you submit an RMA. If they see that you bought 10-20 GPUs, then they can easily say you were a miner.

If you bought 2 GPUs then they can't do anything.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:18:22 PM

PNY used to make AMD cards - I had one of their TI4600 (not HD 4xxx, the PRE HD-series from many years back) cards.

I don't know if they still do, as their quality has dropped over the years and I stopped paying attention to them.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:23:04 PM

PNY used to make AMD cards - I had one of their TI4600 (not HD 4xxx, the PRE HD-series from many years back) cards.

I don't know if they still do, as their quality has dropped over the years and I stopped paying attention to them.

Im not a NVIDIA owner so I don't know how it works but I am pretty sure no NVIDIA miners flash their bios.
GeePeeU (OP)

ASK

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 09:42:16 PM

Im not a NVIDIA owner so I don't know how it works but I am pretty sure no NVIDIA miners flash their bios.

You are correct. Nvidia cards do not have a dual bios so their is some more risk involved VS AMD cards.

There is also a lack of a good database regarding succesful stable mining straps on flashed nvidia cards, so it seems like risky business to me.

Always doubt.
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 10:37:41 PM

Fuck em, no one uses trash PNY GPU's anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: